What was added to a game that partially/completely turned you away from it?

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Are we talking active development or just something in a game that ripped me out of it?

In terms of active development... I guess a general answer would be if a game has decent variety for a while but suddenly starts spending months on end on 1 single fetish or character I dislike, to the exclusion of all else. I don't mind revamps or the OCCASIONAL save break, but if save breaks are too common or I dislike the revamps enough, that can be an issue too. Or if the dev is a twat

In more general terms... blatantly nonconsensual content (whether that be rape, NTR, drugs, etc), severe/out of place memeing (I don't mind some, tho), vapid moralizing of real-world issues handled with all the gentle care of a bull in a china shop, or ongoing save compatibility issues. Shitty characters in general can do it too, especially if it's a more text/story-focused game, but it can depend on the animations lol.

In general, I'll give a game more slack if they have an interesting setting/characters, but those four things are probably the main dealbreakers for me. More specific stuff I usually just won't download, ex. I don't like NTR so I generally won't download a game with that in the tags, no point in listing it as a dealbreaker midgame.

Reactions: Hollowedzs and Sole

Mandoto

Mar 23, 2021
Are we talking active development or just something in a game that ripped me out of it?
A game that is actively developed and that you actively follow, up until something is added in an update that makes you lose interest or quit following it. Like if a character you liked from a game was suddenly ran over by a car in said games next update.

Reactions: Cryswar
Jun 13, 2020
When I realize not only I have to be defeated by the monster to get to see the CG, but also I have to be leveled enough to defeat it and progress the story.

• Sad
Reactions: Sole

novabeaver

Mar 29, 2021
When the game suddenly gets too heavy/serious (unexpected violent scene in otherwise not violent setting/suddenly becomes more rapey then it was on average so far/a character dies etc.). The worst recently: first sex scene was watching your love interest being sexually assaulted in a game that claimed "not planned: rape".

When the game forces me to do something inconsistent with decisions I made until then.

When I'm forced to progress with girl B's story in order to continue the route I want with girl A.

The game let me grind forever without purpose e.g. it looks like there's items to buy but the game only tells you that the store is a placeholder after you enough money to try buying them...

JuniorAT

Dec 25, 2017
Adventures of Willy D and its bloated-ness made me stop playing. With every update more and more girls were being added. I guess that's the point of the game; to get with as many girls as possible. It just seemed like the story was going nowhere. Nothing out of left field tho, just more of the same shit going on and on, so I lost interest.

I appreciate the effort from the dev and some of the scenes where hot or amusing. Maybe someday I'll see what has happened to the game.

Reactions: Mandoto

Raven Hex

Aug 11, 2018
As a woman I hate all fetishes based on humiliation.

curse/ignore/or belong to recycle bin:

* blackmail
* rape
* cuckold (i despise beta-cuck men's)
* bbc (interracial racist "supremacy" dog shit)
* prostitution
* ntr

These and many other similar fetishes immediately kill my desire to play and support the developer.

Reactions: AmazonessKing

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Mentioned already but new update, old save doesn't work, dev doesn't include a way to skip to new content, cba play trough it again -> drop game until that's resolved.
A game losing focus, specific characters draw me in and I hope more of their content, dev adds new random whores every patch because large variety is easier than deep progression into a character so I have to wait a year to get 5 mins of content I prefer.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I never had problems with blackmail, extortion or money managment in general, but in A Family Venture (not a spoiler really) you first have to pay money to one group of bad guys, and then another one appears, all while winning enough money to buy objects and progress with the story.

So when the second group of bad people appeared asking for money I was like "Meh, I don't even like this game that much, too complicated"

Reactions: Mandoto

chujkus

Mar 23, 2019
For me it's NTR, sudden violence, lesbian "shows" for the male protag especially in harem games when the girls making the "show" are also your girlfriends and there's no problem joining them, but for some reason they thought that that watching them kissing each other is hotter for you than you fucking the shit outta them.

And one thing that nearly got me to delete the game was:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Sole

HELIO CESAR

May 30, 2018
What was added to a game that partially/completely turned you away from it?
the Abandoned tag :cry:...

jokes aside i am a curious fucker, if i get hopped up in a history it has to be a really bad plot twist to make me stop, at max i 'speed read' to get a general idea of the plot, even that boring ass WVM i check once a year to see if mc got to touch Hazel or something, but lately i am getting fed up with bland tropes such as; "nice sister vs utterly insufferable sister pairs", "force lesbian scenes or sudden bisexuallity to justify harem" and also games that don't take their own plot seriorisly, i love some casual humor and drama, but some times devs focus to much in giving a bigger volume of scenes over small but meaningfull ones, that the plot stop moving.

Jack Madrigal

Aug 12, 2023
Interracial, somehow some dev decide out of nowhere to put it in their game a black character, visibly different when all others are just grey silhouettes, and it's not in a nice way, whatever smooth brain moderator think, it's not racist, it's called preference.

I said it before and i'll say it again some devs use black peoples to put an emphasis on the "degradation" aspect and THAT is racist, and I hate it.

batmantitties

Sep 17, 2017
I always dislike when a game focuses on some characters for x number of updates and completely forgets about others. I won't completely drop a game because of that but I also won't care about it until the characters I actually care about get some new content.
An example of this is Daily Lives of my Countryside, sure I like the other girls but we all know it is all about aunt Daisy and there have been a couple of updates focusing on some of the side girls while nothing new happens with her.
I wish devs that did this would just add a little bit of content for a few characters per update rather than more content for just one character.

Aug 11, 2023
Suddenly having to do an unskippable fighting mini game that takes 5 minutes to get through, win or lose, and winning or losing is a false outcome, because the guy I'm fighting ends up winning no matter what the outcome of the mini game is.

Unskippable puzzles that are unnatural/out of place in the context of where they're put in the game. Optional puzzles that unlock extra content are cool; these are not.

Non-canon holiday themed updates with no main-game content included with it.

lamba

Jul 10, 2018
Champions of Corruption started as a TF-centric text based adventure game that had contributing writers each slapping their Original Characters™ to the game even if they were a bad fit. Don't even dislike it, but the fact that there are so many characters in the game that are blatant waifu bait is annoying.

Devs when they fail to balance content releases or recognize that they'll be routinely making updates that break saves but then committing to a completely linear game, meaning they expect people to play through it all multiple times. Oh, and the game has no text skip function like Renpy does by default.

Devs who don't understand that cutting content is usually a good thing when it's the difference between getting a game out the door and not at all.

Completely unnecessary gameplay loops and minigames shoved into the game for no reason other than to pad out time.

Games that don't make effective use of the tools used to make them. Ton of games in RPG maker could just be made in Renpy and lose nothing for it.

masterwolf25

Aug 30, 2019
Roundscape Adorevia replacing old art with new AI generated art. I'm not entirely against replacing bad art made by multiple different artists if it makes the art more consistent with what the newer art looks like, I'm not even entirely against using AI art to do it if the new artists don't have the time or motivation to redo someone else's past work (though I will always HEAVILY prefer human made art and do tend to avoid AI). I AM however entirely against AI art that is so utterly atrocious that it adds hands coming out of a girls vagina. The art from before wasn't great but it's miles better than that. Immediate pass.

Reactions: RedPillBlues

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Roundscape Adorevia replacing old art with new AI generated art. I'm not entirely against replacing bad art made by multiple different artists if it makes the art more consistent with what the newer art looks like, I'm not even entirely against using AI art to do it if the new artists don't have the time or motivation to redo someone else's past work (though I will always HEAVILY prefer human made art and do tend to avoid AI). I AM however entirely against AI art that is so utterly atrocious that it adds hands coming out of a girls vagina. The art from before wasn't great but it's miles better than that. Immediate pass.
I was also going to say AI art, not for Roundscape though, but for Divine Adventure.