Where to get "free" assest for Daz3d or How to make your own Models in daz 3d?

sadman8547

Sep 16, 2017
I'm trying to do a bit of 3d modeling and maybe create a VN in the process just to test the waters so to speak.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
If you actually want to make your own models (as opposed to using existing models "as-is" or "kitbashing" together out of bits and pieces of other models) then you'd have to learn a modeling program, since Daz Studio doesn't contain authoring tools. There are a variety of modeling tools out there, some free, some hellaciously expensive. :) Among the free ones, Blender is extremely popular, and there are tons of tutorials available for it. Also, I've heard some good things (but some bad) about Hexagon, which Daz Studio offers, but which is free. Hexagon also "talks" to Daz Studio a bit better than Blender.

That being said, if you're just getting started, it's probably a lot easier to get your feet wet using existing assets (either in whole or in part) than to try creating your own from scratch.

sadman8547

Sep 16, 2017
If you actually want to make your own models (as opposed to using existing models "as-is" or "kitbashing" together out of bits and pieces of other models) then you'd have to learn a modeling program, since Daz Studio doesn't contain authoring tools. There are a variety of modeling tools out there, some free, some hellaciously expensive. :) Among the free ones, Blender is extremely popular, and there are tons of tutorials available for it. Also, I've heard some good things (but some bad) about Hexagon, which Daz Studio offers, but which is free. Hexagon also "talks" to Daz Studio a bit better than Blender.

That being said, if you're just getting started, it's probably a lot easier to get your feet wet using existing assets (either in whole or in part) than to try creating your own from scratch.

yea that was my first thought, learning how to make own is on my to do list but for now I'll have to settle with pre-made assets but they're to expensive for my blood . also do you have another suggestion aside from blender and hexagon?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
yea that was my first thought, learning how to make own is on my to do list but for now I'll have to settle with pre-made assets but they're to expensive for my blood . also do you have another suggestion aside from blender and hexagon?
Blender is the only modeling tool with which I have any experience. (Blender can do a lot more than just model, of course. And my experience with it is pretty limited, since my modeling abilities are apparently at about the kindergarten level.)

There a ton of packages out there - here's one list. That list has issues - it lists Daz Studio, when it's really only (IMHO) "rendering" software not "modeling", and it lists Hexagon as "commercial" when it's available for free, but it's a starting place, I guess.

Out of that list:
  • Many of the PA's who build models (particularly figures) for Daz Studio use Zbrush.
  • Maya and 3DS Max (both from Autodesk) are considered pretty professional-grade packages which can do just about everything from modeling to animation, etc.
  • Carrera is also offered by Daz, but isn't free. Note that Carrera and Hexagon haven't gotten a lot of updates from Daz - they clearly focus their efforts on Daz Studio.
  • I've been told that Sketchup isn't bad for doing architectural "stuff," but isn't the best for anything "organic."
Items not on the list:
  • Marvelous Designer seems pretty popular for making clothing.
  • Substance Painter seems popular for performing the texturing step - i.e. for creating the texture maps once you have your mesh set up. In particular, it's supposed to do a good job of helping you paint across seams.
Also, if you're building something that needs rigging (e.g. figures that have to bend their joints, doors that open, etc.) then from what I understand most people build the mesh using external programs, but then bring the mesh into Daz Studio and create the bones and weight painting there. (Since, if it's going to work in DS, you kind of have to rig it there so that it follows the standards that DS expects.) For things other than figures, I think you can do it externally and import things as FBX's, but the results vary somewhat.

Those are really the only ones I know anything about. (And most of that comes from chatter on the Daz forums.) So take anything I say on this topic with a VERY large grain of salt. Your Mileage May (Will!) Vary...

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Best advice is .. decide on one.

Create models and or assets or make a VN they are seperate things.

Before i started i went into Blender like its no one's business. It's a lot to learn to get to a point where you can comfortably do your own thing without lookign at a how to youtube video which can be frustrating.

So decide is my advice honestly, which field you'd like explore

Reactions: dekmma

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Best advice is .. decide on one.

Create models and or assets or make a VN they are seperate things.

Before i started i went into Blender like its no one's business. It's a lot to learn to get to a point where you can comfortably do your own thing without lookign at a how to youtube video which can be frustrating.

So decide is my advice honestly, which field you'd like explore
I absolutely agree with Mr Knobb here

Say you want to make a custom scene room for an idea you have - learning to do the modelling, and then effective UV mapping, then texturing, just in blender, is quite a big job. Then getting import to Daz to work correctly, then redoing materials, dealing with other issues etc, is a long learning process.

It is of course possible to do all this for SOME of your static/architectural/prop assets while making a VN, but you are at least adding 40-50% (or more) onto your workflow time compared to "finding" an existing asset and just working with poses/camera/lighting issues.

Spending enough time to scratch build an attractive human / organic figure AND/OR custom clothing is even more work!

I've been fiddling around with Daz and Blender, and custom game engines, and more recently Renpy for a few years, and while it was all an interesting learning path, there is still no game I would be proud enough to show anyone.

So, as the same advice always given here - keep it simple at first, have a clear goal, buy ("find") just the minimal assets you need, and save your GREATEST EVER GAME IDEA for your 3rd project.