Who's Tried Blender 2.80 Beta?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Noice!
Is that using EEVEE?
I ask because I know one issue that plagues most ray tracing systems (Cycles and others) is that you can get some artifacting where you can see the flat faces of the geometry in the shadow gradient if you don't subdivide enough or calculate normal displacement due to smoothing shaders, and it is still an issue with my projects (but maybe I am just incompetent) (and this issue persist even if you set the shading to smooth). But from what I have seen of EEVEE and similar engines used for games, the techniques they use overcome said issue. I ask this because most of your shadows look pretty smooth other then what looks to be some artifacting on the shoulder where that bit of highlight is next to the head shadow. If I could get cycles to be that good it would certainly help render times since I wouldn't need to subdivide as much.

Passenger3D

Feb 5, 2019
Oh that artifact is probably just an issue with eevee's shadows, its realtime shadows so its never gonna be perfect. Also it was not even properly rendered it was just a viewport screenshot, some shadowing issues do get solved once you properly render the scene.

Enthu917

Mar 14, 2019
Remember my comment about not being able to make custom hotkeys, well one of them is to reprogram the mouse to control the camera similar to how many CAD programs operate. It's just a personal thing but as a result, until I am able to make new hotkeys commands for the mouse, I'll have to relearn how to use the mouse in Blender. I'm used to doing not just hotkey remapping, but more advanced core code system rewriting with my hotkeys. So in order to use 2.8 as I would 2.79 (which may defeat the whole point idk) I would need to make a custom plugin which could hot cut into different codes and functions for me).
Perhaps AutoHotkey or AutoIt can help. It helped me to remap e.g. the middle mouse click to the CAPS key, and only for Blender. I guess you know about Walk/Fly mode, but maybe there have been changes in 2.80? Also, the SpaceMouse seems a great device for 3d navigation in general...

I guess I'm lucky I started out with Blender just a few month ago and went straight to 2.8 beta. I love it! Eevee is a blessing for impatient guys like me. I can even imagine doing full-frame animations which is outright impossible with a 10 minute per frame render.

Cigam

Nov 6, 2018
Not sure if this is useful to you or not, but you could also try bforartists: It is a rework of Blender to have better shortcuts, menu structure, clicking type, etc. They remove a lot of redundant menus, add menu buttons for items that were only shortcuts, and change it from a right click to a left click for selection. However I think it is only for Windows at the moment.

Reactions: Cul and Saki_Sliz

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Oh, I had not heard of this before. Thanks for sharing, I'll check it out! :D

QV

Nov 7, 2017
I have to say I've used various versions of Blender for years and I've always put it aside as too non-intuitive and confusing. Blender 2.8 and bforartists are - to me - far far more usable. I can't decide which I prefer, but I'm definitely far more inclined to open up either when I need to.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I guess it's just going to be a matter of eventually having to teach myself something new. While most is the same, it will still require me to refamiliarize myself with the software. I hear even just getting started on things is 90% of the work sometimes. after getting started it is easy to continues.