Would you guys play a game with broken english ?

forceline0

Sep 23, 2017
Hello
I have some ideas and the will to use the HS2 studio with renpy to make a novel. But, Im not a Native English speaker and even if I can come with understandable sentences sometimes, it would have many mistakes. Would it be a big nuisance for you guys ? Would you play the game with broken english ?

Lyem

Mar 31, 2020
"Broken English" is fine, some people have experienced things known as MTL.

But even better, if you actively answer people in the thread someone might be able to help and even point out the mistakes, which you can learn from and fix, no need to back down just because it might have a few mistakes, if you have the will to fix it theres nothing to be afraid of.

Reactions: forceline0

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Go ahead. The users may point you the mistakes for you to fix them, and also, there are online tools like Grammarly that help too.

Reactions: forceline0

Loganfin

Dec 2, 2020
Broken/limited English is completely fine, so long as everything can be understood. The gameplay is the most important. I've played lots of games where the English spelling or grammar were off, but its really no big deal. If you're concerned, I'd just keep the dialogue fairly basic, and not have the characters make long speeches.

Good luck!

zenshiny

Dec 31, 2016
I have a pretty low tolerance for spelling and grammar errors, especially if the description touts the story as a selling point. In my mind, grammar is one of the easier aspects of writing, and basic errors invariably trip up my eyes and kill immersion--often before any immersion is even established. When the writer can't handle the easy part, I quickly become skeptical of how well they can handle the hard parts and finer points. That's when I either skip through the text to see if the pictures look nice, or just delete the game. I skip/delete a lot of games.

Given the mostly supportive comments in the thread, I guess I'm in the minority. Not that I'd ever tell OP or anyone to stop making a game; I'm just giving my perspective on how I view bad English when I see it.

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

Tobi/Chaos

Feb 17, 2021
I'm gonna play anything with good Gameplay.
I don't rly care about grammar etc. as for example u can look at all Translate Scripts for many games.

Some korean games have no English Version, but they do have Translate Script
its terrible... and sometimes its hard to guess... anything... but if gameplay is good then why not.

as for example NoR ( Night of Revenge ) have no English Version and it Translate Script is terrible.
But game is rly good and nice Designed :)

Also, if You make soem mistakes ur Community can always point them for u so u can fix them :)...
- Good reason to make Discord Server so u can talk with ur players :p

Loganfin

Dec 2, 2020
I have a pretty low tolerance for spelling and grammar errors, especially if the description touts the story as a selling point. In my mind, grammar is one of the easier aspects of writing, and basic errors invariably trip up my eyes and kill immersion--often before any immersion is even established. When the writer can't handle the easy part, I quickly become skeptical of how well they can handle the hard parts and finer points. That's when I either skip through the text to see if the pictures look nice, or just delete the game. I skip/delete a lot of games.

Given the mostly supportive comments in the thread, I guess I'm in the minority. Not that I'd ever tell OP or anyone to stop making a game; I'm just giving my perspective on how I view bad English when I see it.
Perhaps the difference in opinion is based partly on how important immersion is for you. Its completely irrevelant to me, personally. I don't ever see myself as the character. I'm the guy playing the game and the character is on the screen.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I've never stopped reading because of bad english or bad writing in general. I've stopped a million times when the game veers off from my kinks, I just lose interest. I've also stopped a million times because of unavoidable whores jumping at my dick. when I see an 'millionaire ex-special ops douche' I can rarely make it very far. but I've never stopped because of language.

sometimes bad english even becomes a winning concept. like I just watched zohan again, and the sort of bad "80s tv english" he speaks just cracks me up every time. there's been some heavily russian games that do the same for me. like usually there's some weird wrong idiom they keep repeating and it becomes just hilarious.

Last edited:

zenshiny

Dec 31, 2016
Perhaps the difference in opinion is based partly on how important immersion is for you. Its completely irrevelant to me, personally. I don't ever see myself as the character. I'm the guy playing the game and the character is on the screen.
Nah, I never self-insert into characters, either. "Immersion", in the context of games, is a broader term than that. It could describe how drawn in a player is to the game's setting, mechanics, etc. My point was that grammar errors drastically lower my expectations for any sort of good writing, which effectively kills immersion in a story-based game.

Spelling and punctuation are easy. Writing interesting characters, dialogue and situations is harder. If a dev says their game is "story-focused", they presumably want players to be immersed by the writing--i.e., show that they can do the hard part. All I'm saying is that messing up the easy part generally doesn't bode well for the hard part.

It's like my own version of Old Man Murray's "Start to Crate" metric. If I see grammar errors within the first minutes of playing a game, expectations drop. A lot. If the grammar is good, maybe the game is good.

Dr.Dro

Nov 8, 2018
Hello
I have some ideas and the will to use the HS2 studio with renpy to make a novel. But, Im not a Native English speaker and even if I can come with understandable sentences sometimes, it would have many mistakes. Would it be a big nuisance for you guys ? Would you play the game with broken english ?
engwish coool numbuh wan!

Reactions: woody554

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
Engrish is like a shitty bottle of 5 dollar wine from a sketchy liquor store. You might hate the flavor at times, but as long as it still gets you get fucked up it doesn't really matter much.