Mod Abandoned Rogue-Like Chonky Mod [v0.3] [Ron Chon]

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes

TeeEight

Jun 22, 2017
For someone not on any discord servers, can some explain what happened to this? All I know is that the creator? Chonky? Ronchon? Was bothered too much and they wanted to make what they're doing private but now I'm reading that they're working on a different project now?

Reactions: drone4of2

chezbons

Feb 10, 2020
This looks brilliant! Likely a dumb question, but is this compatible with prime559's Prime mod?

hhd12258

Jun 18, 2018
Ron Chon is Chonky.
He finally did what the "Rogue like mod community" could not do for years and started making a working rogue like mod.
But a bunch of people jumped onto his mod and started wanting him to do other things like add their art. They for 3 versions of that in and...

Finally it got to problematic, Ron stopped developing a mod and went onto developing a whole new game inspired by Rogue like.
That got 3 versions in too.

TeeEight

Jun 22, 2017
so wait, basically this Chonky mod thing doesn't actually exist anymore? Since its gonna be a new thing?

depechedNode

Oct 10, 2017
Unfortunately current status is not promising, his github is silent for a month now. It may be temporary or it may be already dead. So try to forget about this project until some good news (if any).

• Sad
Reactions: drone4of2

Syliar

Jul 21, 2017
Ron Chon is Chonky.
He finally did what the "Rogue like mod community" could not do for years and started making a working rogue like mod.
But a bunch of people jumped onto his mod and started wanting him to do other things like add their art. They for 3 versions of that in and...

Finally it got to problematic, Ron stopped developing a mod and went onto developing a whole new game inspired by Rogue like.
That got 3 versions in too.
No.

What Ron-Chon had done on just the mod had been done before, what happened was he decided to branch his into a new game instead. There was no-one that demanded he add their work, he started doing that without being really asked for it.

He just refused to let any of his "team" have any input, ignored team discussed things (including setting and other work that been agreed upon by the entire team as the concept to work from for Redacted) and couldn't handle feedback (which often resulted in him bypassing team review). As one of his "team" and the UI artist whose assets he pulled entirely just from disagreeing I can say that, also amusing aside this thread itself is kind of a surprise. Most of the "team" is F95 active and would have preferred to make it ourselves.

Redacted, however, isn't dead. Even that project name isn't Ron's own work, that was actually my project placeholder name suggestion. There are plans afoot but for now, there are no builds to preview.

EDIT: As a point of interest we've preserved the code for the Chonky mod builds as those were community project assets so there might be life there yet, though his code is kind of script kid and a total mess.

MankoEater

Apr 25, 2017
I just caught wind of this mod from the base game's page, and now only its grave that I find. RIP Chonky mod. Young and free, mobbed by horni paparazzi.

Reactions: Ghostload
3.30 star(s) 3 Votes