Whats important in a game to you render vise?

rewrewrwe

May 31, 2017
Hi guys since there is no thread about this (as far as I have searched) I wanted to ask you what do you find most important in a game render vise. Im planning on making a game and since my laptop is one big potato i wanted to see what does the general public think.

My specs are:
-i3 6006 quad-core
-gt920mx
-8bg ram

So as you can imagine the rendering is taking ages... Do you prefer quantity or quality? Regular monthly updates with 720p renders of a lover quality or a1080p renders that look godly but take a looooooot of time to render. Or do you even mind me using Honey Select for renders? I could also process them after in PS, but that will pile dev time even more.
So my main questions are:

1) Is the 720p resolution a deal breaker for a lot of people?
2) is Honey Select a deal breaker for a lot of people?
3) Do you prefer more dev time and longer waiting time for updates or smaller and more frequent updates? (like version 0.00001, or the whole episode)
4)Is post process a must to you?

Also any dev tips are really appreciated! :D

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Your best bet is honey select, get some coding and story telling practice. Making renders of any type that are not up to quality is just waste of your time, you will never be happy with them.

hseigin

The Indomitable
Game Developer
May 18, 2019
Specs: Your system lacks processing power and RAM, 480p and small size ( like rpgm japanese art) would be much better option, otherwise you might not be able to meet average production quotas. You can't use high quality textures or many lower quality ones with 8 GB RAM, not to mention it is also used by yor system.

1-) Game Art is all about working with what you have and employing tactics to trick other people while cutting your workload; like modeling a complex shaped tree, then making duplicates for the rest of the scene and also rotating those duplicates to make them look different. Or heavily weight painting the area closer to the camera while using particle effects like grass. There are RPGM games using 480p art and having quite nice effect.

2-) Using same assets isn't a good idea, it is a bad marketing tactic. You need to stand out, atleast use morphs and alter some of the textures to achieve better results. People are fed up with stock DAZ and HS models, and yes it is true that people prefer DAZ models over HS. This is true for unaltered models/textures.

3-) Average sized and frequent updates are better. Monthly. Longer and quality updates don't do well unless you are someone with established name like ICSTOR/DC. Deluca Family has only 330 subscribers in 4 updates/7 months, and that game has above average renders, good writing and above average gameplay. That game would've achieved more than 1000 subs in the same period of time, if dev worked full time on it.

4-) No, just create a few flexible, efficient and realistic lighting setups.

My advice is; try to work extra and save money for a desktop, this will greatly increase your production output. While it is true that a custom built desktop pc will always outperform a laptop in the same price range; laptops can easily do the same job, just the processing power/money ratio isn't great.

Last edited:

danteworks

Developer of Depravity
Game Developer
Dec 3, 2018
720p is good. Honey Select is good if you know what you're doing. I always post process