Would you guys play a game with broken english ?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In my mind, grammar is one of the easier aspects of writing,
Spelling is way easier, there's tools for that ; and it's someone with dysgraphia who say it.

When the writer can't handle the easy part, [...]
What is forgetting that more or less half the authors aren't native English speakers. English have a relatively simple grammar, but this doesn't mean that it's necessarily an easy language ; especially when you've decades of habit with you native language's grammar, and way less with English.

As for OP question, players tend to be tolerant with the language partly because the proportion is the same than for the authors ; therefore half of them are not native speakers and remember their early days using it.

Laikhent

May 16, 2018
There's a free tool called Grammarly that may be of interest to you. It does more than just pointing out spelling mistakes.

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
Yes if it isn't too text-heavy or if the English isn't that bad, although I do speak Spanish and Portuguese as well so if those are options the English wouldn't matter as much. Overall I recommend the use of Grammarly, a very useful tool I myself use it.

zenshiny

Dec 31, 2016
What is forgetting that more or less half the authors aren't native English speakers. English have a relatively simple grammar, but this doesn't mean that it's necessarily an easy language ; especially when you've decades of habit with you native language's grammar, and way less with English.
As I said, it's just my perspective/opinion. Not saying it's rational or fair, or that anyone needs to validate or accommodate it. If I see English text with grade school level mistakes, I will view it as one might view statements like "2 + 2 = 5", "the kitty says 'woof'", or "the banana is blue".

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
As I said, it's just my perspective/opinion.
And I'm totally fine with this, I just presented another point of view. One where "grade school level" apply only to native speakers, because it's how it is.

Deleted member 1952336

Ortus
Game Developer
Jan 18, 2020
I'm a native English speaker, and prefer English that's not broken.

But you can use something like these (links below) to quickly fix sentences, if you want your game to be enjoyable to people like me: