What's up with game developers taking over threads? And then those threads not having the latest versions? Isn't this site MAIN purpose for...

RossoX

Jun 3, 2021
...piracy and sharing of games?

Genuinely asking, because maybe I'm missing something but why are game developers able to get ownership of their game's threads here?

You see, in principle I would have no problem with that, it's actually fun when the developers themselves interact with the threads, but the thing is that it sometimes leads to the OP not having the latest version released, because they usually have that bullcrap of "public version only a week/month from now!" so we're left with outdated version links, with the recent version only on patreon. I won't link those threads here so as to not start drama as I want to keep things civil, but if you know you know and there are a lot of high profile games that fit.

Hell I've seen such game threads where the OP links are of 2 or 3 versions old! With the devs themselves saying shit like "oh the OP version is very outdated, you should check out the recent release" and stuff...

Isn't this site main purpose for piracy? The majority of game threads are owned by the Uploaders who quickly update the OP when they get a link for the new release, and I myself have shared games here on f95 and elsewhere, meaning that I'm supporting the developers that I like while also sharing the most recent links to people who are unable to support. But a few devs are able to hold control of the threads here... why?

Isn't it well know that those developers get a lot of positive attention by being hosted here on f95? Shouldn't that be enough trade-off for having their games pirated here? Because to me, it seems like those select few devs are getting all of the benefits from us, while completely disregarding the site's ideal to share games asap with everyone, and the site's administration/staff seems to be fine with it because they give permission for the thread ownership to change and allow the devs to prohibit the lastest versions being shared there.

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
First of all, they don't actually have any control over the uploads. The mods or the uploaders do. If there is an update, say for A house in the Rift, and someone leaks it before the latest version goes public, the thread will get updated. Even if the dev deletes the new links, they are reinstated at some point.

The only control (that I can see) that a dev has when they get ownership of a thread is the cosmetic stuff (banners, layout of the op etc).

Lastly, having the devs active here generally helps the players (and the devs to some extent). Having all their stuff leaked early (especially if the game gets public releases) deters the devs from being here. So there is an understanding of sorts between some devs and the community that the game's thread will get updated when it goes public.

Edit: I've worded the last part really poorly btw, it might not come across as intended.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
F95zone has become a community for Western Adult Games and they are using Patreon monetization that is compatible with that.
It's kinda like Youtube, the videos you get for free.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
If there's a game with outdated mirrors, it's all uploaders fault. Devs can't delete those links, thread's ownership only allows them to edit the OP the way they think it works best for them -except for the links subsection. If a Dev tries to delete links, the thread's ownership is revoked. Nice rant, though, hope you feel better now

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
As a dev, can confirm; when I got that tag, staff were VERY clear that attempting to throttle uploads would lead to me losing control of the thread entirely. I can edit the rest of the OP as desired for changelogs etc, and upload the latest version myself, but if mods upload a later version I'm not supposed to change that.

My game is free with no alt versions so it wasn't a big deal to me, but the same rules apply to everyone. That's why you see a number of threads with that disclaimer of 'we don't support uploading the latest version, yada yada we're here anyways.'

So, if a game thread doesn't have the latest paywall version, that just means that no one has submitted it. That may be because it's not popular enough, because the dev managed to convince their patreons not to upload it, whatever. NOT because they have absolute power over that thread.

I'm not gonna comment on the morality of any of that, cuz well, this is a pirate site. I'm just here 'cuz I wanna tell a story and maybe eventually break even on the game, so it works well for me, but devs gotta live too and I can understand how devs that actually plan on making a living from this would want to, you know, make a living from it. You can't really pay rent with exposure.

If you wanna see the latest version, convince a patreon to do it or spend a few bucks to do it yourself. Devs can't stop you. You're not entitled to jack shit, though.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Devs need to be able to edit the OP to make the game seem appealing.
Some games have such shitty advertising with poor description, banner and sample pics gamers will skip them.

Reactions: DuniX

skyteam

Jun 25, 2018
Entitled, aren't you? If the game has a paywall, it meas the dev is trying to make a living out of the game, and piracying the game means you're not helping him, just exposure is not going to put food on his table. Sure, putting the game here might get him new patreons, but at least respect the free release date, after all, that's when he intended for that to happen. I know devs who got fed up with people leaking the latest release of their games, that they just don't have a public release anymore, because they KNOW that someone WILL leak it here. So either you pay for it, or wait for the leaked version here, that might take some time.

Hell, even devs that have a public release only 3 days after the patreon release have their game leaked here, people are so impatient that they can't wait 3 fucking days.

When guys like you show up, with "this site is for piracy, so we can get the games for free at the same time of the patreon release", makes me disgusted.

I ain't gonna lie, i download games here, yes. I know most of them are leaked stuff, yes. But i don't whine that all the games should be the same version as the patreon version.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Hell, even devs that have a public release only 3 days after the patreon release have their game leaked here, people are so impatient that they can't wait 3 fucking days.
The thing about piracy and updates is that if you have that problem, you are already lucky.
The worst problem to have is for your game to not be leaked for months, because Nobody Fucking Cares about your game.

skyteam

Jun 25, 2018
The thing about piracy and updates is that if you have that problem, you are already lucky.
The worst problem to have is for your game to not be leaked for months, because Nobody Fucking Cares about your game.
Games being leaked are a double-edged sword, because it means that your game is well-know and loved, but also it means that less people is willing to pledge to get the game, instead they download the leaked pirated version here, so it means less income for the dev.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Games being leaked are a double-edged sword, because it means that your game is well-know and loved, but also it means that less people is willing to pledge to get the game, instead they download the leaked pirated version here, so it means less income for the dev.
That's obviously a problem, but a problem based on how people tend to understand the pledging system. There are many people who only see it from that 'pledge to get the game' perspective, which I find extremely wrong. For me, pledging is just supporting the dev to allow them to continue creating the game I like, with the amount of money I can or feel the game and dev's efforts are worth of. Heck, I don't usually download games from the official links in the patreon pages of devs I support, I just come here instead and use the pirate ones. It's just more convenient as I spend way more time in here, while I only log in Patreon once or twice a month. Also, this way I can choose the tier I feel more comfortable with and still get the game right after the highest tier, as I feel the release delay between different tiers is a wrong choice from devs (although maybe a forced one because of that insane amount of people who do believe that paying more should give them a higher priority in getting the game, due to that 'pledge to get the game' perspective). So in my opinion, and due to my personal approach to pledging, getting a game leaked here can only be positive for devs - sadly it's undeniable it actually hurts them a little

RossoX

Jun 3, 2021
First of all, I thank fitgirlbestgirl and Niv-Mizzet the Firemind for explaining how it really is. While I did get the impression that some game devs had control on the uploads, but your explanations helped me see that I was wrong, and the site works differently (in a way that I think is best) so thanks for going straight to the true answer and correcting me.

To a few others who somehow interpreted my post as being "entitled" or "ranting"... well, I could dare to ask what sort of brain work (or maybe lack thereof?:unsure:) has lead you to reach such conclusion, but I've given it some thought and I'd rather not ask, and keep my sanity and hope for humanity intact as well. Then again, I could just quickly quote myself:

"...meaning that I'm supporting the developers that I like while also sharing the most recent links to people who are unable to support..."

For me, pledging is just supporting the dev to allow them to continue creating the game I like
That is my point of view as well. I currently support 4 different creators but haven't even played any of their recent releases that much, because I'm supporting them unconditionally (and want to play when there's more content). This however doesn't stop me from sharing the games... simply because not everyone is able to support the devs; it's what I believe in and that's that.

This is it exactly. I've lost count of how many games I saw being posted here, and then looking at their patreon and the count of supporters increasing. I dunno if it applies to all the devs or games, sure a few might be hurt by it maybe? But it seems to be pretty clear that having the site's exposure of your pirated games is actually a net-positive for most devs without a doubt, hence my original grievance (now unfounded) that I thought that devs where getting all the benefits and still holding back the sharing of links, which is untrue.

Finally to the minority: this is a piracy site, there's no sugarcoating it. Do you disagree? Then what the hell are you even doing having a user here, hypocrite? Don't like people sharing versions of the game too early? Do you want to blindly defend devs for no reason with fallacious arguments? Fine, but then spare yourself the embarrassment of pretending like you have some sort of moral high-ground, because it's you who are the outcast here not the majority of us.

Fitzgerald

Oct 23, 2017
I provide $$ for seven games, and I'm literally the first Patron for Breeding Farm. Every single one of them I've learned about on F95zone - without piracy, that's seven different devs who would be getting less money.

Reactions: RossoX

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Another thing about Piracy is that only the illusion of exclusivity is what's important not the reality.
It just needs to not be completely "Free", people who don't want to miss out on the updates will buy and subscribe to you, they will not do that at the exact release day just to get rid of the paywall, even if they did they would be no better then pirates as what you are looking for is long term support.

Furthermore Hardcore Pirates will never pay, just like there is Whales in the gaming world, there is also the opposite of them.

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
even if the game can be pirated if enough people like it they will still pay patreon to them regardless, they wanna support the dev so the game actually gets finished