Which game has the smartest Main Character?

Aug 5, 2016
As we all know, games are all somewhat on rails, and MCs, male or female, are liable to making decisions out of the control of the player because it's necessary for the story. In some games, usually female protagonist games, the main character is often dumb as rocks, or at least, hopelessly naive. This is usually the plot device that allows for the fun stuff to happen in those games. But how do MCs of different games stack up to each other? Given the diversity in age range some are probably smarter than others just from being fully fledged adults, but surely some stand out with the poise and ease with which they navigate their challenges. Discuss.

Korentin

Game Developer
May 20, 2019
Any MC that isn't constantly worried about having a boner or have obsessive thoughts about creeping on women is sufficiently smart enough for me not to get annoyed...

It also helps if he has more actual dialogue than inner monologue to show that he's not a complete social moron.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Honestly I have none to name. Not that all the MC are idiots, but it's not possible to measure the smartness of a MC.

A dumb MC is easy to spot, he do dumb things, but a smart one ?
Most of the time he will just "not do" dumb things, which just tell us that he's not dumb. Unless we see him resolving a string equation, fix a nuclear device, or do things that are effectively smarts, he can just be as intelligent as the average guy.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren! named the MC from Heavy Five. His job tell us that he's not dumb, but if he was effectively this smart, he would have felt the trap when Chris was so happy to make him bet on the communication officer. Nottravis made him above the average, but he's far to be a genius, it wouldn't fit the story ; he would have already found and fixed the problem on the station in this case.
In fact, the smartest character I've seen, isn't a MC, but a main character. It's Gracie from The DeLuca Family. There's some MC that are good scientist, like by example the one of Deviant Discovery, or Take Over, but they also are far to be this smart on so many other subject.
And it's normal, they can't be really smart. They need to have flaws, else they'll feel too good to be true and nobody will be able to feel something for them, except perhaps hate.

SlLePER

Dec 30, 2017
but it's not possible to measure the smartness of a MC.
I disagree, It is not strictly possible to measure intelligence of the character, but you can usually see in general their awareness, common sense, etc.
Good place that collects sfw fiction that does this to varying degrees would be the /r/rational subreddit.
As an example a game that has it would be the Last Sovereign, you can clearly see the differences between the MC, wordbuilding(mostly I mean the internal consistency, not the scale, which is huge) and even supporting cast and side characters in this game and the average(or even the better ones) games.

Reactions: Ribbit-Rabbit

Knox_xx

Apr 30, 2017
Do we count parody characters ? If so , its gotta be that Lex Luthor dude from Something Unlimited

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I disagree, It is not strictly possible to measure intelligence of the character, but you can usually see in general their awareness, common sense, etc.
And you can measure it in regard of which reference ?
Is an average 20yo MC struggling with a 8mm video player dumb, or average smart for his age ?
Is a 40yo MC struggling with a smartphone dumb, or average smart for his age ?
Is a MC dumb because he have poor notion of geography, or average smart for his country ?
And at the opposite, is a MC with a not so bad notion of history effectively smart, or just average smart for his country ?

Awareness and common sense are both generational and cultural. And you can effectively measure them only if you share both with the MC ; but if you don't, you'll only have cliché as point of reference, which will not lead to a reliable opinion.
Which fall back to what I said. You can judge the dumbness of a character, because of his dumb actions, but you can't effectively judge its smartness, just find him "not dumb".

Reactions: Adabelitoo and Sole

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
I'm Not Thea Lundgren! named the MC from Heavy Five. His job tell us that he's not dumb, but if he was effectively this smart, he would have felt the trap when Chris was so happy to make him bet on the communication officer. Nottravis made him above the average, but he's far to be a genius, it wouldn't fit the story ; he would have already found and fixed the problem on the station in this case.
Oh, he is smart. Or better say, as smart as the player given it's a game about choices and player has the final word. But if you listen to his thoughts, they often offer valuable insight. I think he has keen analytical mind, but as I say, it's the player who is calling the shots. That bet is totally avoidable. :)

As to the problem on the station, it may be of such a nature that even a genius wouldn't be able to easily identify. Nothing to go on from that. Not saying he is genius either, but by default I have no problem labeling him as smart. I guess you may have simply higher requirements though. :)

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Oh, he is smart. Or better say, as smart as the player given it's a game about choices and player has the final word. But if you listen to his thoughts, they often offer valuable insight. I think he has keen analytical mind, but as I say, it's the player who is calling the shots.
He's "social smart", like some can be "street smart", and effectively have an analytical mind, I agree with this. But he still miss something to be effectively smart ; at least from my point of view. Would he be effectively smart, that he wouldn't had the opportunity to die because of an intriguing malfunction of the pewpewpew system ; he would have seen it come and would have had apologized to save his ass. He also would have seen the wife (don't remember her name right now) come from miles away, and not just understood that she was flirting with him. This among other things, including his total lack of clues regarding what Chris intended to do with him in her dom route.
Which don't mean that he's an idiot, nor that Nottravis didn't wrote him right. He have the level of smartness needed for the story, and he need to be clueless here and there for it to function correctly.
He is perhaps a little above the average for this universe, but he's also far to be a pretender for the title of "smartest MC". And it's right, because it's what make him lovable as MC.

But well, like I implied right before your comment, unlike intelligence and stupidity, smartness isn't something that can easily be judged. Partly because we don't necessarily share the same referential than him (I use computers since more than 30 years, yet my daughter explained me how to use my smartphone. Still I'm smart for someone of my generation), and partly because we tend to judge it in regard of ourselves.
If we needed the internal thought of the MC to understand something, then he's undeniably smart ; assuming that the game is well wrote, and that the said explanation don't just come from nowhere to compensate the lack of writing skill of the author. But if it's the opposite, if the MC didn't reacted to something we feel obvious, it become difficult to see it as someone smart, because he's less smart than ourselves.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
This question depends on what do we consider smart, and compared to the time frame it is in.

In "Vinland" the MC can be a scholar which knows some of a second language and other "smart" things in the time of the vikings, which of course would be very rare.

In "Starship Inanna" you get to pick the MC's specialization of their space military career, this includes combat, computers, etc.

In "Incubus city" the MC can have a start of being a literal God Emperor.

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Would he be effectively smart, that he wouldn't had the opportunity to die because of an intriguing malfunction of the pewpewpew system ; he would have seen it come and would have had apologized to save his ass.
I don't see how he could do that. When he learns that his scheme failed and he was set up, it's pass the point of no return. From what I know of Annie, apology wouldn't save him, nor would anything else. At that point, he was a threat, and opportunity to be eliminated has presented itself. Also, all the smartness can vanish instantly in a panicked state, such as staring at your impending doom can bring. And prior to that? Annie gave no hints that she was on to him. The way she played it, he had no chance. All a consequence of player's actions, of course. :)

But well, like I implied right before your comment, unlike intelligence and stupidity, smartness isn't something that can easily be judged. Partly because we don't necessarily share the same referential than him (I use computers since more than 30 years, yet my daughter explained me how to use my smartphone. Still I'm smart for someone of my generation), and partly because we tend to judge it in regard of ourselves.
Yes, it's a very subjective thing to judge. One can act very smart in one situation and then very dumb in another. It doesn't mean he's necessarily either, nor that he is average. There can be many other factors at play. :)

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
oh god I hope I won't ever be cursed with a 'smart' MC. I bet it would be even more insufferable than those 'ex-special forces megadick millionaire' MCs.

I want my MCs flawed, and being a little stupid goes a long way.

Reactions: 215303j and kytee

kaiten

May 4, 2017
There's some MC that are good scientist, like by example the one of Deviant Discovery, or Take Over, but they also are far to be this smart on so many other subject.
Don't confuse the intent of the dev with the reality you experience. The MC's from either Deviant Discovery or Take Over are presented as scientists and hence smart people, but they come across as just average when compared to the MC from Waifu Academy. Yes, they're smarter than most MC's I've seen, but the one from Waifu Academy is both intelligent and world-wise. Also the one from Personal Trainer. You can be an intelligent peasant, have a through-the-roof IQ, if you don't know how to read or have access to any information, you're still gonna die a peasant without meaningfully impacting anyone's life. You can be less intelligent, well educated and have a modicum of good sense and change the world. Edison wasn't a genius by any measure, he was just shrewd and ruthless. More people know his name than know Nikola Tesla.

Aug 5, 2016
Waifu Acacemy and Cure My Addiction are good choices (as far as games I've played - never tried Heavy Five). The MC from Waifu Academy was actually one character I had in mind when making this post, as he is presented as being both socially intelligent and academically gifted.

Reactions: 2bornot2b
D

Deleted member 1816167

Max from Big brother
Protagonist in Long live the princess
Bobby from bad bobby saga
MC in Echo of lust

Reactions: OneInchMan