What's the outcome of a game request look like, and what affects it?

LightningMaestro

Nov 2, 2019
So... hi. Been lurking a while, this is my first post (just not very social). Been browsing DLSite recently, and seen a couple games I really like the sound of that aren't anywhere I can find them in the Games forum. I am debating buying a couple of them to upload and see if someone more tech-savvy can work them into a more English format (I've seen a couple of ReiTrans shortcuts packaged with games, and I see stuff about MTL, but I sincerely doubt it's as simple as just plugging the game into the app and hoping it works).

As I'm below the three-post limit to be able to post links, I wouldn't really be able to do anything with this anyways without posting more, so I figured I might as well ask and try to get some information.

1) Obviously purchasing and providing the game would be of at least some help, but would that still be a Game Request, or would that become a Crack / Uncensor / Translation Request or something? Without purchasing and providing it, what're the odds it gets any attention? (At least a couple of the ones I'm looking at are ~3 years old, so I doubt they're unavailable due to them being simply too new for anyone to have done anything with just yet.) If I did purchase and furnish them, would that still go under Game Requests, or somewhere else?

2) What kind of games are good candidates for translation, and how can you know ahead of time? I'm fairly certain there's no AI set up to find and translate images for games - though I know image translators are a thing that's available, I think those're more set up for tourism. I know MTLs aren't great, and editing can only do so much to make them coherent, but at least that'd let me, for instance, understand what the buttons on the menu would do. One particular game (which I actually already found an untranslated download for) seems to be entirely text-based - which, on the one hand, means MTL prose that probably makes bad teenage fanfics look like erotic masterworks, but on the other, I am genuinely curious anyways and it seems like it'd just be a matter of hooking in an MTL program correctly.

3) Is there any way to predict the uncensor-ability of a game? I know that, unless it's a shader, doing so involves a large amount of work - and is rarely, if ever, done. I know a few ways to identify shaders in motion - the 'flickering' of the pixels tends to be a dead giveaway, as does oddly-shaped edges, like in Miconisomi's games, or rarely, floating bars/graphics. Is there a good way to identify them before buying and looking at the game itself, however? I definitely understand if the answer is no, but I figure maybe some wizard knows and it's worth asking rather than just sulking and believing that, if I don't know how to do it, clearly no one else does.

rainingdayss

Aug 21, 2022
While I'm not a professional translator, I do know a fair bit of japanese and know how to traverse an rpgmaker mv game and translate it manually/mtl. I'll try to address your points as having spoken to many people who have translated games and from my perspective but my points are ONLY for RPGMAKER MV games, though some things can possibly be applied to other engines.

1. I personally have never seen games that are really old and provided with only a dlsite link get any traction from someone who is capable of translating it. There may have been some games that got picked up of course, but from the pov of a translator, the game would need to be very popular or specific enough to a translator reading by that they immediately love the game from a get go and would want to even translate it, or you happen to get lucky and someone sees it and is in a good mood. Just so you are aware, translating a game even when done by someone fluent in japanese takes a very long time.
For a game to actually GET translated by request, you'd need it to be a game popular enough/specific enough to someone who also likes the game a lot and knows how to translate with the engine/is able to even somehow translate Japanese in a way. It's time consuming because you'd need to go through the scene/fight line by line and double check the accuracy and if the text makes sense. MTL doing this will be fast but the text becomes unfun to read and you spend more time trying to decipher what is actually being said, and manually going through line by line fixes this but you'd need to somehow be able to read the Japanese. While I don't exactly know what category you'd put in a request, I would definitely title/make it aware that your post is an interest check on the specific dlsite game and link it and mention if any translators find it interesting, you'd be willing to buy and share it with them. Don't expect it to get actually translated and publicly posted though.

2. Just from my pov, but games that are popular for translations tend to be femdom games from big jp circles, especially a lot of succubus/monster girl works.

3. Have never experienced this so I assume it's not an rpgmaker game.

Hopefully I gave you a bit of insight into how a translated game works, specifically rpgmaker mv games. Years and years ago, I had so many scenes/fights in games I wanted to experience but they were always in japanese so I decided to just learn how to navigate the engine to find the specific cutscenes/fights myself and edit them to my liking. Even today editing/translating a regular fight/scene can be very very lengthy depending on schedule.

Reactions: LightningMaestro

LightningMaestro

Nov 2, 2019
Aaah, thank you for the replies. So if it's Japanese only and hasn't already been picked up, expect it to take a long time (and even then, only if it catches someone's eye), and goes under Translation Requests, while Game Requests is specifically for retrieving already-translated games.

So, if I'm understanding that correctly, if I already had an official English copy and was simply hoping to catch the eye of anybody for anything not specifically translation or retrieval (AFAIK everything on DLSite is censored by JP law; sometimes even with official translations DLSite warns they need AppLocale which I don't think I've ever had to do for anything I downloaded from on here; I dunno maybe there's some kind of DRM I'm not aware of; etc), I would post it in the Games forum and hope?

I.E.:

Game
|-Looking for but do not have, Game Requests
|-Have but cannot read, Translation Requests
|-If you have it and can read it, post it in Games, hope someone likes it
?

Reactions: TheBlueKnight

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
...I dunno maybe there's some kind of DRM I'm not aware of; etc), I would post it in the Games forum and hope?
If the game is from DLSite and has DRM it should have the , and you'd have to have entered the key to play. That would be a cracking not game request.

The locale thing is kind of weird, I often don't need to do anything about it either. But it's the game code not DRM and a lot of games here do need Japanese locale, and some say in their installation instructions.

Reactions: LightningMaestro