WIP (Simulated Story Project) Interests and Discussion.

golrim

Aug 17, 2020
So I been working on this project for a few years now and about six months ago I had a break through and did several tests with it to deduce my original idea to a core mechanic. In truth I don’t know what to call this mechanic but it basically simulates unique NPC interacting with each other and player in a living world to develop a story, or simulated role playing game. The goal is to allow the player interact and experience a different world every time they start a new, where the players and unique NPCs actions matter, and also allow multiple replay value.

I’m currently working getting the NPCs to talk to each other without having to have to use a library of default sentences for them to use, and instead put together their own words based on what they know or want. At the moment I done research on how language works and it’s more reliant on definition and meaning of words since grammar is strait forward. For the most part this will mostly be them using this feature in the mechanic to help them exchange information and to grow and reflect their relationship. Of coarse they only actually talk in front of near the player, away it’s simply a quick simulation of what would happen but without processing text.

I wanted to play a game like this for a very long time and I feel like I’m getting close to making something out of this. Of course it favors games that are story driven so the first game I will make with this will be a text based or visual novel recycling assets, but I haven’t bothered seeing if people had similar interested in this kind of mechanic. There only been a few I spoken with but they never showed any signs of interest and brought how difficult it would be, but it would be interesting to discuss this with someone or a few people. It’s been a real trial.

moskis22

Nov 26, 2020
It seems interesting but very tricky to do
maybe it doesn`t worth the effort needed

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
You should probably try AIDungeon. It's a Choose Your Own Adventure app that uses AI to generate story and conversations. It has a free tier, which is pretty good, and a premium tier, which is amazing but flawed. How you play it is to type out a prompt, then the AI generates what happens next. Then you type what your character says, does, or what other thing happens in the world, then the AI interprets that and reacts. It's like playing DnD with an AI dungeon master. Best part is you can turn it sexual if you want.

golrim

Aug 17, 2020
You should probably try AIDungeon. It's a Choose Your Own Adventure app that uses AI to generate story and conversations. It has a free tier, which is pretty good, and a premium tier, which is amazing but flawed. How you play it is to type out a prompt, then the AI generates what happens next. Then you type what your character says, does, or what other thing happens in the world, then the AI interprets that and reacts. It's like playing DnD with an AI dungeon master. Best part is you can turn it sexual if you want.
I played AIDungeon quite a lot, and even tested it's ability to keep track and focus on the story. While it does a good job allowing you to roleplay a short story it tends to fall apart and lose track as to whats going on. I did notice though that if you give the AI enough information about the character you interacting with they tend to stay on track with how that character behaves, but it takes a while to get it to do this. My project unlike AIdungeon does not try to make up a story, but rather a story is created due to a simulation of interactions and outcomes. I have a few mechanics that allow the NPC to make choices based on their desires, emotions, and personality (still working on personality) which tends to be the main part that gives it character and result in a story being developed. Instead of a character randomly being generated at a given moment to provide to the story, they always been around playing their own part in their own story that may connect or advance another.

Laikhent

May 16, 2018
Rimworld has something that reminds of your system. Have you ever played it?

I don't know if a good game will come out of it, but I think everyone will want to check since it's a very interesting mechanic.

But yea, like it was mentioned, I think it will be very challenging to make your idea happen. If you manage to do it you will have my respect.

golrim

Aug 17, 2020
I played Rimworld and other games like it. One game I played and is quite close to what I have in mind is Ruinarch. Your an overlord trying to kill everyone through super natural force or conflict between the people of the world. You get to choose one out of three overlords to play as and puppet master is my favorite. As a puppet master yous abilities are mostly design to make the people of the world kill each other, themselves, or cause death alternatively by changing the personality of the people. You can play tricks to, but it's changing their characteristics that create an interesting outcome compared.

One play through I tore two wedded couples apart and made the husband a thief. The wife was a guard so she would arrest him, but the mayor would always release him. I attempted to make the wife the angry type, but she never killed her ex husband. At one point the husband entered a cave and got killed by spiders triggering them to kidnap people from the village. The wife was living with her best friend and her best friend got kidnap. I alerted the towns wizard about the kidnap and she told the mayor about the spiders where he did nothing but watch the wizard kill herself trying to save the kidnapped person. After a few more people died and injured themselves trying to save the person the Mayor came in last and picked off the easy remaining targets. At this point I directly killed the Mayor cause one, I didn't do anything to make the Mayor a complete asshole, and two , I was supposed to be the asshole. Instead I accidentally made the wife a hero cause she did most of the killing of spiders and she was made Mayor.

Something like this is what I'm looking for, where the NPCs action's outside of my control tell a story. The Husband killing himself and the kidnapping and making the wife a hero was not my intent at all, but it happen because the NPC had a choice they could make while already existing, no random generation.

Laikhent

May 16, 2018
I played Rimworld and other games like it. One game I played and is quite close to what I have in mind is Ruinarch. Your an overlord trying to kill everyone through super natural force or conflict between the people of the world. You get to choose one out of three overlords to play as and puppet master is my favorite. As a puppet master yous abilities are mostly design to make the people of the world kill each other, themselves, or cause death alternatively by changing the personality of the people. You can play tricks to, but it's changing their characteristics that create an interesting outcome compared.

One play through I tore two wedded couples apart and made the husband a thief. The wife was a guard so she would arrest him, but the mayor would always release him. I attempted to make the wife the angry type, but she never killed her ex husband. At one point the husband entered a cave and got killed by spiders triggering them to kidnap people from the village. The wife was living with her best friend and her best friend got kidnap. I alerted the towns wizard about the kidnap and she told the mayor about the spiders where he did nothing but watch the wizard kill herself trying to save the kidnapped person. After a few more people died and injured themselves trying to save the person the Mayor came in last and picked off the easy remaining targets. At this point I directly killed the Mayor cause one, I didn't do anything to make the Mayor a complete asshole, and two , I was supposed to be the asshole. Instead I accidentally made the wife a hero cause she did most of the killing of spiders and she was made Mayor.

Something like this is what I'm looking for, where the NPCs action's outside of my control tell a story. The Husband killing himself and the kidnapping and making the wife a hero was not my intent at all, but it happen because the NPC had a choice they could make while already existing, no random generation.
Wow. Interesting. Now I want to play that game.
Since you already have concrete examples to base yourself on and have a very good idea of where you are going, I'm starting to believe that you will actually be able to do it. I think it will be a great game. Looking forward to it!