Which picture looks more realistic?

Which picture looks more realistic?

• a

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • b

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

Oct 26, 2017
Is there something different between them?
RGB vs RGBA, and what the OP said.

Once optimized to a proper RGB32 PNG, b looks much better while also slightly smaller. No 3D expert though.
I thought so too lol, but they're actually different.
Running them through PNGo or similar will instantly remove all IDAT trolling attempts.

Oct 26, 2017
kitchen A: 316783 unique colors
kitchen B: 327470 unique colors (while also smaller on disk - memory size is the same for both as long as RGB is used)

Pay close attention to the luminosity and shading. The assets are the same.
Should drop that alpha channel and the extra bloat though. You get ~16% filesize back without any loss.

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
Perhaps you should make another poll if people can tell the difference. If the majority say no then maybe you could move on and not concern yourself as much with these fine details

Reactions: moskyx

paust.alex

Apr 15, 2018
The first picture has more saturated map colors, the second character. So it will be difficult to choose.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
To compare two pictures you should download them and view them back and forth. Then you clearly see a difference in this case.

I think the saturation is too different between the girl and the background. In A, she looks bleak while the background not so much, in B it's the opposite.

rev2020

Oct 16, 2019
without even open them the second one comes from 32 bit canvases right?
those have more depth than the original 8bit "finished" renderers.
i can tell already that the first one is the default iray renderer .
(but to see that you must be an destroyed Daz 3D user LOL)

skintones also has more "flesh" with the canvases.

so what do i win :)?

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
without even open them the second one comes from 32 bit canvases right?
those have more depth than the original 8bit "finished" renderers.
i can tell already that the first one is the default iray renderer .
(but to see that you must be an destroyed Daz 3D user LOL)

skintones also has more "flesh" with the canvases.

so what do i win :)?
Second one is the default settings for iray render. First one has gamma correction, blacks and burns completely off, while correcting for it with exposure. Saturation is also slightly lowered on the first to mimic how bright light makes colors less saturated.

After looking at them for way too long, I think the first looks more realistic, but it also looks washed out. The second looks more "plastic" but is nicer to look at somehow.

Last edited:

LionHeart 95

Aug 30, 2020
Well the pics really must be viewed with a larger screen to see difference clearly, must viewers will be using a small screen especially android users. but the skin tone in B is more desirable to me.
also based on the darkness of the shadow on the door the pics are at different times of the day. (looks as if you moved one light source) even the reflection of light on the overhead light is different because of the light source has changed. this has changed the over brightness of the main view area of the pics one darker (A) one lighter (B)
proven by visual definition of the doors lower panel clearly seen in B where as in A the panel is darkened less visible definition.
so is time of day important? that would change which i preferred over the other hours do count when adjusting lighting on a 3d pic.

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
Well the pics really must be viewed with a larger screen to see difference clearly, must viewers will be using a small screen especially android users. but the skin tone in B is more desirable to me.
also based on the darkness of the shadow on the door the pics are at different times of the day. (looks as if you moved one light source) even the reflection of light on the overhead light is different because of the light source has changed. this has changed the over brightness of the main view area of the pics one darker (A) one lighter (B)
proven by visual definition of the doors lower panel clearly seen in B where as in A the panel is darkened less visible definition.
so is time of day important? that would change which i preferred over the other hours do count when adjusting lighting on a 3d pic.
The light source is identical.