Ren'Py - Abandoned - WhimsiDate [2023-11-02] [mike24]

1. 1.00 star(s)

datarelay

Whimsi Date is a dating game, not just a VN with many elements of intractability still under construction. The world layout is quite interesting with each place having its own map to roam and flush out characters. Yet all bare bones sketches with a long plan ahead. I got captivated by the models presented and sure they are very well made. Sadly the game was abandoned by the developer mike24, an adult animator that felt the game didn't get enough attention. But for anyone with basic knowledge of this genre the reason is very simple. The developer decided to make a special four branched game, meaning you select one of two protagonists, a guy and a girl. The male protagonist will be chosen ninety percent of the time, therefore half the work you planned was wasted there. Further you pick one of two characters to be your desire, the previous girl, a lesbian girl (for the female protag route almost no one will see) or a very effeminate boy. Knowing the audience for this kind of game one can assume that the gay route will again be almost ignored, therefore even further work planned was wasted. Add that with the strange female dominance thing with many words like "beg" being repeated from the get go, you lost all your audience. It's simple mistakes like this that will sink your game quickly. But Whimsi Date has plenty more in a different category. The narrative is an embarrassment with limp build up and excessively prolonged sentences intended to convey a false sense of intellectuality, like I'm presenting here. The dialog is blatantly forced and false, breaking the suspension of disbelief constantly as no one in college age would have the speech pattern portrayed by the developer. That besides the very peculiar power fantasy clearly inserted in every line, as mediocre as the lowest fanfictions. Above all that, the writing felt as if made to lecture the audience, a move known to ruin any prospect of success. After some research I found that the developer focuses his work on simple animations. Maybe that is the best for him instead of developing an actual game.