Which patreon subscriptions would you keep and which would you cancel?

as22

Oct 1, 2018
Patreon.png

Wanting to thin this list out to 5 creators only and increase the subscription tier for those 5.

If this was your list which would you keep?

as22

Oct 1, 2018
Kick all that paywall their game behind their Patreon. Only subscribe to those whose game is free to the public, but offer other tier rewards to subscribers.
By paywall do you mean giving tiered release access?

I'll probably keep Neon Ghosts Studio as one. He deserves an upgrade considering the amount of content he has been pumping out recently for Friends in Need. Plus all tiers receive the release simultaneously.

Advent Games

Living Together! with Imouto
Game Developer
Jun 6, 2023
Kick all that paywall their game behind their Patreon. Only subscribe to those whose game is free to the public, but offer other tier rewards to subscribers.
This! Or kick the devs doing hard paywalling and see if you're left with 5, first.

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know any of them, but I'd prioritize the ones that publish regularly and stick to a plan rather than When It's Done™.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
By paywall do you mean giving tiered release access?

I'll probably keep Neon Ghosts Studio as one. He deserves an upgrade considering the amount of content he has been pumping out recently for Friends in Need. Plus all tiers receive the release simultaneously.
I was pretty specific in my post - "Only subscribe to those whose game is free to the public, but offer other tier rewards to subscribers."

If the creator doesn't make their game free to the public - do not subscribe to them at all. Not tiered release access (except for maybe subscribers get access 24 hours to a week or so prior to free public release). They should be offering their subscribers other tier rewards. Game access should not be one of them.

as22

Oct 1, 2018
I was pretty specific in my post - "Only subscribe to those whose game is free to the public, but offer other tier rewards to subscribers."

If the creator doesn't make their game free to the public - do not subscribe to them at all. Not tiered release access (except for maybe subscribers get access 24 hours to a week or so prior to free public release). They should be offering their subscribers other tier rewards. Game access should not be one of them.
I subscribe based on the dev's ambitions and quality of work. Not some arbitrary "GIB FOR FREE REEEEE" shit.
I can just pirate it here anyway if I decide to stop supporting them.

"They should be" lmao. Devs can do what they want.

Reactions: peterppp

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
I subscribe based on the dev's ambitions and quality of work. Not some arbitrary "GIB FOR FREE REEEEE" shit.

yeah i dont understand why you shouldn't support devs who paywall their games. if you like the game, what does it matter? it will be pirated here anyway, paywalled or not.

another point is that, technically, devs aren't allowed to have a public version of their adult game on their patreon because all adult stuff has to be paywalled. i never heard anyone getting told to remove their public game from patreon, only things like nudity in banners, but still, if devs want to avoid problems, it is safest to not have a public adult game. should a dev's game happen to have stuff that patreon doesn't allow, even more so.

Reactions: as22

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
yeah i dont understand why you shouldn't support devs who paywall their games. if you like the game, what does it matter? it will be pirated here anyway, paywalled or not.
Unless they put online authentication DRM on it, and there are some such games.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
That's not what I am insisting. But thanks for playing. To reduce my argument to some ridiculous knee-jerk watered-down ad hominem says a lot more about your inability to understand the concept than the concept itself. I continuously push back against the exact sense of entitlement of which you are claiming my argument is stating.

No adult video game found on Patreon is worth $10 per month for more than 2 or 3 months... maybe 6 months on the outside, if highly technical or other quality-related reasons (but those are maybe no more than the number of fingers on a single hand of the average person). None whatsoever, in the world of pricing video games and the experience video games give people. Nada. Zilch. Nil. None. Not subjectively, not objectively. None whatsoever.

As such, my opinion is that no adult video game should be paywalled behind a Patreon. Instead, developers should offer perks to people who are subscribing which are not connected to the ability to play the game they are creating. It can be discord channel access, discord roles, private chats, special images, a very brief window of early access, etc. The game itself is the product from which the creator is receiving monthly patronage so that the creator is freer to build such a creation. Because of this good will on the basis of patrons, the developer should have an ethical motivation (whether they decide to follow it or not) to pay forward the good will by making their creation free for the public since they have already received remuneration for the work behind such a creation. This is not unlike how the public radio and public television programming in the United States works - Free to the public, "made possible by viewers like you."

That is my contention. You can do with your money what you want and developers can do what they want. But you asked us who you should drop and keep. I offered my advice.
Right. Which is one major reason why sites like this exist.
Correct. And you are the one who asked who you should move your money from and to... I offered my response. Devs can do what they want. So can subscribers - hence why you asked and why I answered in the way I did.
See above
another point is that, technically, devs aren't allowed to have a public version of their adult game on their patreon because all adult stuff has to be paywalled. i never heard anyone getting told to remove their public game from patreon, only things like nudity in banners, but still, if devs want to avoid problems, it is safest to not have a public adult game.
Please point to the rule you speak of. The #1 adult video game developer on Patreon offers their game for free to anyone who wants to play it - no paywall. They have done so since the beginning of their being on Patreon back in 2016. They do have a 24 hour "early access" for their game for subscribers as well as private servers for faster download of the game - but otherwise, the game is 100% free to the public.

Also, at least one of the developers that OP supports does something similar - after what appears to be a relatively brief "early access" time for subscribers (less than a week or two), their game is available to the public for free.
should a dev's game happen to have stuff that patreon doesn't allow, even more so.
This is a completely different topic. For this - no developer should use Patreon if they are not following Patreon's rules for its use, and "lack of knowledge" of the rules is not an excuse.

Last edited:

KuClover

Apr 15, 2024
I don't know all of those devs, but I would keep Mutt & Jeff and Jestur.

PC and Ripples are awesome.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Please point to the rule you speak of.
it's the very first part of the guidelines for adult content
"Works which are sexually gratifying or contain nudity and abide by all other guidelines are in many cases permitted on Patreon pages categorized as Adult/18+. The public-facing spaces (e.g. profile image, page banner, tier descriptions) of Adult/18+ Patreon pages must be free of sexually explicit material or nudity, real or animated, in any format: photo, video, written, or audio. Such works should reside behind the subscription wall to be accessible only by the creator’s fan community of paid members."

if they don't include games in this, they don't say it, but it's not just about what's directly visible since they also mention audio. but why would it be only what's directly visible? why would they allow public games with nude images if they don't allow the same nude images publicly?

The #1 adult video game developer on Patreon offers their game for free to anyone who wants to play it - no paywall. They have done so since the beginning of their being on Patreon back in 2016. They do have a 24 hour "early access" for their game for subscribers as well as private servers for faster download of the game - but otherwise, the game is 100% free to the public.

Also, at least one of the developers that OP supports does something similar - after what appears to be a relatively brief "early access" time for subscribers (less than a week or two), their game is available to the public for free.
and? i already said i never heard anyone getting in trouble because of it.

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020
as22, I think you should support who you want, so I won't tell you who you should cancel. But I'll give you a few questions that can help you:

Which games do you like most, are you most eager about?
Who do you like best? Who do you want to support?
Who needs your support the most?
Where do you like the tier rewards best?
Where do you get the most out of your money?
Who makes the most unique games?

I don't think people shouldn't support developers just because they don't have public releases or have more exclusive tiered release calenders. It'd force the actual pirates out of business!

More seriously but just as a devil's advocate, you can think of a reason to support the devs with the most exclusive and extremely tiered releases. A large part of all games are eventually abandoned. Subscribers are less likely to support the most expensive tiers. There's a possibility a game's abandoned at any point between the most exclusive tier preview and the general release of the latest version. If some people sub to those exclusive tiers it minimises the risk that the latest version becomes lost and can never be retrieved.

Sure, that kind sounds a little obsessed, and the rewards here are pretty damn perverse too. But I think both actually go along nice with F95zone's users. :WeSmart:

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin