What's up with the toxicity lately?

blablubiblub

Nov 1, 2017
As the title says...

Lately, I've been coming across a lot of very arrogant posts where someone asking for help gets called an "idiot", someone who can't afford monthly patreon payment "parasite leecher" and people who voice their opinion criticizing something get told to just stop playing altogether. How about people take a chill pill, think about what they post and why they are here.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
As the title says...

Lately, I've been coming across a lot of very arrogant posts where someone asking for help gets called an "idiot", someone who can't afford monthly patreon payment "parasite leecher" and people who voice their opinion criticizing something get told to just stop playing altogether. How about people take a chill pill, think about what they post and why they are here.
Check the game's "tags" before you play. If there are tags for things you don't like, or things that might upset you, or hurt your feelings, don't you think it would be best to avoid the game?
If you post a complaint about the game, saying "I don't like ______" and the game has a tag telling you that the game has ________ then you are an idiot for ignoring the warning.

The reason the tags are there is for your own protection, to avoid that butthurt you're feeling. Some people think the tags are to help you find something. You can use them that way, but don't get overly excited finding a game with a tag you like, and ignore all the other tags that might be something that hurts your precious little hiney. If you read the tags, and you know the game is going to hurt you, but you played it anyway, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.
7a7b57b15a99aae115bd9472917efb0c51ccb24c6d462a56e076d2c853a37586.jpg

Jan 24, 2019
Check the game's "tags" before you play. If there are tags for things you don't like, or things that might upset you, or hurt your feelings, don't you think it would be best to avoid the game?
If you post a complaint about the game, saying "I don't like ______" and the game has a tag telling you that the game has ________ then you are an idiot for ignoring the warning.

The reason the tags are there is for your own protection, to avoid that butthurt you're feeling. Some people think the tags are to help you find something. You can use them that way, but don't get overly excited finding a game with a tag you like, and ignore all the other tags that might be something that hurts your precious little hiney. If you read the tags, and you know the game is going to hurt you, but you played it anyway, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.
View attachment 268455
When people criticize a product it's usually because they think it's bad.

As the title says...

That's pretty much the standard on the internet nowadays. Everything is a battle of being the loudest and flinging the smelliest poop.

Reactions: blablubiblub

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
The toxicity is nothing new. I honestly wouldn't mind it if it didn't mean threads got derailed from the original topic. As for people saying they don't like a game for whatever content is has in it people just find it annoying when people complain about something yet the tags clearly states it has something they don't like. It's like watching a person step in shit intentionally and blaming the shit for being on their foot. If they don't read at all well they are beyond help tbh.

Reactions: hseigin

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
if it didn't mean threads got derailed from the original topic.
The format of this forum is not standard. Typically in a forum thread, the tree structure prevents derailing. (see attached)
conversations within the thread, branch off without derailing the topic. A user can collapse the branches (2,3,4), and only read the main topic (1). If @Sam wanted to make "replies" and/or "quotes" within the thread collapsed by default, there would be no derailing at all. As it stands, simply answering someone's question within a thread can be misconstrued as off topic trolling, etc. reply thread / reply to user post collapsed

tree-structure-categories-level-4-swift-to-do-list.png 280px-TreeExample480px.jpg

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
The format of this forum is not standard. Typically in a forum thread, the tree structure prevents derailing.
The structure isn't the issue I find. In game threads and areas that are moderated things are typically decent I find. It's when people butt heads constantly and no one puts them in line you have pages of people arguing about how their opinion is right which would be fine if it didn't completely derail into something completely unrelated and uncivil. In unmoderated sections like off topic though it quickly goes off the rails. The name is definitely fitting for the subforum but I honestly believe that area should just be renamed to shit post zone because you can't have a productive conversation of any kind there usually. I would say its the most toxic part of this forum even. You can have more structure in the forum but if no one follows the rules like Rule 1 and 2 of the General Rules or Thread Rule 1 and no one enforces those rules then the structure is ultimately useless.
If @Sam wanted to make "replies" and/or "quotes" within the thread collapsed by default, there would be no derailing at all. As it stands, simply answering someone's question within a thread can be misconstrued as off topic trolling, etc. reply thread / reply to user post collapsed
This isn't solving the toxicity. It's merely tucking it away in hopes no one adds to it. I believe rather than hiding behind a structure hoping it will solve all the forums problems that mods make it clear that such behaviour won't be tolerated in areas it's not permitted. As for questions that have nothing to do with the original topic we have a section of the forums completely dedicated to that. People who ask questions in the wrong area and don't know will learn where to ask if they accidentally ask something completely off topic in a certain thread.
https://f95zone.to/forums/general-troubleshooting.16/

Dad of Boy

Jan 20, 2018
I think a lot of you guys are missing what OP is saying. He's saying that people asking for help, as in they're stuck in a game or need help with a glitch or something. A lot of the time, especially in the more popular games people cannot afford to sift through thousands of posts to get to their answer.

People complaining about games in the thread of the game is stupid (unless its that rape day game or whatever), and nobody is denying that.

bas

retired
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
As the title says...

It's been here the whole time. The more the forum grows, the more you see this kind of behavior.

The best thing that you can do is to report people breaking the rules and then don't respond.

u z i

lurker
Uploader
Donor
Nov 9, 2018
"Ignore" and move on. I think you've got to have a thick skin while handling people, especially on the internet. There is nothing much you can do about that. If someone is being abusive for no good reason, then report him/her.

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I think a lot of you guys are missing what OP is saying. He's saying that people asking for help, as in they're stuck in a game or need help with a glitch or something. A lot of the time, especially in the more popular games people cannot afford to sift through thousands of posts to get to their answer.

People complaining about games in the thread of the game is stupid (unless its that rape day game or whatever), and nobody is denying that.
We definitely are missing that aspect. Asking questions is alright but if a question is asked say 1000 times then it should be put in the game post page so people can look for the answers of frequently asked questions so we don't have people trying to get an answer for something that has already been answered 1000 times. Being asked the same question over and over again is extremely annoying. From my experience though if you aren't willing to do sifting in some cases you'll never get your answer if what you are trying to figure out isn't remotely popular.

u z i

lurker
Uploader
Donor
Nov 9, 2018
We definitely are missing that aspect. Asking questions is alright but if a question is asked say 1000 times then it should be put in the game post page so people can look for the answers of frequently asked questions so we don't have people trying to get an answer for something that has already been answered 1000 times. Being asked the same question over and over again is extremely annoying. From my experience though if you aren't willing to do sifting in some cases you'll never get your answer if what you are trying to figure out isn't remotely popular.
i see that a lot. the main for this is new members don't know how to use the search function. can't help it really. i think every OP should have instructions on how to "search" :p

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
i see that a lot. the main for this is new members don't know how to use the search function. can't help it really. i think every OP should have instructions on how to "search" :p
Honestly thats not even the issue sometimes. People don't read and ask questions I've explained very specifically in the game post in bold red text. It's fine if people want to ask questions but all I ask is people at least read the game post. I take some where between 10 to 20 minutes making sure everything is correct and information is filled which is entirely useless if people don't read it.

Reactions: Hones and u z i

Dad of Boy

Jan 20, 2018
I agree, but there's no need to be toxic as a result of that. It's on the OP, not the person asking the question.
New or not, the first thing people respond with shouldn't be toxicity. People need to be their best selves and hold themselves to a higher standard. You wouldn't speak like that to a regular stranger, so don't speak like that to someone you've never met, yanno?

Reactions: forbidden101v

u z i

lurker
Uploader
Donor
Nov 9, 2018
Honestly thats not even the issue sometimes. People don't read and ask questions I've explained very specifically in the game post in bold red text. It's fine if people want to ask questions but all I ask is people at least read the game post. I take some where between 10 to 20 minutes making sure everything is correct and information is filled which is entirely useless if people don't read it.
if only every person had a brain and common sense, this world would be a better place XD

u z i

lurker
Uploader
Donor
Nov 9, 2018
New or not, the first thing people respond with shouldn't be toxicity. People need to be their best selves and hold themselves to a higher standard. You wouldn't speak like that to a regular stranger, so don't speak like that to someone you've never met, yanno?
absolutely. the few threads where i am active, i always try to help out, even if asked the same question and also educate them of the search function. when i get frustrated i just ignore the messages. but not everyone is like you or me i guess.

Reactions: forbidden101v

Dad of Boy

Jan 20, 2018
absolutely. the few threads where i am active, i always try to help out, even if asked the same question and also educate them of the search function. when i get frustrated i just ignore the messages. but not everyone is like you or me i guess.
Yeah, its a little upsetting to me. I've lurked for months but only recently started posting but thats been enough to see how some people just get relentlessly railed on. It's a shame, a lot of these folks would probably post more actively and constructively if given a shot.

Reactions: doku99

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
As the title says...

Toxicity is something that has been existing for longer than the internet: It is part of us and everyone should be toxic if they wish to.

The only true difference that I have noticed over the time is people somehow getting more and more sensible as time went by, at the point that I started to doubt their veracity; I am fairly sure most people are not truly hurt by it but are used to fake it to generate drama.

If someone was toxic in real life, the other person would laugh because they are being ridiculous and childish hence why it is so common over the anonymity of the internet, why should you laugh it off in real life but get hurt over the internet? It makes no sense, just ignore the toxic part and actually follow their guidance if other than the "idiot" they have written ways to solve whatever problem you had.
There is also to say that you cannot tell the tonality of a word over text, what you may call toxic words might be just jokes said innocently, especially "idiot".

As for the rest, it is obvious that it was stuff told by people that are not game developers and therefore it is pretty safe to ignore that.
As someone that likes to make games as a hobby, I love opinions more than silence, especially if it something that I have the capabilities to improve or fix and would rather that person to voice their opinions rather than stop playing.
Likewise I do not mind people playing without being my patron, I doubt anyone does really as I have never seen a game that does not have a public version, it would be counterproductive af imho.