What would you prefer; a game with little content but with add-ons, or more content and the add-ons coming later?

What would you prefer?

• Game with everything, but less content initially

• Game with more content initially, but no add-ons

Results are only viewable after voting.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
When I released my first version, it had the framework in it for the things I wanted but most of them not implemented, some still are not. I got the time/day cycle working and a gallery, the gallery is not now as its a pain the way I'm doing it. Technically it has an inventory system but it's pointless me using it I have discovered. In the first demo/release it's not that important to get everything implemented because you can say it was demo, by the second release you want everything up and running so saves and etc work. As RanliLabz said take your time, it me 6 months or more too before I released my first version.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
I don't understand, what kind of add-ons?

Personally I prefer content over most other stuff. :)

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I'm more interested in dev's having smaller scope, get enough done to have a basic game, maybe improve on it later, but don't plan out so much that they get burned out and leave parts of the game or story unfinished. I'm fine with a version 1 that's more than a tech demo, has a story and ending, and doesn't have a ton of content.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
I'm more interested in dev's having smaller scope, get enough done to have a basic game, maybe improve on it later, but don't plan out so much that they get burned out and leave parts of the game or story unfinished. I'm fine with a version 1 that's more than a tech demo, has a story and ending, and doesn't have a ton of content.
My plan is to release a fully working game, with everything already included in the initial release; this would also include the first week of gameplay. I also plan on having the first three weeks of content ready to go before I release the first version, this way I won't get behind releasing future versions, as I'll already have a version or two in the wings.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
My plan is to release a fully working game, with everything already included in the initial release; this would also include the first week of gameplay. I also plan on having the first three weeks of content ready to go before I release the first version, this way I won't get behind releasing future versions, as I'll already have a version or two in the wings.
sounds like a lot of work you'll have to do hidden in the dark for a bit.
something a bit annoying is when you want to talk about your project but can't risk spilling any secrets ya want to keep such a story or new content.

Reactions: hseigin

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

Donor
Jun 21, 2017
sounds like a lot of work you'll have to do hidden in the dark for a bit.
something a bit annoying is when you want to talk about your project but can't risk spilling any secrets ya want to keep such a story or new content.
I don't want to give away what the game is about until I'm ready to release, but I do hope that it's popular. The idea is based on the most popular kinks and fetishes I have come across here.

What the game will definitely have.
Corruption
Training
Sex of most kinds
Not sure about incest yet, if it's going to be there, it'll be brother/sister. I have written two versions, one with, one without.
Virgins

What I do have.
I have the outline, I have the first three weeks scripts, I have ideas and storyboards for the artwork, some of the code.

What I don't have.
The artwork, some of the code.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
From my experience, art tends to make a break a project. Not good or bad art, just getting art is the issues, atleast enough of it consistently. It's why I try to do my own art. Do plan to make the art yourself, such as with daz or other tools or skills?

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

Donor
Jun 21, 2017
From my experience, art tends to make a break a project. Not good or bad art, just getting art is the issues, atleast enough of it consistently. It's why I try to do my own art. Do plan to make the art yourself, such as with daz or other tools or skills?
I am still undecided; I have Daz and a load of assets; I don't currently have the system to use them properly though. My other option is Honey Select or similar.
I think I prefer Daz. Although I disagree that art is what makes a game, art is important, but I think the story is where it's at.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I don't mean to say that art is what is important, I meant to mean that some projects fail because they don't understand their art requirements and can not get enough art, (if it takes a day to produce an image, and you need lots of them, that's going to take a while), or have issues with finding an artist who is reliable (especially if they are not getting paid). It depends on how you design your game as well, since various tricks can be used which determine what kind of assets you need, such as 3D models vs the Pre rendered 2D cgi artwork, or the type of game, VN or a playable world with sprites. I myself try to go point and click as I think it offers the simplest means of programming and handling images is fairly straight forward. I assume most others think likewise since renpy tends to be a favorite (but i prefer monogame engine).