Which is better to start Patreon before intital release or after it

bumbiee.soft

Mar 18, 2023
I just wonder which is better to start Patreaon before any release and putting some shots there or just start it after the initial release. and what is your suggestion for finding more subscribers? for example what should be update/release rate and how many renders should be in each release.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
IMO i'd start the patreon before the release but have a per release payment schedule for the first few updates as a show of good faith, with a rider of no more than one update per month(no payment button abuse) and no charges for bugfixes.

As for update size, that is tough to say, assuming daz/ren'py as standard a lot of the better devs here operate on X 100's per update, say 300 isn't unfair for a well established dev, though that would be very high for a beginner. Simply it depends on your medium and xpectation, how many animations if any, not to mention gameplay time per update. You don't need a huge number of renders if the quality is good and the gameplay time isn't very short, not that you should drag it out for ever either.

It should also be noted that this is without mentioning the style of the game, a visual novel needs more renders than a sandbox or a game with a more direct gameplay loop like a brawler or standard RPG as the latter especially has a lot of other things that are going on than just the renders.

My personal choice is good renders over lots of renders, and animations have to be very fluid to be worth more than good stills. It's not just about render number but content quality.

PS: for the love of god don't start something as long as superpowered for your first game, let other people make mistakes for you.

Reactions: bumbiee.soft

Yoru

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2017
Before submitting your game to a platform, it's important to have a strong first version with at least 30,000 words.
However, if your game is more gameplay-focused, aim for at least one hour of playtime.
It's also a good idea to have the next version of your game ready to post within a month or two.

Remember, while financial gain can be a motivating factor, it's important to recognize that money is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

bumbiee.soft

Mar 18, 2023
Before submitting your game to a platform, it's important to have a strong first version with at least 30,000 words.
However, if your game is more gameplay-focused, aim for at least one hour of playtime.
It's also a good idea to have the next version of your game ready to post within a month or two.

Remember, while financial gain can be a motivating factor, it's important to recognize that money is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
It is an RPG game but to be honest I have hard time to even have a render per day but I try my best to make it in the best quality that I can. Do you think for the first release should I have a sex scene? I am trying to make it hard to reach that point that you can have a sex with characters (so not just and easy skip and sex play) for the introduction part i already created about 20 renders which there is zero sex in it (just give background)

Also I do like your characters, they are great, good job

Yoru

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2017
Do you think for the first release should I have a sex scene?
Absolutely! I highly recommend adding 3 or 4 additional scenes to your game. By doing so, you can benefit from tags that match the scenes you post, which can help players find and play the game according to their interests. Conversely, if you have only one scene (or none), players may not be as interested in trying it out.

While I'm not an expert in 3D game development, it seems that one render per day might be a bit slow. You might find this discussion helpful.

Also I do like your characters, they are great, good job
Thank you, that means a lot to me!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I just wonder which is better to start Patreaon before any release and putting some shots there or just start it after the initial release.
I don't understand those who answer "after".

You don't have to pay for that, so who care if you have a Patreon page with zero patrons ? Creating the page before the first release is public permit you to add a link to it in your game, what is the mandatory way to have something come to this page and starts pledging.
Perhaps that it will needs months before someone do this, but once again, who care ? You don't pay for your Patreon page, so just have it, ready for the day someone will want to pledge, whatever when this day come.