What would you guys like to see in a new title? Help me plan my game!

Professional Degenerate

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2020
So I'm an aspiring game developer who, being a man of culture, has decided to take a crack at developing an Adult game. Over the years I have played a rather large number of games on this site and have a couple of ideas of whats good/bad for these sorts of games, however I'm making this post to ask some of you fellow pervs what sorts of things you particularly enjoy/would like to see. I would be most appreciative if you would take the time to answer some of my questions or even just share any other thoughts on the matter/give advice to a newbie.

As someone who is much more into the tech side of game development I have little to no artistic skills aside from pixel art. For my games artwork I would render scenes in one of the following. DAZ3D, Honey select 1, Honey select 2 or Koikatsu. Which of these do you guys prefer and if you have any experience with development are there any reasons you like one of these software's more than others?

As much as I enjoy Visual novels I believe I would get rather bored creating one. I want to add other elements of game-play into my project. Do you guys think more complex game-play such as exploration, puzzles and combat have a place in these sorts of games, or do you find that they take away from your enjoyment by slowing down your access to the lewd stuffs.

I had an Idea to utilize RPG Maker for my project seeing as I could confidently create the pixel art required for unique and interesting levels and know a fair bit about the engine. What do you guys feel about RPG Maker games?
I personally hate the combat in them and would most likely either not include combat at all, instead using RPG maker to allow the player to move between VN segments, solving puzzles, buying/finding items and discovering secrets.

Thank you all for your time reading my post, I hope to talk to you guys a bit more in the responses to gain a better idea of what the community would like to see.

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
1. I'm not a fan of any of these, but HS2 can be decent. I actively avoid Koikatu and HS.

2. I actually can't get invested in a VN or anything that doesn't have a proper gameplay loop. Doesn't have to be award-winning but it should be engaging (so not broken or too easy). RPG, strategy, management are good, action is fine too. Puzzles, not so much.

3. Some of my favorites are on RPGM. I feel lukewarm towards the engine itself, but it just so happens that a lot of the devs that handle the themes I want (corruption, humiliation etc.) with halfway-decent gameplay do so on RPGM. E.g. Star Knightess Aura has fairly classic, but well-balanced and challenging, RPGM gameplay, while Karryn's Prison goes above and beyond, incorporating all the sex content into the custom combat system. Even if there isn't gameplay though, at least there can be an element of exploration, puzzle-solving and minigames, which is still better to me than a VN. For example, Alansya Chronicles, Henteria Chronicles.

ScaryFairy

Jun 6, 2021
Hey mate first of all I'm also making one but for some complexity in my region it's taking too much time. When you're making one the first thing you should focus on is the plot and the fetishes you will include. That is the main thing people will look into and will decide whether to play it or not. The art is also important but you know you can't satisfy everyone. Some will like DAZ some will Illusion. But frankly speaking there will be few number of people who will pass it just for the art given if your story is good enough. Take an example of My New Family. I wouldn't say it has some very good art but it's one of the popular game in F95.

The next thing is you need to understand it's not an AAA title game. There is no investor other than the player. You don't need to care about the playtime and complexity instead I would say most of people hate sandbox and complex game. This games are meant to be played to release some stress after a busy and tough day(at least I think so) and you're again putting complexity there and believe me if you are an ok writer you don't need to put that sandbox there instead put a bit more story elements. Cause the more frequent and long your update the more popular your game will be in short time. But again if you like it then do it.

The last thing is if you're making it just for fun then you don't need to care about this things much but if you are making one to be noticed then you have to listen consider and implement what your players want and what other popular ones have in your game unless you HATE it. That also doesn't mean you will just copy it and one very important thing is to be clear about the fetishes you will do. People will start a war in your thread if there is sudden NTR out of nowhere and man this is a personal tip don't do any fetishes for cash if you don't like them.

In the end it's your game do what you like first. The main thing is to enjoy what you're doing. I really like erotic story writing and it's a better way to make people read it rather than just putting it to a random erotic site. One last thing before I forget good luck to your project mate.

Reactions: 246 and Mimir's Lab

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
So I'm an aspiring game developer who, being a man of culture, has decided to take a crack at developing an Adult game.
Then, unless you've experience in complex software development and story writing, starts with something simple, precisely to earn this experience. Playing adult games tend to be misleading, letting you think that it's something easy to do, what it absolutely isn't, and to many starting devs end abandoning their game because they greatly underestimated the complexity of their project.

Over the years I have played a rather large number of games on this site and have a couple of ideas of whats good/bad for these sorts of games, however I'm making this post to ask some of you fellow pervs what sorts of things you particularly enjoy/would like to see.
I played probably thousands adult games since I played my first one in the early 90's, and I still don't have an answer to this question. There's games with solid stories that I don't enjoy, while there's games with average story for which I don't miss an update. Games with complex mechanism that I replay, while others with similar game mechanism annoy me. And so on, it's not a question of "what's inside", and more about the alchemy created by the combination of everything.

For my games artwork I would render scenes in one of the following. DAZ3D, Honey select 1, Honey select 2 or Koikatsu. Which of these do you guys prefer and if you have any experience with development are there any reasons you like one of these software's more than others?
They all have their pros and cons, depending mostly of your own capabilities. By example, some find Illusion's Studios easier to use for posing/expression because of their basic approach, others prefer Daz Studio for this because of the many pose/expression packs ; all depend of how easily you achieve to represent the what you want in your own mind.
As for their adequacy with the game, it also depend. A too serious story would possibly suffer of the "childish" looks that sometime come from Koikatsu, but globally as long as the story is interesting and the CG accurate enough, even a game using Sims for the CG can find a strong fan base.

As much as I enjoy Visual novels I believe I would get rather bored creating one. I want to add other elements of game-play into my project. Do you guys think more complex game-play such as exploration, puzzles and combat have a place in these sorts of games, or do you find that they take away from your enjoyment by slowing down your access to the lewd stuffs.
Once again it's a question of adequacy. Sakura Dungeon was one of the best sells for Winged Cloud, due to its 3D like dungeons and combats. There's also Summertime Saga, that is one of the most successful games and have many mini-games. So people who say that players want something basic are wrongs. But in the same times, yes, many games that tried to goes further than VN failed, because they did it wrong.
Whatever game mechanism you decide to add, they must have a reason to be here, and by this I don't mean a reason in your head, but in the story. Many RPG Maker (but not only) Western games fail because of this. There's one I generally use as example (without remembering its name), that force you to pass through some kind of sewers and fight against rats every time you left the house. It's the example of what shouldn't be done. Not only this part is too frequent in the game, but it also make no sense at all. Same for games where you need to solve a puzzle to earn MC's money ; unless the needs for money is punctual and don't need you to solve tons of puzzles.
The game mechanism should add something significant to the game and be consistent with the story. It also have to be either the base of the game (like the dungeon exploration with combat in Sakura Dungeon), or be limited in time (like the training games in Summertime Saga).
And finally, you should present them early in the game. Don't let players be hooked by your story, then present them game mechanism that they'll possibly dislike. People will more easily silently pass on a game that clearly isn't for them if they discover this right from the start, than on a game that interest them, but suddenly become something they would have never tried to play.

I had an Idea to utilize RPG Maker for my project seeing as I could confidently create the pixel art required for unique and interesting levels and know a fair bit about the engine. What do you guys feel about RPG Maker games?
It's the most take or leave game engine, and because of this it have a really bad reputation when it come for Western games. Too many devs used it in the wrong way, making their game become a walk simulator more than anything else. They put big maps and make the player have to move from one side to another between each scene, leading to half, when not more, of the play time being just you looking at the MC moving on the map.
It also limits what you can do with the CG. Unless you tweak the whole thing (what it totally possible), as you present it, it will be a game where half of the time the player will face 2D drawing, then pass to 3D renders each time a scene will pop-up. With Koikatsu for the CG it can probably pass, but Honey Select would be a bit too realistic, and Daz Studio way too realistic (unless you use a 2D style shader).

I personally hate the combat in them and would most likely either not include combat at all, instead using RPG maker to allow the player to move between VN segments, solving puzzles, buying/finding items and discovering secrets.
Sorry to say this, but I already dislike your game.
The main interest in choosing RPG Maker is the "exploration & combat" part. Puzzles with this engine tend to be really limited, while finding items and discovering secrets are done better with any other engines ; it need more than walking on the right tile. This left only one reason to use RPG Maker, the use of the map to pass from a scene to another, what is the reason why RPG Maker past from being one of the preferred engine to the most hated one.

Reactions: 246

Professional Degenerate

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2020
1. I'm not a fan of any of these, but HS2 can be decent. I actively avoid Koikatu and HS.

2. I actually can't get invested in a VN or anything that doesn't have a proper gameplay loop. Doesn't have to be award-winning but it should be engaging (so not broken or too easy). RPG, strategy, management are good, action is fine too. Puzzles, not so much.

3. Some of my favorites are on RPGM. I feel lukewarm towards the engine itself, but it just so happens that a lot of the devs that handle the themes I want (corruption, humiliation etc.) with halfway-decent gameplay do so on RPGM. E.g. Star Knightess Aura has fairly classic, but well-balanced and challenging, RPGM gameplay, while Karryn's Prison goes above and beyond, incorporating all the sex content into the custom combat system. Even if there isn't gameplay though, at least there can be an element of exploration, puzzle-solving and minigames, which is still better to me than a VN. For example, Alansya Chronicles, Henteria Chronicles.
Thanks for your insight. I'll definatly check out some of the games you mentioned to see what I can learn from them.

Professional Degenerate

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2020
Then, unless you've experience in complex software development and story writing, starts with something simple, precisely to earn this experience. Playing adult games tend to be misleading, letting you think that it's something easy to do, what it absolutely isn't, and to many starting devs end abandoning their game because they greatly underestimated the complexity of their project.

I played probably thousands adult games since I played my first one in the early 90's, and I still don't have an answer to this question. There's games with solid stories that I don't enjoy, while there's games with average story for which I don't miss an update. Games with complex mechanism that I replay, while others with similar game mechanism annoy me. And so on, it's not a question of "what's inside", and more about the alchemy created by the combination of everything.

They all have their pros and cons, depending mostly of your own capabilities. By example, some find Illusion's Studios easier to use for posing/expression because of their basic approach, others prefer Daz Studio for this because of the many pose/expression packs ; all depend of how easily you achieve to represent the what you want in your own mind.
As for their adequacy with the game, it also depend. A too serious story would possibly suffer of the "childish" looks that sometime come from Koikatsu, but globally as long as the story is interesting and the CG accurate enough, even a game using Sims for the CG can find a strong fan base.

Once again it's a question of adequacy. Sakura Dungeon was one of the best sells for Winged Cloud, due to its 3D like dungeons and combats. There's also Summertime Saga, that is one of the most successful games and have many mini-games. So people who say that players want something basic are wrongs. But in the same times, yes, many games that tried to goes further than VN failed, because they did it wrong.
Whatever game mechanism you decide to add, they must have a reason to be here, and by this I don't mean a reason in your head, but in the story. Many RPG Maker (but not only) Western games fail because of this. There's one I generally use as example (without remembering its name), that force you to pass through some kind of sewers and fight against rats every time you left the house. It's the example of what shouldn't be done. Not only this part is too frequent in the game, but it also make no sense at all. Same for games where you need to solve a puzzle to earn MC's money ; unless the needs for money is punctual and don't need you to solve tons of puzzles.
The game mechanism should add something significant to the game and be consistent with the story. It also have to be either the base of the game (like the dungeon exploration with combat in Sakura Dungeon), or be limited in time (like the training games in Summertime Saga).
And finally, you should present them early in the game. Don't let players be hooked by your story, then present them game mechanism that they'll possibly dislike. People will more easily silently pass on a game that clearly isn't for them if they discover this right from the start, than on a game that interest them, but suddenly become something they would have never tried to play.

It's the most take or leave game engine, and because of this it have a really bad reputation when it come for Western games. Too many devs used it in the wrong way, making their game become a walk simulator more than anything else. They put big maps and make the player have to move from one side to another between each scene, leading to half, when not more, of the play time being just you looking at the MC moving on the map.
It also limits what you can do with the CG. Unless you tweak the whole thing (what it totally possible), as you present it, it will be a game where half of the time the player will face 2D drawing, then pass to 3D renders each time a scene will pop-up. With Koikatsu for the CG it can probably pass, but Honey Select would be a bit too realistic, and Daz Studio way too realistic (unless you use a 2D style shader).

Sorry to say this, but I already dislike your game.
The main interest in choosing RPG Maker is the "exploration & combat" part. Puzzles with this engine tend to be really limited, while finding items and discovering secrets are done better with any other engines ; it need more than walking on the right tile. This left only one reason to use RPG Maker, the use of the map to pass from a scene to another, what is the reason why RPG Maker past from being one of the preferred engine to the most hated one.
Thank you so much for your detailed response. You've definstly given me some good points to consider during my planning.

Nunu312

Smut Peddler
Game Developer
Jul 25, 2018
I've got a three point plan for you, and a bunch of this is stuff you just got told:

1. Tight scope. So much of game development can very easily be a massive slog. For every cool sexy thing you get to make you will have to create twice as many things that you hate doing (probably a worst case scenario, but thats what you should plan for). How many backgrounds and locations do you need? If you have a set piece object, where is the art for that coming from? If you are doing something more advanced than a visual novel, how many underlying systems will you need? By keeping all of this stuff as constrained as possible you will end up with a goal that is achievable. By cutting away everything that can be cut you end up with the most solid core, be brutal about this. You can expand it later if you have room to or the story turns out to need it. This is your first game and you might not want to dedicated the next 2 years of your free time to something you're polling the crowd about.

2. Make sure you have the knowledge to do what you want to do. I don't know how good a coder you are, this might be a moot point. Nothing will sap your will to carry on than getting stuck researching a massive cludge you've glued together and you've got no idea how to fix. If you can sit down, think of a game system and know how you're going to put it together code wise, you will be able to make progress every time you sit down to work. In general if you sit down and dedicate an 8 hour block to making your game and come out the other end with no visible progress, you will rapidly find yourself looking for another hobby.

3. Go completely crazy. You want what your doing to stand out in some way, you're not going to get that with consensual sex in the missionary position. Hold back none of your fetishes, they will draw people into your game and give people things to talk about. And I also mean your fetishes, because you are writing this and you need to enjoy the writing of it. This will feedback into your own drive to continue. Earlier today I played a fantastic game that the creator was asking how to get feedback on, still early days but it was just beautiful, lots of animations, fantastic backgrounds, good story. There was nothing wrong about it for people to discuss, and there was nothing crazy either. Earned many thumbs up but not many meaningful comments, so be crazy. Be something people want to talk about.

Reactions: 246

zaplayer

Jan 14, 2018
So I'm an aspiring game developer who, being a man of culture, has decided to take a crack at developing an Adult game. Over the years I have played a rather large number of games on this site and have a couple of ideas of whats good/bad for these sorts of games, however I'm making this post to ask some of you fellow pervs what sorts of things you particularly enjoy/would like to see. I would be most appreciative if you would take the time to answer some of my questions or even just share any other thoughts on the matter/give advice to a newbie.
Sure.

As someone who is much more into the tech side of game development I have little to no artistic skills aside from pixel art. For my games artwork I would render scenes in one of the following. DAZ3D, Honey select 1, Honey select 2 or Koikatsu. Which of these do you guys prefer and if you have any experience with development are there any reasons you like one of these software's more than others?
I prefer genesis 8 + models. I don't like Honey select or 2d art or similar to those two. Daz Studio has plenty stuff but sure it does lack some. Areas like NSFW you can't find them in daz store but there are stores like renderosity or renderotica where you can find them. Depending on what your story will be, genre or setup, i think you can find mostly everything you want.

You can make an AVN sandbox style. I want to avoid RPGMaker, for personal reasons, too much coding, too much hassle etc. There are some AVN that have those elements, maybe not explorations per say but similar, hidden messages that give you special renders or similar stuff. BaDIK has combat(i'm sure there are more than this game but this fell to my mind first). Also, make sure you don't overdo it with grinding.

There are some games that have RPG Maker and are really good, sadly most of them are not. 2 games that i like are Treasure of Nadia and My New Life 2 Rewamped. Both have RPG Maker both are good but i don't like the RPG Maker, takes too much coding, you have to build your map etc. Instead i think renpy you can make a map and do some renders as the movement and then you are done. Also there are a few developers who don't like the idea of RPG Maker. Anyway have fun and hope you create a masterpiece.
Thank you all for your time reading my post, I hope to talk to you guys a bit more in the responses to gain a better idea of what the community would like to see.

Dec 14, 2021
This is my point of view as a fan. Not a dev.

Have you considered data-based approach? Like take top 100 or so games and see what makes the most money. Like label each game for its engine, mechanics, models, update frequency, etc. And see what works best on average.

People complained about Honey Select/Illusion graphics, but some of them make decent amount of money. But obviously much lower ceilings that 2D arts or Daz. And some people just produce much better stuffs with Honey Select. Like Unlimited Pleasure dev.

Non-Japanese RPG Maker games have bad performance. No exception. Although personally I think navigating the map with your character between scenes makes a good pacing. Instead of just skipping dialogue by holding ctrl on renpy games.
Unity is quite popular too. I just assume they want to learn realTM video game engine.

Mechanics wise, I think Corruption is perfect. It's unfortunate the dev got lazy with the models and CGs.

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
Over the years I have played a rather large number of games on this site and have a couple of ideas of whats good/bad for these sorts of games, ...

Do you guys think more complex game-play such as exploration, puzzles and combat have a place in these sorts of games, or do you find that they take away from your enjoyment by slowing down your access to the lewd stuffs.
If you have to ask that, then the "rather large number of games" you've played from this site must not have been very diverse. Of course everyone has different preferences but exploration, actual puzzles, and combat have been staples in adult games since forever. And you're always going to get conflicting responses on this because again, everyone has different preferences. Of course there are people who want those things (me) and of course there are people who hate them.

Just make what YOU want. Period. These threads are pretty useless because everyone wants something different. If you focus on what you want, especially if it's your first game, you'll have better motivation to at least finish it.

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Just make what YOU want. Period. These threads are pretty useless because everyone wants something different. If you focus on what you want, especially if it's your first game, you'll have better motivation to at least finish it.
This is a great advice. One of the things that keeps me going is that I enjoy every kink I include in the game I'm making (still in development yet...it will be up here soon).

Professional Degenerate

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2020
This is my point of view as a fan. Not a dev.

Have you considered data-based approach? Like take top 100 or so games and see what makes the most money. Like label each game for its engine, mechanics, models, update frequency, etc. And see what works best on average.

People complained about Honey Select/Illusion graphics, but some of them make decent amount of money. But obviously much lower ceilings that 2D arts or Daz. And some people just produce much better stuffs with Honey Select. Like Unlimited Pleasure dev.

Non-Japanese RPG Maker games have bad performance. No exception. Although personally I think navigating the map with your character between scenes makes a good pacing. Instead of just skipping dialogue by holding ctrl on renpy games.
Unity is quite popular too. I just assume they want to learn realTM video game engine.

Mechanics wise, I think Corruption is perfect. It's unfortunate the dev got lazy with the models and CGs.
That actually sounds like an interesting idea, I defiantly would be curious to try and see what makes the top games so popular. Thanks for the idea.

Professional Degenerate

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2020
If you have to ask that, then the "rather large number of games" you've played from this site must not have been very diverse. Of course everyone has different preferences but exploration, actual puzzles, and combat have been staples in adult games since forever. And you're always going to get conflicting responses on this because again, everyone has different preferences. Of course there are people who want those things (me) and of course there are people who hate them.

This is true, I certainly wouldn't want invest the large amount of time it takes into a project If I wasn't going to have a passion for it, but I would never underestimate market research. Thanks for the tip though, I can see that its defiantly more about finding an audience than trying to appeal to everyone.

Professional Degenerate

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2020
Sure.

I prefer genesis 8 + models. I don't like Honey select or 2d art or similar to those two. Daz Studio has plenty stuff but sure it does lack some. Areas like NSFW you can't find them in daz store but there are stores like renderosity or renderotica where you can find them. Depending on what your story will be, genre or setup, i think you can find mostly everything you want.

You can make an AVN sandbox style. I want to avoid RPGMaker, for personal reasons, too much coding, too much hassle etc. There are some AVN that have those elements, maybe not explorations per say but similar, hidden messages that give you special renders or similar stuff. BaDIK has combat(i'm sure there are more than this game but this fell to my mind first). Also, make sure you don't overdo it with grinding.

There are some games that have RPG Maker and are really good, sadly most of them are not. 2 games that i like are Treasure of Nadia and My New Life 2 Rewamped. Both have RPG Maker both are good but i don't like the RPG Maker, takes too much coding, you have to build your map etc. Instead i think renpy you can make a map and do some renders as the movement and then you are done. Also there are a few developers who don't like the idea of RPG Maker. Anyway have fun and hope you create a masterpiece.

Thanks for the tips!

Nothing Clever

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Lol, despite me not being a huge anime fan (I'm more of a manga fan, if that makes any sense), I actually prefer Koikatsu's graphics. Here's why. First of all, Daz, while powerful, is still too much in the uncanny valley for me. Actually, when I first saw Daz, I think I described it as 'really high end, bad PS1 cg,' to friends. HS is a bit too much in the middle ground, where it's a bit too realistic, but also not quite cartoony enough. KK is super anime looking, yes, but that's why I think it looks the best-it's art style really pops. It also helps that, ever since I played Windwaker, I have been a sucker for cel-shading. So for my game (shameless plug in-coming), I am recreating historical figures, and thus have some visual reference as to what these women would have looked like. If I tried to fully recreate them in Daz, I think it would come across as insincere; the fact that you get to bang the waifu version of Cleopatra or Jackie Kennedy is both hilarious and fucking awesome. Just my take on the issue, since Koikatsu is often glanced over.

Just a quick scenario suggestion, since I already know what I would work on next once TBWDTT is complete. But when coming up with a scenario, I wrote down a hundred different set-ups, and this is going to sound like a stretch but, a sexy morgue management game. Think about it; you could meet and bed rich widows and their families, you could talk to and bang your own sexy morticians, and depending on the circumstances of the deceased (like if they were part of mob families or something), you could be hooking up with hot police officers/detectives. Hot serial killer chicks could also be up on the table, and depending on how much you want to include any supernatural elements, you could hook up with ghosts or whatever. Personally, idk if I have the guts to fully commit to this scenario, and I'm not trying to force it on you, I just think it could really work and hopefully some developer could really commit to it one day.

I hope you're having a good day today! :)

Professional Degenerate

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2020
Lol, despite me not being a huge anime fan (I'm more of a manga fan, if that makes any sense), I actually prefer Koikatsu's graphics. Here's why. First of all, Daz, while powerful, is still too much in the uncanny valley for me. Actually, when I first saw Daz, I think I described it as 'really high end, bad PS1 cg,' to friends. HS is a bit too much in the middle ground, where it's a bit too realistic, but also not quite cartoony enough. KK is super anime looking, yes, but that's why I think it looks the best-it's art style really pops. It also helps that, ever since I played Windwaker, I have been a sucker for cel-shading. So for my game (shameless plug in-coming), I am recreating historical figures, and thus have some visual reference as to what these women would have looked like. If I tried to fully recreate them in Daz, I think it would come across as insincere; the fact that you get to bang the waifu version of Cleopatra or Jackie Kennedy is both hilarious and fucking awesome. Just my take on the issue, since Koikatsu is often glanced over.

Just a quick scenario suggestion, since I already know what I would work on next once TBWDTT is complete. But when coming up with a scenario, I wrote down a hundred different set-ups, and this is going to sound like a stretch but, a sexy morgue management game. Think about it; you could meet and bed rich widows and their families, you could talk to and bang your own sexy morticians, and depending on the circumstances of the deceased (like if they were part of mob families or something), you could be hooking up with hot police officers/detectives. Hot serial killer chicks could also be up on the table, and depending on how much you want to include any supernatural elements, you could hook up with ghosts or whatever. Personally, idk if I have the guts to fully commit to this scenario, and I'm not trying to force it on you, I just think it could really work and hopefully some developer could really commit to it one day.

I hope you're having a good day today! :)
Lol, that's quite the game concept. defiantly original. Koikatsu is actually currently my top pick for renders as its super stylized, something which I think would work well with my plot ideas since they are all very fantasy based rather than realistic.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
a completed tag.

I always like game elements, but RPGM should be left to 1980s where it belongs. not a big fan of combat either, but I suppose in a sort of rpg stats grinding way it can make some sense. things to figure out like in puzzle adventures is better. get the key, find the map, figure out the hints to get to the next thing. the main reason I like game elements in general is them providing friction against getting the girls. that is their function for a story-based game, any ideas for the mechanics working as themselves tends to just distract from the story. the minigames will never be an attraction in themselves, and even if they were it would be like playing ping pong while watching a movie.

also if it is something like fighting to unlock a sex scene, it's always too close to the sex scene to not kill any story tension you might've succeeded to build. it shouldn't feel like the sex was inevitable after winning the fight, but more like you made favourable outcome possible. as in that fighting the bouncer at a club might get you inside, but it still have to figure out all the correct choices inside to score the pussy. and NOT as in the usual case you have a level boss guarding the room of the girl, and getting past him grants you the sex scene. the same of course applies to all other gamified obstacles. there should be at least an illusion that you can still fuck it up with wrong choices.

of course there's a lot of people who will absolutely hate any kind of obstructive game mechanics and good storytelling principles, and will loudly demand an easymode to give all the good endings with no work. then again giving them that will turn your game into a pointlessly long slideshow, so you'll have to pick your side and go from there.

which applies to pretty much all other dev choices as well. do what you think makes the best game/story and trust your own taste. it's the only way you're gonna survive the grind of making the game. listening to people angrily telling you to make bad choices (and it will 100% happen) is only gonna make the game worse. (this includes my advice if it feels wrong to what you're aiming for.)

the choice or quality of graphical style is not too important, people mostly gravitate towards their kinks anyway. but there will be people who will ignore your game based on which format or platform you choose. each of them have their haters for better or worse so there again you must choose your poison. and please do always choose, trying to please everyone has never worked.

Last edited: