Windows 11 Renpy 7.3.5 and below Games do not work

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
I dug a bit and found which is the same error, but it happened when the person went from windows 7 to 10, so this error might not be specific to windows 11.

Feels like it might be a windows update error that messes up with openGL or dlls

Edit: Also there is fix for the error you've seen pop up, so I feel like the error might be misleading if you can't even get to a position to fix the issue with that solution :unsure:

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
do you have any game controllers or headphone plugged in at all?

Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 1817482598465806450, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: TroubleinParadise.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 58942445
P4: StackHash_d01d
P5: 10.0.22000.918
P6: 81cba20a
P7: c0000374
P8: PCH_50_FROM_ntdll+0x0007513C
P9:
P10:

this might helpful
ntdll+0x0007513C searched and this what comes up

Method 1: Update Windows

1. Click Start button, and look for Control Panel.
  2. Click System and Security, and select Windows Update.
  3. Click Check for updates and click Install updates.

If you are experiencing the same after performing Windows Update try reinstalling the DLL.

Method 2: Reinstall the DLL

1. Type cmd in the search box, and then right click Command prompt select Run as Administrator.
  2. Type this in command prompt:
    • regsvr32.exe /u ntdll.dll and press Enter key (this will uninstall the file)
    • regsvr32.exe ntdll.dll and press Enter key (this will reinstall the file).

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] so I feel like the error might be misleading [...]
The renpysteam error is misleading. Like I said, this line is on all the logs.
For some reason, Ren'Py now try to import the module by default, what obviously lead to an error for all games that don't depend on Steam. Therefore, unless you're playing such game, it should be seen as a warning, not an error.

P1: TroubleinParadise.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 58942445
P4: StackHash_d01d
P5: 10.0.22000.918
P6: 81cba20a
P7: c0000374
P8: PCH_50_FROM_ntdll+0x0007513C
P9:
P10:
P7 point to a heap corruption. ntdll appear in the report more surely because it's where the error became fatal, than because it's what caused it.
The fact that it's a heap corruption error would also explain why the log is stopped mid writing. It's a critical error and the process at fault must totally stop to prevent a global corruption ; this could compromise the data from other software or crash the system itself.

Now the problem is that it's something constant enough for it to stop the log at the exact same place for anyone who face it. But also something so specific that it happen exceptionally in regard of the number of people playing Ren'Py games.
It's also something that have been "solved" with Ren'Py 7.4.x branch. As I said the only difference is the version of Python used. But this change seem to also imply a difference in the way the interpreter link to the needed libraries. Its own library pass from a size of 2.34MB for 2.7.10, to a size of 5.64MB for 2.7.18.
It's not possible that the interpreter had so much code addition for what is just a bug fix version released after the end of life of Python 2.7. It looks like they included in the library a part of the code that was previously dynamically linked to Windows' libraries.

In the end, my guess goes to an error in Windows C libraries. That would also explain why the guy in the link gave by ambir can run Ren'Py games on safe mode. Windows being then more conservative, it would rely on the base libraries and not a (corrupted ?) redistributable version of them. That would also explain the heap corruption (that would be more virtual than real) if the link table is wrong.
Now, and if I'm right, how to fix this is something else... Personally I touched the limits of what I still know about Windows and C libraries.

NierLeggings

Oct 17, 2019
I have reverted back to windows 10 and I have no issues with running any version of renpy, so something was clearly corrupted in windows 11 for me which no longer is causing an issue in windows 10. I did a full wipe into windows 11 as a test tried again with only renpy on the system and it still failed, so I am completely clueless as to why this happened. So I'm sticking with win10 for now (I will miss autoHDR) Thank you everyone who helped me try and fix the problem, and it was fun to try and dip my toes into the deep end of windows debugging (gflags, windbg, ntsd) but stopped as i had no idea what the hell i was doing and did not want to break anything else.

Reactions: Ambir

knownunknown

Donor
May 31, 2017
I have reverted back to windows 10 and I have no issues with running any version of renpy, so something was clearly corrupted in windows 11 for me which no longer is causing an issue in windows 10. I did a full wipe into windows 11 as a test tried again with only renpy on the system and it still failed, so I am completely clueless as to why this happened. So I'm sticking with win10 for now (I will miss autoHDR) Thank you everyone who helped me try and fix the problem, and it was fun to try and dip my toes into the deep end of windows debugging (gflags, windbg, ntsd) but stopped as i had no idea what the hell i was doing and did not want to break anything else.
I know this is a necro but I just experienced and fixed this issue. When launching any Ren'py game nothing would happen, no logs would be generated and holding shift while launching displayed the same results. I installed python and tried to launch via the .py file via the cmd and using "python game.py" and an error would appear stating that it could not import the renpy.bootstrap. All of the googling I tried pointed to corrupted game files, but since all games did this I didn't think this was the cause.
I also installed linux subsystem for windows and ubuntu to launch via bash but that had errors that i didn't want to troubleshoot, since it wouldn't technically solve the issue either.
As a last ditch effort I installed the renpy SDK and launched a game by loading the folder in renpy. The game immediately loaded and now all games load as expected by just extracting the game folder and launching the exe.

TLDR: Installed Renpy SDK and this fixed it.