Daz Which denoiser do you use?

Vollezar

Gingers are love. Gingers are life.
Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020
I am thinking of disabling the built-in denoiser. But that means I need to an external one. I've found Topaz denoiser but it, in my opinion, makes the image look pretty much the same as if I was using a built-in denoiser and a sharpen filter in PS. Not much difference that I notice. There is of course the problem with 4.2+ in Daz where, when using built-in denoiser, you can't have a camera point at a plane or you get fireflies the size of pterodactyls and there is no fixing that that I can find.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Most denoisers fundamentally work in the same way, many of which are going to give similar results. But it doesn't change the fact that denoisers are never going to be a cure-all for renders. It's just not currently how they work.

I personally use DnD Denoiser for Nvidia and Intel: . I believe it was Empiric who recommended using both the noisy versions of renders and the denoised versions to get rid of the noise while keeping the detail, and honestly, it works really well. Better than a full denoised image, imo.

Reactions: Vollezar

Vollezar

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020
Most denoisers fundamentally work in the same way, many of which are going to give similar results. But it doesn't change the fact that denoisers are never going to be a cure-all for renders. It's just not currently how they work.

I personally use DnD Denoiser for Nvidia and Intel: . I believe it was Empiric who recommended using both the noisy versions of renders and the denoised versions to get rid of the noise while keeping the detail, and honestly, it works really well. Better than a full denoised image, imo.
Thank You.
The results look similar to what Daz does. Though it does it much faster. But the renaming is a problem if I have to do a couple of hundred images or more in one go. Might have to think of a way to name my renders so I don't have to do a correction after denoiser does its thing.

Reactions: MissFortune

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Though it does it much faster. But the renaming is a problem if I have to do a couple of hundred images or more in one go. Might have to think of a way to name my renders so I don't have to do a correction after denoiser does its thing.
I haven't tried it myself, so it's only a guess, but if you only denoise with one of the denoisers and leave the Output Tags blank, it might not change the file names. Could just as easily throw an error, though.

Jan 16, 2023
Unfortunately, it requires a prefix of at least 2 characters, but if you're on Windows, you can use a tool like PowerRename to remove the prefix.

Orgitas

Jan 5, 2023
I export my Daz stuff to Blender as I have an AMD card. The denoiser you can set up in Blender is out of this world good.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Since no one said it yet I'll be "that guy".

I use the built-in one and 5000 iterations for 99% of my renders.

I guess my eyes aren't good enough or trained enough to catch much of a difference between the various denoisers (I've tried some).

Reactions: Revolving Mania
Jan 16, 2023

I guess my eyes aren't good enough or trained enough to catch much of a difference between the various denoisers (I've tried some).
I don't get great results with Intel's AI personally. And by that I mean that it doesn't denoise completely, there are always a few stray pixels here and there. The built-in one works best for me

Vollezar

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020
I haven't tried it myself, so it's only a guess, but if you only denoise with one of the denoisers and leave the Output Tags blank, it might not change the file names. Could just as easily throw an error, though.
Can't leave it blank. Have to have at least two characters. It uses the original name and then adds the tag to the end of the name. Makes no sense to me as to why they would force you to rename the files.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Thank You.
The results look similar to what Daz does. Though it does it much faster. But the renaming is a problem if I have to do a couple of hundred images or more in one go. Might have to think of a way to name my renders so I don't have to do a correction after denoiser does its thing.

The DND denoiser just adds a suffix on the end (I use "_intel" for my denoised renders). This doesn't impact my workflow at all as I never user a raw render without at least one pass at post processing. But I haven't done any serious animations either so i can understand the concern.

Do yourself a favor and get . It's free and very powerful. In my renders with "_Intel" suffixes, I just put "_Intel" in the Remove Words field, select all the files in the directory where they are and then click & boom - done! You can also number sequentially and date bulk amounts of files.

Last edited:

Vollezar

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020

5000 iterations are far more than is needed. And extends render time by a huge margin. Most of my renders for the game are max 1000. 4Ks are at most 3000.

Vollezar

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020
The DND denoiser just adds a suffix on the end (I use "_intel" for my denoised renders). This doesn't impact my workflow at all as I never user a raw render without at least one pass at post processing. But I haven't done any serious animations either so i can understand the concern.

Do yourself a favor and get . It's free and very powerful. In these renders with "-Intel" suffixes, you just put "_Intel" in the Remove Words field, select all the files in the directory where they are and click.... boom - done! You can also number and date bulk amounts of files.
I am just going to stick to using the built-in denoiser, for now. If I do upgrade Daz to 4.2+ then I am going to have to use the external denoiser. I'll get the renamer though. Sounds like a useful utility.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
I am just going to stick to using the built-in denoiser, for now. If I do upgrade Daz to 4.2+ then I am going to have to use the external denoiser. I'll get the renamer though. Sounds like a useful utility.
Ya, I'm finding it very handy now as I am using F95's Iray server and that service automatically adds a suffix to my renders to show what Buffer setting their server rendered with. So I have to remove that when i download the finished renders.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
5000 iterations are far more than is needed. And extends render time by a huge margin. Most of my renders for the game are max 1000. 4Ks are at most 3000.
3090 and night time batch rendering makes a man lazy. Sometimes I find that specular highlights in the eyes and such need a bit of extra time, but yes, I agree that 5000 is overkill for many renders, especially if it's not a closeup.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
3090 and night time batch rendering makes a man lazy. Sometimes I find that specular highlights in the eyes and such need a bit of extra time, but yes, I agree that 5000 is overkill for many renders, especially if it's not a closeup.
FWIW, this is the first time I had access to a 4090 and i'm doing 4K renders with it, this time around. Most of my renders so far have been paperdoll images that will be overlayed on a background but many are full frame renders, with a min of 4K textures, many 8K and even one outside one with an 16K HDRI dome background. Mostof them have had 2 Genesis 9 characters in the scenes as well.

Of the 140+ renders I've done this week, some finished at less then 100 iterations (at 95% quality) but many are in the 4000-6000 range. I played with the settings a bit and I found that even my most complex scenes were hitting 95% right around 6000 iterations so that is what i have set at (6000 iterations, 2700 seconds (max for the Iray server) and Quality ON)

The longest render so far for me was 25 mins. My average over the 140 renders is only 5 mins per render.

I want a 4090 so fucking bad right now! These renders would have taken me 2+ hours each on my machine.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
FWIW, this is the first time I had access to a 4090 and i'm doing 4K renders with it, this time around. Most of my renders so far have been paperdoll images that will be overlayed on a background but many are full frame renders, with a min of 4K textures, many 8K and even one outside one with an 16K HDRI dome background. Mostof them have had 2 Genesis 9 characters in the scenes as well.
It's terribly misleading.
No matter the size of your texture, the quality of it is the most determining factor.
A crappy 8k texture is just that : crap in 8k.
Bigger not really the better; *especially* when speaking about Daz assets.

What even the point of a 16k HDRI dome background outside bloating yourself?
It makes zero sense. What are you even doing?

Last edited:

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
It's terribly misleading.
No matter the size of your texture, the quality of it is the most determining factor.
A crappy 8k texture is just that : crap in 8k.
Bigger not really the better; *especially* when speaking about Daz assets.

What even the point of a 16k HDRI dome background outside bloating yourself?
It makes zero sense. What are you even doing?

It's an outdoor shot where the character is driving on a highway. The dome is a detailed background scene of mountains, sky etc... Using a detailed HDRI is much faster and simpler then trying to create a scene with props and lighting etc.

As for 4K, 8K and 16K... while I agree with you that bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, the size of the textures most definitely does has an effect on the render. Your argument is like saying there's no reason to get an 1080P TV because the old NTSC format was just fine. A 4K texture on a 360 degree dome is easily seen to be lacking when rendered at 4K.

I'm talking a dome background here, done with a high pixel count CCD digital camera. I'm not talking 8K textures for the furniture, lol. I do like the 8K skin textures on many G9 models now though. They make a big difference when rendered in 4K.

While I'm still relatively new at DAZ and 3D rendering, I have been doing graphics as a serious hobby for near 40 years now and you always create big and then shrink down to your required resolution, to maintain image quality. It's impossible to go the other way.