Daz Why are renders taking so long on Daz3D?

Enough

Oct 11, 2018
Hey, I recently started writing and rendering for my game, and I am not sure exacly how to understand Daz3D render progress.

When i start render after few seconds (about 10-20) i see first preview of render, few seconds later it started looking better (less blured), then nothing changes for like 40min.

Renders in low resolution( about 800x600) took like 1h, right now with 1920x1080 I don't know what I am waiting for - (it's just test of environment without even using proper female character) because render on preview already looks fine

What am I missing? Is there something what I should disable / enable to improve rendering time? Maybe my has already few years (i7 4770 and gtx960), but still I would expect to DAZ3D works faster.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
If DAZ cannot load the scene into the graphics card memory (VRAM), it will not use it for rendering; instead it will use your CPU and make the rendering time much longer.
With your GTX960 that must have 4GB, it's normal that the scene won't fit, and I guess that's your problem.

To check it you can use programs like GPU-Z and see if your GPU is being used or not.

If you look around the forum there are several posts about this and possible solutions (reduction of textures, rederderizing the stage and characters separately, etc...)

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017

goditseb

Apr 28, 2017
Enough

i had to make the same experience... Thats why I render without backgound..
My GTX 970 4GB ( actually 3,5 GB ) fails in rendering Genesis 8 + Background and my CPU takes over ..
It takes between 1-2 hours for simple scenes, really frustrating :( :(

I'm gonna wait for RTX 3000s, like 3070-3080.. till then, writing story and getting into RPG MV / Ren'Py

(y)(y)(y)(y)

goditseb

Apr 28, 2017
i dont get this, so does the scene take ~930MB of VRAM GPU to render ? but cant handle it and CPU takes over ?
Even with CPU taking over and my GPU in inle mode, GPU Memory Usage is at 90%

so confusing 02.png

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
i dont get this, so does the scene take ~930MB of VRAM GPU to render ? but cant handle it and CPU takes over ?
Even with CPU taking over and my GPU in inle mode, GPU Memory Usage is at 90%

so confusing View attachment 521838
That's just what the geometry consumes, the consumption value of the textures will be higher :p
You can check it by looking the log in the menu "Help" > "Troubleshooting" > "View Log File"

What I don't understand is why it uses 90% of the VRAM if the graphics card is not rendering :unsure:
Do you have any other applications open?

Reactions: goditseb and Enough

goditseb

Apr 28, 2017
That's just what the geometry consumes, the consumption value of the textures will be higher :p
You can check it by looking the log in the menu "Help" > "Troubleshooting" > "View Log File"

What I don't understand is why it uses 90% of the VRAM if the graphics card is not rendering :unsure:
Do you have any other applications open?
The usual things, chrome/yt, but that take about 4-5% GPU Memory..

01.png

-----------------------

so i tried it again, it says "out of Memory" in log somewhere.. see log

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

definitly not enough VRAM

Last edited:

goditseb

Apr 28, 2017
You can use and reduce the textures by half.
i hope it deosnt changes the textures forever.. should be only temporary right, like only for that "scene" ?

EDIT: after using Scene optimizer GPU takes over, but somehow whole systems stutters then, like the RAM is full.. i guess need 32GB RAM ( only have 16GB )

thx for your help ! (y) :giggle: i am just gonna wait for rtx 3000, enough time for story and learning ren'py and a bit more experimenting in daz3d.

Last edited:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
You have to reduce the textures by half, save the scene and reload it to notice the difference (and no, the original textures are not overwritten, the reduced ones are saved in a separate folder)

If you're short on RAM, Daz will give you an error and shut down... I don't think that's the problem if you have 16GB (I started with 8GB and in big scenes Daz would close down; I upgraded to 16GB and never had that problem again; I currently have 32GB).

As for buying a new graphics card, my recommendation is that, whatever it is (1080TI/2080Ti/30xx), it should have 11GB of VRAM, LOL ;)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
i hope it deosnt changes the textures forever.. should be only temporary right, like only for that "scene" ?

EDIT: after using Scene optimizer GPU takes over, but somehow whole systems stutters then, like the RAM is full.. i guess need 32GB RAM ( only have 16GB )

thx for your help ! (y) :giggle: i am just gonna wait for rtx 3000, enough time for story and learning ren'py and a bit more experimenting in daz3d.
Be sure you have enough virtual memory. If Daz fulfill your RAM, it will automatically fallback on CPU.

Reactions: goditseb