What set/location are you sick of seeing?

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
For me, the ones I see to often are those made by ironman13 (i13).
A quick look and I'm sure most people will recognize plenty of these scenes within multiple games.

I'm guessing the reason for this, is overall, they are pretty high quality environments to use, with plenty of props and poses etc. included in them. Plus, they tend to come in a bundle on the Daz store and are usually on offer (they recently we're all around 90% off).

Now, I have no problem with using these types of sets, however, when they are used 'out-of-the-box' in all likelihood, the player will have seen the same set in another game.

If I take the bathroom scene mentioned by Lerd0 in an earlier post. Whenever I see this set, I automatically think of Superpowered (as that was the first time I remember seeing it). That will then break my emersion of the game as I'm now remembering scenes that take place in that game, rather than the one I'm playing.

However, for the person/team making the game, this should be an easy problem to fix.
If you take the 'out-of-the-box' scene:
Bathroom_Example.png
and then add a lick of paint:
Bathroom_Example_paint.png
and adjust a few props:
Bathroom_Example_paint_props.png

You now have a set, although it may be familiar to the player, will not instantly break the immersion of the player by them thinking "I've seen this set before".

Considering this took me 30 minutes to adjust the set (including rendering time), I can't see a reason for using 'out-of-the-box' sets, especially for areas within the game that the player regularly visits. Yeah, some may be more difficult than others to customize, but it should be doable for the maker.

My guess as to why it's so common, is most of the games on here are first time games. Here, the key areas that you visit are usually in release 0.1 when the maker may have limited experience. In addition, the maker has to make a lot of areas in a short period of time, so using 'out-of-the-box' sets seems like a good idea at the time to ensure the first release has as much content as possible. If using these premade scenes saves enough time to create additional sex scenes, surely it's a no-brainer to use them? In my opinion no, but a may be the niche.

Edit: I probably should've spent a little more than 30 mins as the off center painting is driving me nuts

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019
A quick look and I'm sure most people will recognize plenty of these scenes within multiple games.

I'm guessing the reason for this, is overall, they are pretty high quality environments to use, with plenty of props and poses etc. included in them. Plus, they tend to come in a bundle on the Daz store and are usually on offer (they recently we're all around 90% off).

Now, I have no problem with using these types of sets, however, when they are used 'out-of-the-box' in all likelihood, the player will have seen the same set in another game.

If I take the bathroom scene mentioned by Lerd0 in an earlier post. Whenever I see this set, I automatically think of Superpowered (as that was the first time I remember seeing it). That will then break my emersion of the game as I'm now remembering scenes that take place in that game, rather than the one I'm playing.

However, for the person/team making the game, this should be an easy problem to fix.
View attachment 1047089
View attachment 1047088
and adjust a few props:
View attachment 1047087

You now have a set, although it may be familiar to the player, will not instantly break the immersion of the player by them thinking "I've seen this set before".

Considering this took me 30 minutes to adjust the set (including rendering time), I can't see a reason for using 'out-of-the-box' sets, especially for areas within the game that the player regularly visits. Yeah, some may be more difficult than others to customize, but it should be doable for the maker.

My guess as to why it's so common, is most of the games on here are first time games. Here, the key areas that you visit are usually in release 0.1 when the maker may have limited experience. In addition, the maker has to make a lot of areas in a short period of time, so using 'out-of-the-box' sets seems like a good idea at the time to ensure the first release has as much content as possible. If using these premade scenes saves enough time to create additional sex scenes, surely it's a no-brainer to use them? In my opinion no, but a may be the niche.

Edit: I probably should've spent a little more than 30 mins as the off center painting is driving me nuts
It's the painting that is getting to you? It's the weird yellow tiles that are getting to me haha. But I agree, I too am instantly brought back to Superpowered when I see this set and you most likely are correct about people using the sets just out of the box in their early releases. The same could be said of clothing, there is one particular mesh shirt that I have seen in at least ten different games and another would be "Z Fitness" yoga pants, the best example for this would be Bella from Being a DIK but it is in many other games as well.

Now I am not criticizing anyone here. I understand that asset creation is not easy and the daz store and others are just so full that I cannot blame anyone for buying some things to help them along. But you just demonstrated how a slight change could affect a very familiar place and I wish more would do that as well.

Also damn! I just looked at the link you posted and well, you're right. I have seen nearly all of his sets many times. At the same time, I never saw his sets being used extensively and given the $50 price tag on the boutique, now I just feel bad for pointing the overuse of sets out even as a joke.

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
It's the weird yellow tiles that are getting to me haha
Lol, at least you're thinking "Who would buy crazy tiles like that" rather than "Is the Mom from Superpowered going to end up drunk in the shower at some point".

On clothing, these can be more difficult than Sets to change, as a lot of the time, the materials only work for those specific clothes and changing them can be difficult, especially for beginners. Therefore, I do give more leeway for repetitive clothing (and the same for hair as this is even more difficult).

For the pricing, I really hope the makers aren't paying the full price. The older sets, which are the ones that get re-used most often, come on sale fairly regularly. I bought the Boutique Bundle (which is also another one that is well over used) when it was down to $5 last month so don't feel too bad, especially for newer games.

Anyway, if Hollywood can reuse stuff, why shouldn't adult games:
1613937062925.png

Reactions: An Ace Among Men
Oct 8, 2019
Lol, at least you're thinking "Who would buy crazy tiles like that" rather than "Is the Mom from Superpowered going to end up drunk in the shower at some point".

On clothing, these can be more difficult than Sets to change, as a lot of the time, the materials only work for those specific clothes and changing them can be difficult, especially for beginners. Therefore, I do give more leeway for repetitive clothing (and the same for hair as this is even more difficult).

For the pricing, I really hope the makers aren't paying the full price. The older sets, which are the ones that get re-used most often, come on sale fairly regularly. I bought the Boutique Bundle (which is also another one that is well over used) when it was down to $5 last month so don't feel too bad, especially for newer games.

Anyway, if Hollywood can reuse stuff, why shouldn't adult games:
View attachment 1047606
Ah I see you're a fellow cinema Sins fan haha. But to stay on topic, reused assets can work in a stories favor. No joke, I almost peed laughing at Daughter from DMD and MC from Milfy City showing up in "The Awakening". But my original post and that set in particular seems to be everywhere, to an extent that just like Cinema Sins, I say "game contains Haven Park cliche". But I do want to state again that I never meant any of this seriously. I've played enough bad games that I can appreciate when a dev actually sets a scene, I just wish a few more would customize the sets as you demonstrated earlier.

Jash83

Jun 8, 2019

View attachment 1047089
View attachment 1047088
and adjust a few props:
View attachment 1047087

Jesus, it's that easy?! I didn't even know you could adjust the predesigned sets that people use, I thought people were forced to either reuse the same stock locations as everyone else unchanged unless they wanted to create their own from scratch!

Well, there goes the last traces of my tolerance for lazy asshole developers plopping unmodified stock assets into their games...

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
that set in particular seems to be everywhere
You'll be happy to hear I've removed it from the game I'm making a few weeks back. I think one of the reasons it's so popular, is that it's fairly easy to setup a scene with it as the bridge itself covers a lot of the open space background that, with other parks, you'd have to put something in it's place.

plopping unmodified stock assets
I don't have an issue with using unmodified stock assets in general. However, for locations, if it's a main location I feel it should be unique for that game. As I'm making a game, my definition of 'main location' is any location the player is likely to go to often or a location that has a significant important scene taking place inside it. This means I will likely use some out of the box sets, but these will mainly be for 'transition' scenes. If you're walking down a street for example, modifying an existing street model will take a much longer time than a single room and if you're only using it for one or two renders, it's not worth it, as in this scenario, my time is better spent elsewhere.

Anyway, to keep it light, the one Set that for some reason just irritates me when I see it is the .
1613947615939.png
It tends to pop up now and then, and for some reason, whenever I see it in a game, I just get annoyed. No idea why. It might be the excessive amount of wood paneling, the impossible to read blackboard or the fact that it's a big room that always has little to no people in it (it would be difficult to fully populate the room with people).
Either that or I had a traumatic experience playing a game that used it and now whenever I see it, I subconsciously get reminded of that game and my brain screams "Noooooooooooo".

Oct 8, 2019
You'll be happy to hear I've removed it from the game I'm making a few weeks back. I think one of the reasons it's so popular, is that it's fairly easy to setup a scene with it as the bridge itself covers a lot of the open space background that, with other parks, you'd have to put something in it's place.

I don't have an issue with using unmodified stock assets in general. However, for locations, if it's a main location I feel it should be unique for that game. As I'm making a game, my definition of 'main location' is any location the player is likely to go to often or a location that has a significant important scene taking place inside it. This means I will likely use some out of the box sets, but these will mainly be for 'transition' scenes. If you're walking down a street for example, modifying an existing street model will take a much longer time than a single room and if you're only using it for one or two renders, it's not worth it, as in this scenario, my time is better spent elsewhere.

Anyway, to keep it light, the one Set that for some reason just irritates me when I see it is the .
View attachment 1048015
It tends to pop up now and then, and for some reason, whenever I see it in a game, I just get annoyed. No idea why. It might be the excessive amount of wood paneling, the impossible to read blackboard or the fact that it's a big room that always has little to no people in it (it would be difficult to fully populate the room with people).
Either that or I had a traumatic experience playing a game that used it and now whenever I see it, I subconsciously get reminded of that game and my brain screams "Noooooooooooo".
Let me see, Being a DIK women's studies, Twists of my Life, Unleashed, I think Element174, and at least six others but I don't remember their names as I only saw the set in the previews and never got around to playing the game. You touched on it but what gets me about this location is that you can see evidence of people but never the people themselves. Kinda like a reverse of the Star Wars prequels that showed so much action but never any signs that something happened like scorch marks and the like.

You mention that you're developing your own game and removed Haven Park from it. Now I am not one to tell others what they should and should not do but given what your project seems to be to me, I think you could actually add a great spin on it. Imagine different times that you visit the park and it is under construction, with equipment everywhere and maybe blend it with another park to make it appear much bigger than it really is. Now, this is just me throwing ideas out there with not much experience when it comes to building my own scenes as my laptop almost sets itself on fire whenever I open DAZ but if the idea is possible, I believe that it would be something cool to see. But again, that is your game and I don't mean to overstep after all the worst vice is advice and I sin too often, I just wanted to say that it appears you have the skills to use the idea so I had to mention it.

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
Let me see, Being a DIK women's studies, Twists of my Life, Unleashed, I think Element174, and at least six others but I don't remember their names as I only saw the set in the previews and never got around to playing the game. You touched on it but what gets me about this location is that you can see evidence of people but never the people themselves. Kinda like a reverse of the Star Wars prequels that showed so much action but never any signs that something happened like scorch marks and the like.

You mention that you're developing your own game and removed Haven Park from it. Now I am not one to tell others what they should and should not do but given what your project seems to be to me, I think you could actually add a great spin on it. Imagine different times that you visit the park and it is under construction, with equipment everywhere and maybe blend it with another park to make it appear much bigger than it really is. Now, this is just me throwing ideas out there with not much experience when it comes to building my own scenes as my laptop almost sets itself on fire whenever I open DAZ but if the idea is possible, I believe that it would be something cool to see. But again, that is your game and I don't mean to overstep after all the worst vice is advice and I sin too often, I just wanted to say that it appears you have the skills to use the idea so I had to mention it.
Yeah, reminds me of the Mary Celeste. However, it's a problem with any Set that's too big. Populating the scene is resource intensive so very difficult to render efficiently. Something to always be aware of when making the settings for any game (just look at how many 'empty' RPGM game areas there are). It never helps this set when the first scene is usually in the top corner, looking over the entire, empty, scene.

You've pretty much nailed my plan for when you build the park. You'll need to visit it as it gets built and make a few choices about it's development. However, I'll be using another model rather than Haven Park. This is mainly because it is so common but also because it would make no sense to build a bridge through it when it's only a small village. Luckily, I managed to find a model that is used less often and can easily customize it to give an unique feel.

Reactions: An Ace Among Men