What's your motivation for creating adult games?

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for all your replies guys. It's nice but it also sucks to have it confirmed that passion/joy is, indeed, the secret to progress in game development.

When I first got a taste of game development, I felt that spark. But I was a kid back then. Now, I can only remember it. It seems adult life has sucked out the enjoyment out of many things.

So I'll try to go back to that time, try to approach game development with child-like curiosity and focus on the things I enjoy rather than try to make the perfect game.
Perfection is a killer of progress. A skill you need to learn as a dev is 'good enough'. There is always something that could be improved. (Not saying that I am very good at it myself). Spending 20 hours on a render is possible but it means you'll make 2 renders a week if that. if you need 1000 to make the game that means you need nearly 10 years to complete the game.

Reactions: osanaiko

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Perfection is a killer of progress. A skill you need to learn as a dev is 'good enough'. There is always something that could be improved. (Not saying that I am very good at it myself). Spending 20 hours on a render is possible but it means you'll make 2 renders a week if that. if you need 1000 to make the game that means you need nearly 10 years to complete the game.
This seems to be the current state for some successful games. lol

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I think 'getting good' is important because its hard to have fun, hard to be passionate, if its still a struggle to do.

the easy solution is become a sociopath and hyper focus on what you want, easy :D

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
I think 'getting good' is important because its hard to have fun, hard to be passionate, if its still a struggle to do.
I'd add to that and say once you reach a sufficient level of good-ness, it becomes even more fun because you can just do whatever you can think up, which is really gratifying.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

RisqueNeko

Jun 1, 2023
For me its an outlet for things outside work and a pipe dream. I like turning concepts into actual interactive things and the concept of graphics itself. I am nowhere near professional level but what keeps me exploring also is that I like a good vanilla and I hope one day I could create something that someone could enjoy even if it is just a short/basic gameplay and nice vanilla fucking.

As I explore the world of game development, I would agree with the other guy here that it did kind-of ruined playing games for me too - in a good way I guess(?). As someone who frequents the asset stores from various sites, I tend to notice familiar assets one way or another. Playing games now can also spiral into trying to figure out how certain things work, like if a see a good sword hit effect I end up subconsciously thinking: hmmm, this is probably a splash texture, with some crystal particles and a scrolling faded noise - which usually takes me out of immersion but no biggie.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
For me its an outlet for things outside work and a pipe dream. I like turning concepts into actual interactive things and the concept of graphics itself. I am nowhere near professional level but what keeps me exploring also is that I like a good vanilla and I hope one day I could create something that someone could enjoy even if it is just a short/basic gameplay and nice vanilla fucking.

As I explore the world of game development, I would agree with the other guy here that it did kind-of ruined playing games for me too - in a good way I guess(?). As someone who frequents the asset stores from various sites, I tend to notice familiar assets one way or another. Playing games now can also spiral into trying to figure out how certain things work, like if a see a good sword hit effect I end up subconsciously thinking: hmmm, this is probably a splash texture, with some crystal particles and a scrolling faded noise - which usually takes me out of immersion but no biggie.
The route to make a truly unique game is hard.

So i am trying to make a game of sorts. First thing is, find a story. What you wanna tell.
I think it is correct that you should, if you go that route, tell what it's yours and not what people want.
Do what you like, because it's yours, minus the assets.

It took me a year to be kind of good. I still get upset by the lightning because this is one of the hardest parts really.
Finding assets that didn't came in some other game is harder. There are favorites and things. Shoes, there aren't that many in reality so one of two were probably already in a game but the shoes i use, weren't really in a game i know of.
Clothing and hair is another issue.
I experimented with strained hair and i have to say, it's really shit. Because it uses so much resources, its not really workable. Of course if you disable the preview it is but still. I hate these quircks.

I think just staying with DAZ, not everyone uses that, there are secrets that one has to discover. Textures for one, but also shaders. Working with clothing is not as easy.
Recently i downloaded the CJ Stockings and i have to say, they are amazing. So many options, ripped, falling down. Just amazing.
So you find assets you may like over time. I usually don't keep a lot in my current project.

As for sex, i dunno. I reject animations so it's strictly stills. I think a scene can be great even with stills. But to each of it's own.
I like to use environments that not a lot of people have used. Though it's a learning curve as each asset is different.

One thing i liked over time is the Iray Cam. Rendering is really sped up. The most annoying thing about DAZ is the rendering time. It just takes damn long. Even considering that you can do it over night.

The coding part is also daunting. Even if it's not really complicated the problem arises probably when the games gets large.
So i opt for limited choices and nothing else. Keep it simple.
Some false choices here and there, some that actually matter etc..
Of course, if you really great in coding, you don't need to worry. Everything is possible.
There are some other engines, but i stuck with RenPy because it's the most familiar one to me. It's like home.

One thing i like to point out is, anyone should look for free assets. I know, i mentioned it a lot but DevianArt has some nice free assets. You will find some cameras, lightning setup, clothing, figures etc... all very useful.

The main objective should be that everything is believable in the fantasy of yours. Make it fun, and have some good expressions. I think when i played the game "Rebecca" something, i liked the expressions a lot. You should be able to read the characters face of what it is thinking or feeling.

And if everything else fails, you still have your very personal fab studio. :devilish:

Btw. it didn't ruin my appetite for other games but i don't play much anymore. Time. I am not even interested anymore how Fashion Business will end. It probably never ends.

• Red Heart
Reactions: zeboftw

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
The route to make a truly unique game is hard.
Uniqueness is overrated and the search for it is futile. If you want to be truly unique you will fail.
South Park said:
Simpsons did it!
your advice to "find a story you want to tell" is far more helpful. It doesn't matter if the story has been told a thousand times before. If you are excited to tell a story you'll be more likely to finish it and share the enthusiasm with those who play the game.

That being said I think that a game for the female gaze is on the more unique side of things. (As most devs are male and for the female devs a lot of them target a male audience).

Finding assets that didn't came in some other game is harder. There are favorites and things. Shoes, there aren't that many in reality so one of two were probably already in a game but the shoes i use, weren't really in a game i know of.
Clothing and hair is another issue.
I think that I have less of a problem with clothing appearing over a multitude of games. This actually resembles the real world. One cold winter morning I cycled to work and saw literally 5 women wearing the exact same black jeans with a rip in the knee during my commute. (let alone the number of women I saw that season wearing those jeans).
For shoes it's the same how many people don't wear sneakers. I know Converse was/is a popular brand and they all look more or less the same. having a dozen people wearing a version or so in a busy place is not out of the ordinary.

What is more noticeable is the lack of diversity in places. Most people just re-use the same places over and over again. That is less common. Even two Mac Donald's will always be slightly different due to a multitude of factors let alone the personal living space of characters. For this I always recommend kit bashing or throwing together several different assets to make something that is less recognizable.

Reactions: zeboftw

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Uniqueness is overrated and the search for it is futile. If you want to be truly unique you will fail.

your advice to "find a story you want to tell" is far more helpful. It doesn't matter if the story has been told a thousand times before. If you are excited to tell a story you'll be more likely to finish it and share the enthusiasm with those who play the game.

That being said I think that a game for the female gaze is on the more unique side of things. (As most devs are male and for the female devs a lot of them target a male audience).

I think that I have less of a problem with clothing appearing over a multitude of games. This actually resembles the real world. One cold winter morning I cycled to work and saw literally 5 women wearing the exact same black jeans with a rip in the knee during my commute. (let alone the number of women I saw that season wearing those jeans).
For shoes it's the same how many people don't wear sneakers. I know Converse was/is a popular brand and they all look more or less the same. having a dozen people wearing a version or so in a busy place is not out of the ordinary.

What is more noticeable is the lack of diversity in places. Most people just re-use the same places over and over again. That is less common. Even two Mac Donald's will always be slightly different due to a multitude of factors let alone the personal living space of characters. For this I always recommend kit bashing or throwing together several different assets to make something that is less recognizable.
Well, since i am not really good at creating assets myself, i really consider even poser assets.
In fact, Poser has some great environments that kind of reflect more real world.
What i mean by that is, that there are real shitty, dirty environments. DAZ seems to live of the thing only a view ever will have. So why not make a game about some rich dudes, living in a villa and the girl is just a little dump but also lives in a rich house.
This is really my biggest gripes about DAZ. The one really great apartment is the European Apartment but it's british. The wall sockets and the lay out.
Power seems to be dying since they are no really new assets. Sad.

Yes, that.
I was asking the same question or similar at least on this forum and i was told to not care what people want but what i want.
And so yes, f*** the rest, i make my own personal story. The way i like and if someone doesn't like, though luck.
I don't even think for a second that i am good at what i am doing but you can see my renders that i posted all over.
In the end, it doesn't really matter because if the story is right, even a shitty render is great.
It's like watching the Kardashians. Shitty show about some shitty people but the mass loves it.
Where i made a mistake was by adding to many things, too many locations. So i approach it with more simple ideas. Have to see how that will play out. lol

Well, when i said unique i meant something that isn't used often. Unique can be many things. For me, it's the story that wasn't really told. Well, in one way or another they probably were all told. But you can press your own stamp on it. Maybe make a unique character. I spend quite a long time to create a female character that isn't in any game. No worries, i just do sliders and relay on free head and body morphs. But the result is something more unique that you don't find in another game.
It's like painting a wall from an asset. Make it dirty or make it different.
I like to change posters for example that fit the story.

In the end, it is a time thing. How much time do you want to invest. I have limited time so i take shortcuts. Making minor changes and thats it.
Same for clothing. I personally think it has to fit the story. It's hard to find some female clothing that is, lets say, modest. I love most revealing clothing but you need also some more tight up clothing. Or for overweight people.

I am just insignificant really. I know only so much. no__name is way more advanced and i learned some ideas from him.
Still, i am only scratching the surface myself.
But i am happy.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I'm not. Keep rendering (again and again, until you find some balance or something to exploit).
Yes, i think that hacking is probably the fun part.
Finding the special loophole in the system.
Without going too deep, i enjoy reading your tutorials. There is really a lot of ideas i mostly never thought off.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Yes, i think that hacking is probably the fun part.
Finding the special loophole in the system.
Without going too deep, i enjoy reading your tutorials. There is really a lot of ideas i mostly never thought off.
>when user user 6969 finally