partanen

Selectively Active Member
Uploader
Donor
Sep 13, 2017
1591521036874.png

Overview:
Yearning: A Gay Story
(YAGS for short) is a coming-out-focused character-driven slice-of-life visual novel with dating sim elements where you play as a gay man starting his freshman year of college at a generic university somewhere in the midwestern United States. You will interact with a cast of characters, each with their own personality and stories, as you navigate college life, develop friendships, play board games, and come out. With luck, you might even find a boyfriend.​

Thread Updated: 2021-08-04
Release Date: 2021-07-18
Developer: Bob C Games - -
Censored: Yes (Check 'Uncensor Patch' for No)
Version: Final
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

DOWNLOAD
Win: - - - - - -
Linux: - - - - -
Android: - - - - -
Mac: - - - - -

adam_base.jpg carlos_base.jpg dan_base.jpg jake_base.jpg james_base.jpg

Last edited:

SpoiledPrince

Apr 23, 2019
screw women we MEN DON´T NEED PUSSY !!!
Relax, bro. Liking other people's a'holes doesn't make behaving like one acceptable. :)
I'm probably the cutest little fairy in Gayland, but that statement sounded more like incel rage than positive homosexual self-affirmation.
Let's avoid bashing anyone, shall we?

That said, I'm really happy to find another gay game with humans only and a variety of body shapes. They are becoming rare these days.

rfox317

May 19, 2019
Aw sad...with the picture choice I thought it might've been the squeal to the original...but no. Oh well the wait continues

bobcgames

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2019
Hi everyone, developer here. (Thanks for the thread, OP., and for the comments, everyone)

Just wanted to answer some of these questions.

Aw sad...with the picture choice I thought it might've been the squeal to the original...but no. Oh well the wait continues
The sequel (ZAGS) is in development now, and is due late 2021. The ZAGS demo is free and available for download now. Just google "Zen: A Gay Sequel"

Does this game have no CG and no detailed sex scenes?
YAGS was less intended to be an adult game, and more intended to be a character-based game about coming out, so it does not have detailed sex scenes. Each of the 5 routes has an ending CG, but those are the only CGs in the game.
(The sequel, ZAGS, has explicit sex scenes with CG images, so you can check that out if you're looking for a more adult game.)

besides that... need a walkthrough...
Chloe Spencer on youtube has video walkthroughs of each of the five routes' good endings.

nitobe-san

Oct 1, 2017
I'm liking the game so far. Art is pretty good, but the writing is really the icing on the cake. Its not as sexualized like Coming Out on Top, but in terms of story its just as good or maybe even better :)

rfox317

May 19, 2019
The sequel (ZAGS) is in development now, and is due late 2021. The ZAGS demo is free and available for download now. Just google "Zen: A Gay Sequel"
Thanks for the followup Bob, I'll do some searching and continue the wait. I will say credit where credit is do, it was tough choice between Adam and James.

nitobe-san

Oct 1, 2017
Walkthough
This is actually more of a guide than a walkthrough, since there's a lot of collectibles and hidden scenes you can get by exploring the game yourself. So yeah, do that. But if you want to find out how to get the best endings, here it is.

NOTE: There is a difficulty setting in the Preferences menu. The walkthrough follows the standard difficulty, but it may also apply to the easy difficulty but I didn't check. There's no added benefit to playing on Standard, so go on easy if you want to more reliably get the route you want (or save edit to make sure you get the route you want). I actually recommend just playing the game on Easy, but in case your save file was on standard by default here it is.

Adam's route is the trickiest because he's apparently the secret route. There's no real indication that you are in his route until the very end. You have to BALANCE the amount of homework and studying you do. You cannot fail any exams, and you cannot study too much. Studying too much will not only hurt your relationships, but apparently your chances with Adam as well. Take note of the narration on regarding your exams, as well whenever you don't end up submitting homework when they're due and you should be fine. You can miss a couple on easy mode, but not on standard.

Carlos should also come out on Oct 6 for Adam's route. This means increasing his relationship stats without showing you want to bone him, especially early on if you go swimming together. So you should avoid setting up moments where things get too intimate early on until roughly late september . If he comes out on Oct 3 (the day event before), it means you're on his route. Rejecting him might hurt your chances with Adam on his route however, so you would want to avoid that.
Carlos is a sweet guy who you have to treat a bit delicately, and is the only one you can do a threesome with Dan with. You can't do extremely risque dialogues until he comes out to you, but you kinda have to give him a nudge every so often. Thankfully, you don't have to be as studious in his route unlike in Adam's. But just like Adam's route, you should try raising your relationship with both of them.

When he does come out to and you start dating, you should keep in mind not to push him out of his comfort zone. This means you'll have to be forgiving despite anything. And while you shouldn't push him into things, you should also not enable him into keeping things the way they are.
James, this silent stud, can come off as stoic but is actually the most if not one of the most sensitive guy you can date. While he's certainly one of the more... stable of the gay cast, he shares his own insecurities (one of which imo can be both a positive, and a negative ). He appreciates your honesty and patience. You have to take your time with him like with Adam and not jump on him the first chance you get. Lastly, if you get the chance to explore the campus, you should do that. It happens early on in the game, and if you don't do it, it could hurt your progress with him.
Jake is the shy type, so someone who's a bit shy like him might find reciprocating his feelings more. He can be one of the most relatable of the five routes and finding what he likes and doesn't like is pretty simple. Like Carlos, you have to measure how comfortable he is in the situation. He won't have the same freakouts like Carlos does but may also need a bit more pushing to build his confidence. Being friends with everyone in his clique will also help a lot (almost unavoidable really).

Jake is the easiest to impress, but is also the easiest to disappoint. He needs quite a bit of attention. If you start dating, avoiding him for your other friends will actually hurt your progress with him.

If you're after Dan, then you can be just as weird as he is. He's kind of the easiest of the routes to get as he will hardly say no.

Last edited:

bobcgames

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2019
I'm impressed by the effort you're putting in to the walkthroughs. :) Thanks for doing that, and I'm sure other people will appreciate it.

Just a few notes:
- Easy mode unlocks after you've completed the game once. It's intended that your first playthrough is about meeting all the characters and their (and your!) coming out experiences more than actually dating, so I really don't recommend following a walkthrough for your first playthrough.
- As noted, you cannot change difficulties once you've started a game. (This is because certain game checks will misbehave if you toggle the difficulty at the wrong time.)
- You can always ask Jake out on easy mode, regardless of anything you've done up to that point.
- Adam is less a full route and more of a secret ending, so his "route" doesn't have any of the usual text cues that you're succeeding with his path. All of the other guys should indicate through their speech or interactions with you that things are proceeding well.
- Easy mode makes all of the "bad" endings harder to achieve, but especially so with Dan, so you probably want to switch to standard for those endings (if you care about achievements).

Kallumin

Jan 2, 2018
I like what I've seen of the game so far. Getting a walkthrough is nice, since I hate replaying things too often. Will play more of this next weekend.

OrpheousTelos

Jul 27, 2017
Im conflicted about this one. On one hand, writing is horrendous. Lots of redundancy, pointless descriptions, it seems that all I do is eat some american garbage, and then chill, and then eat again. I mean, college experience and all, I get that, but it makes for some boring prose. Also, nerd friend group. Just. I never wanted to bully someone more, and theres not really a way to ignore them and just, not associate with them, I tried. Just. Flamethrower. And their petty drama, ugh. Painfull.

On the other hand, I really connected with the actor dude. Too bad I cant seem to lock onto his route, I guess I picked a wrong choice somewhere, the important ones arent really telegraphed well. But at times, game seems poignant, like, I get what you were going for, what kind of vibes.

So, basically, the slice of life vibe of this + the sexual content of coming out on top + some better writing = an ideal college experience gay sim.

Reactions: Resbach

bobcgames

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2019
Im conflicted about this one. On one hand, writing is horrendous. Lots of redundancy, pointless descriptions, it seems that all I do is eat some american garbage, and then chill, and then eat again. I mean, college experience and all, I get that, but it makes for some boring prose. Also, nerd friend group. Just. I never wanted to bully someone more, and theres not really a way to ignore them and just, not associate with them, I tried. Just. Flamethrower. And their petty drama, ugh. Painfull.

On the other hand, I really connected with the actor dude. Too bad I cant seem to lock onto his route, I guess I picked a wrong choice somewhere, the important ones arent really telegraphed well. But at times, game seems poignant, like, I get what you were going for, what kind of vibes.

So, basically, the slice of life vibe of this + the sexual content of coming out on top + some better writing = an ideal college experience gay sim.
Thanks for trying out the game, and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

The game first and foremost was intended to be about coming out and forming friendships (rather than a traditional dating sim), and each of the routes/groups is intended to explore a different aspect of that. The mundane day-to-day you experience with these people is intended to help you gradually grow closer to them, but I definitely understand that the amount of minutiae can get frustrating or annoying to read through.

The sequel (ZAGS) is intended to cut down on a lot of that "time passes and you go do stuff with someone" text, as well as to provide a lot more explicit sex (and CGs), but if the writing in YAGS bothered you, I'm not sure you'd find it a different enough change to hold your interest either.

In any case, thanks again for giving it a try, and for taking the time to provide some thoughts. It's not a game for everyone. :)

Reactions: ChuckShirley