Ren'Py Which are currently Top Best Ren'py for Beginners Guides & Tutorials Online ?

AraKnus

Sep 30, 2021
For new players & devs who want to learn create Ren'py first simple games exercise

Which are currently Top Best Ren'py for Beginners Guides & Tutorials Online ?

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: linus.quotes

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Which are currently Top Best Ren'py for Beginners Guides & Tutorials Online ?
The one that will be published tomorrow ?

Ren'Py is actually evolving too fast, all guides and tutorials are already out dated in a way or another.
The only guides that can be seen as "Top Best" are those who focus on the logic more than on the code itself. By example those who explain that to make a free roaming mechanism, you need to have a screen representing map, then use clickable parts for the reachable locations, then branch to the code for this location.
This because the logic stay the same, while the code for this changed at least three times during the five last years. Firstly it would have replaced the use of imagemap by the use of imagebutton, then replaced hovered tt.action() by tooltip, and finally replaced Jump by Call. And with the additions in the 7.5.x/8.x branches, the code would probably have been extended for better looking tooltips.

This doesn't mean that there isn't guides and/or tutorials that are goods. It's just that they have to be seen as presenting only one way to solve the problem ; a way that is perhaps now far to be the optimal one, and sometimes not even the easiest one, when it not became the more complicated one.

Grap

Feb 7, 2019
*shrug*

I found this entire series extremely helpful for me not being a coder...not just Renpy but also DAZ/Blender and now CC4 and iClone.

Reactions: AraKnus
Apr 21, 2022
- If you understand every line of this, you can make a simple VN with choices, graphics and sound. Thus, you can tell essentially any story. You literally don't need any more than this unless you want to get fancy.
- Use this as a reference and for general-purpose Python knowledge, but be aware that this is often superseded by renpy-specific tutorials. Get familiar with this mostly so you can learn how to debug your own code, read other peoples' code, and understand the tutorials. If The Question doesn't make you do something w3schools says is required, it's because the RenPy does it for you under-the-hood. (And make sure you're referencing the same version of Python that is used by your version of RenPy.)
- It's not hard to find, so I assume you've already been there, and you wanted to know which of the links you need to click on. Click on all of them.
- Since, like Anne said, all the tutorials are out of date, it makes sense to decompile a game that already implements a gameplay feature that you want to learn how to use. Just keep in mind which version of RenPy/Python they were authored under, and don't steal code or art assets directly. The downside is that you will inevitably learn how to do something "the wrong way" at some point. It will still work, but other people decompiling your code in the future will shake their heads at your bad code.
- If all else fails, flip the problem on its head by using a version of RenPy that's more compatible with your knowledge base / old tutorials.

These definitely are not the "best" RenPy tutorials out there. They are, however, the most fundamental. Until somebody writes a definitive tutorial for the latest version, you're going to need to learn how to work around the lack of a tutorial. These links, Google Search, and a computer with a screen bigger than your phone are as good a place as any to start learning.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I struggled to find tools as well, but in the lemmasoft forums, they have a ton of code snippets for things like menus, galleries, SMS Phones, etc... I used the basic tutorials @ renpy and then spent a lot of time breaking down the snippets. This is also a great way to build some templates for later use.

As an earlier poster noted, renpy changes a lot so some of the code snippets may be a bit dated. Make sure you are looking at some of the new code.

LjQujd

Jul 18, 2020
How outdated is this tutorial?
It came with the most recent version of Ren'Py (8.0.3)

1673644598520.png

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
How outdated is this tutorial?
It came with the most recent version of Ren'Py (8.0.3)
It isn't outdated. There's probably things missing, but it's mostly keep up to date by PyTom (Ren'Py author).