Wherecan I learn about port into android game

DrakeOnLand

Nov 11, 2019
Is there anybody who help me learn about port in android .iblike to learn how to convert game to pc to Android .So anyone know about that please help me to learn.thank you

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Is there anybody who help me learn about port in android .iblike to learn how to convert game to pc to Android .So anyone know about that please help me to learn.thank you
Assuming that you talk about Ren'py, you can learn from .

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Something else to consider is that APK (android package files) are just ZIP files.

You could just pick a game, download both the PC version and the Android versions and play "spot the difference". There are lots of and text file comparison tools. Personally, I prefer the offline ones - since it's easier to compare entire folders and subfolders. Just remember to compare like with like - so since android tends to rename files like archive.rpa to x-archive.rpa, you might need to do some prep work.

Where the games have been compressed into .rpa archives... there is UnRen. (use the 0.9 dev version rather than 0.8 stable - since 0.8 can't unpack some of the most recent RenPy games)

I've never done an android build of a game, but I'd guess the biggest hurdle is the overall size of the game. Too big and the android device might shit itself. In which case, there are tools like Cruncher, which will massively reduce the overall size of the game by reducing the quality and format of the image files (usually you'll barely notice). After you've looked at other games and know what the differences generally are (if any), you might want to use a tool like Cruncher on the project you yourself plan to port over.

The other thing that I see mentioned over and over is the amount of memory allocated to something called gradle. It seems the bigger your project is (again images), the larger the settings for the virtual machine used to build the android app needs to be. Another assumption by me... I guess the upper limits is dependent on the specifications of the device you plan to run the game on... the smaller the number... the more devices will be compatible.

Finally, just be aware that there are various video and audio codecs (formats) that are not supported by Android. Most games will never cause a problem. I'm not sure of the specifics... but when the screen is black or a sound can't be heard or it just plain crashes... chances are, this will be the problem.

Keep in mind that a lot of "android ports" are going to be quick and dirty builds without any changes - and for a lot of games... that will be fine. But sometimes, ports will be done by someone who actually understands the differences and makes coding changes that either outright fix or at least enhance the player experience... those would be the ones I'd be trying to find in order to do comparisons. Learn from the best. And no, I can't offer a recommendation for a "good" or "bad" examples of ports.