Mod Abandoned Rogue-Like Chonky Mod [v0.3] [Ron Chon]

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes

Syliar

Jul 21, 2017
It's fucking lame.
Ron could have done something amazing for the community and all Rogue-Like lovers.
But some entitled people harrased him so this project is dead...
No-one harassed him.... He tossed out his own team's work, refused to take any feedback and operated under his own stated rule of "I'm paying for the writing and art so only I get to have any say over it."
He even whined about how no-one wanted to be the editor right after I said I'd review the prologue so far and offered to try being the editor, feedback/review that he totally ignored by the way even after he explained some of the choices he'd made with his hired writer (note: we'd already been writing in house but Ron wanted only a paid writer with 0 input from others on deciding that). With the artists was similar. The only entitled one was Ron.

Take my UI work, whilst it was only at the concept/placeholder stage really once we went in with Redacted, it was/is an investment on my part. However, according to Ron didn't give me any right to have an input on the project.... Even though I was supposedly a key member of the team, so he pulled it rather than talk it over or allow for any input. Was the same for everyone else. Went so far as to pull assets rather than actually trying to talk it out and basically ragequit after being called out over it.

Last edited:

red1988

Apr 18, 2021
dat ist probleme like someone dont like his work and treat him and harassed or oni dont like someone work better art for him not sure what the the people got probleme for what ist really strange here

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
No-one harassed him.... He tossed out his own team's work, refused to take any feedback and operated under his own stated rule of "I'm paying for the writing and art so only I get to have any say over it."
He even whined about how no-one wanted to be the editor right after I said I'd review the prologue so far and offered to try being the editor, feedback/review that he totally ignored by the way even after he explained some of the choices he'd made with his hired writer (note: we'd already been writing in house but Ron wanted only a paid writer with 0 input from others on deciding that). With the artists was similar. The only entitled one was Ron.
On the one hand, having a ~*Creative Vision*~ is vital for any project, not having any kind of goal or anything to aim for has killed off more fanworks than I can name. I'm sure we can all think of multiple projects out there that died because of feature creep and the like.

That said, you absolutely need someone to push back against you if you're making a wrong turn or an outright mistake or your writing just plain sucks. And if the other person is refusing to budge, you need to decide if it's worth being involved anymore. Case in point, I was involved in a King of the Fighters-based project years and years ago that started off as a fapfic with illustrations (me writing, a former friend doing the art), then a series of stories with art, which progressed to a comic, then turned into a VN, despite the other guy having no knowledge of programming - and this was in the days before stuff like Ren'py, when you needed to chisel the code by hand onto stone tablets. I was constantly getting pushback against my writing, being told I had to have a character say this or that this certain room description had to be in there so he could draw it. There was no room for debate or compromise, just 'it's my project so what I say goes'.

In the end, I quit on him. The project never made it past a few cover/display shots afaik. This was a passion project for him and a fun creative thing for me that turned into a miserable experience. With a project like this, you need to be very careful with the writing in particular. One bad turn of phrase or poorly-writtn line can completely shatter the spell the player is under while playing the game and all the pretty art in the world won't undo that.

Syliar

Jul 21, 2017
Missed character sprite. Check it for existing in gamefolder/game but you need rpa unpacker for it.
No you don't. You'd need the mod pack from the drive, it's an Oni asset which isn't included with Redacted by default. Might need renaming.

bwazoo92

Jan 21, 2019
dat ist probleme like someone dont like his work and treat him and harassed or oni dont like someone work better art for him not sure what the the people got probleme for what ist really strange here
Englisch ist so was von einfach, wieso kommt es dir so schwer?

Reactions: Ghostload

NeoStarr

Jul 2, 2017
So is this already dead?? I was looking at the preview images and was excited to watch this grow. As incomplete as it is I quite like rogue like and this seemed like it would be the pinnacle of that

red1988

Apr 18, 2021
beause some people dont like ron work art dat this probleme a now strange ist now this people attack attack him got now silcense here

• Haha
Reactions: Syliar

TheRealFrostiii

Sep 22, 2020
Is this dead/abandoned? I've read the replies to this thread and from what I could gather the guy behind it stopped working on the mod. But im not quit sure. If there is someone who knows something about the future of the mod, if it has one, please clearify. Thank you in advance.

Testerguy19

Nov 11, 2018
Shit, it seems like someone will have to take over for a new mod...but I don't see it in the long run, maybe I'll stick with the Prime mod instead. But fuck this one had so much potential and great art too

ripzip

Sep 6, 2017
No you don't. You'd need the mod pack from the drive, it's an Oni asset which isn't included with Redacted by default. Might need renaming.
Ok... "it's an Oni asset which isn't included with Redacted by default". What do you mean? Where can I download then "mod pack from the drive"?

NeoStarr

Jul 2, 2017
Shit, it seems like someone will have to take over for a new mod...but I don't see it in the long run, maybe I'll stick with the Prime mod instead. But fuck this one had so much potential and great art too
Prime mod is pretty solid, I was just hoping another big mod would take off. This game has a lot of potential. It's a shame its run by someone living off of the bare minimum

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes