• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Others Render Tips

Richard Fappington

Donor
Jul 30, 2018
Not sure what your level of experience is but overall this is well above average from a lot of what I see on this site for folks new to Daz. I especially like the lighting.

The pose looks a little unnatural, specifically the left arm.

The robe would look better if it was draping over her more naturally. This is a common issue with daz clothing, especially when dealing with large breasts. I would recommend trying to either:
  • Simulate it (even if it's not dforce by default you can try adding a dforce modifier to it).
  • Add a smoothing modifier (if it doesn't already have one) and increase the smoothing iterations.

DigitArt

Apr 28, 2024
Not sure what your level of experience is but overall this is well above average from a lot of what I see on this site for folks new to Daz. I especially like the lighting.

The pose looks a little unnatural, specifically the left arm.

The robe would look better if it was draping over her more naturally. This is a common issue with daz clothing, especially when dealing with large breasts. I would recommend trying to either:
  • Simulate it (even if it's not dforce by default you can try adding a dforce modifier to it).
  • Add a smoothing modifier (if it doesn't already have one) and increase the smoothing iterations.
Thank You for the feedback, it's dforce clothing I simulated it I actually wanted to get more of an open look, but I didn't know how to do it, I'm going to try the tip you told me about smoothing modifier also I don't consider myself above average I am actually thinking I'm average now I have been using blender to do arhiviz in the last year also I studied photography and fallowed a bunch of tutorials. For posing, I use pre-made poses, and you are right I didn't notice the left hand looking a little bit unnatural, I'm going to fix it. For lighting, well I can say I am pretty confident lighting in a studio environment, but I actually did only one or two scene indoors and outdoors still I need to grasp how to light them properly if you have any tips they are always well appreciated :). I do have some experience using daz, although I used more blender, and I am trying to get a little bit better every day in each aspect of 3d rendering. If it's ok with you, I'm going to post some other renders here and if you want to, you could tell me what's good and what's bad if you want to. Thank you again for the tips:)

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Since Richard Fappington covered the post, I'll add to the lighting. It's already very good, far above your average Daz user. I'm not too familiar with the Blender terminology as I don't use it a ton, so hopefully you're able to translate it. If you're using Blender to render the above image, that is. It's not exactly clear if you are or not. These are basically nitpicks, you could make an AVN with this quality and it'd likely be the highlight of it.

- Your key light is much, much too bright. Which is going to often leave you with unflattering shadows and in the case of Daz, red noses/fingers/ears. I'd try to tone down the brightness of your key light a bit. Either by making the light bigger (and thus wrapping more around the figure) or by simply turning down the intensity. If you're still having trouble with red/glowing body parts, playing with the Transmitted and/or Scattering Measurement Distance will tend to fix it. This could be my bias toward high contrast lighting talking, though. Some people really like the overly bright/saturated renders (e.g. Being A Dik).

- The eyes aren't fantastic. Depending on the generation, I'd take a look at some of the Daz Original figure eyes. They're often the best you're going to find on Daz figures. P3D eyes tend to be pretty great in the right lighting, as well. As I look closer, is there some kind of sharpening effect here? The eyes look weird. Borderline AI-ish, but the rest of the render looks to detailed to be AI, so I doubt it's that. But the eyes and banding/artifacting in the background point to some sort of filter being at play, and it's not really helping the eyes much at all.

- IT Roy used to have a really good video on the subject, but his channel got taken down. But using the timeline to dForce clothing tends to work fairly well. Jay did a much simpler version of it .

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Been using daz for a couple of years now, here's a bit of my stuff. PC died a couple of months ago and haven't had a chance to get it sorted yet due to rl getting in the way. Hopefully I'll be posting again soon.
Keep up the good work (y)

Prince_Farouks_latest_acquisiton.png
What died, just out of curiosity?

Also really liking that first render. Great balance of light and shadow and using a natural amount of sheen/skin moisture to help the dynamic.

Sep 16, 2019
What died, just out of curiosity?

Also really liking that first render. Great balance of light and shadow and using a natural amount of sheen/skin moisture to help the dynamic.
Not yet sure what died tbh, blue screen of death. I just put it aside and haven't touched it since, will deal with it once rll settles down a bit (been working 7 days a week for last 4 months, moved house, 2 breakdowns of major work equipment, etc,12k later o_O).

Thanks for the compliment I admire your quality of work (professional background I'm guessing?), so for a hack like me, that means a lot :) (-I only know daz, nothing else, not even post editing). Your feedback is always appreciated.

Taking of work, I've gotta run now.

Reactions: DigitArt

DigitArt

Apr 28, 2024
Since Richard Fappington covered the post, I'll add to the lighting. It's already very good, far above your average Daz user. I'm not too familiar with the Blender terminology as I don't use it a ton, so hopefully you're able to translate it. If you're using Blender to render the above image, that is. It's not exactly clear if you are or not. These are basically nitpicks, you could make an AVN with this quality and it'd likely be the highlight of it.

- Your key light is much, much too bright. Which is going to often leave you with unflattering shadows and in the case of Daz, red noses/fingers/ears. I'd try to tone down the brightness of your key light a bit. Either by making the light bigger (and thus wrapping more around the figure) or by simply turning down the intensity. If you're still having trouble with red/glowing body parts, playing with the Transmitted and/or Scattering Measurement Distance will tend to fix it. This could be my bias toward high contrast lighting talking, though. Some people really like the overly bright/saturated renders (e.g. Being A Dik).

- The eyes aren't fantastic. Depending on the generation, I'd take a look at some of the Daz Original figure eyes. They're often the best you're going to find on Daz figures. P3D eyes tend to be pretty great in the right lighting, as well. As I look closer, is there some kind of sharpening effect here? The eyes look weird. Borderline AI-ish, but the rest of the render looks to detailed to be AI, so I doubt it's that. But the eyes and banding/artifacting in the background point to some sort of filter being at play, and it's not really helping the eyes much at all.

- IT Roy used to have a really good video on the subject, but his channel got taken down. But using the timeline to dForce clothing tends to work fairly well. Jay did a much simpler version of it .
Thank you for the feedback:). I did do a lot of postwork on my render, my raw render doesn't have so much contrast and yes I did apply the pro contrast filter from nik collection also used luminar neo to add details to the render but with poor results as you are right there is a strange bending effect on the corners which I did not notice before and yes I did sharpen the eyes to bring more focus to the eyes, but I think I did apply too much. This is my raw render in comparison
Character-01.jpg
Now I also understand why the subsurface scattering in daz was so strong, and how to tweak it, I used daz to light didn't import to blender. What do you think in comparison?. Thank you for all the value you provided:)(y)
EDIT:
For the eyes, I used natural eyes for genesis 8

Last edited:

DigitArt

Apr 28, 2024
Been using daz for a couple of years now, here's a bit of my stuff. PC died a couple of months ago and haven't had a chance to get it sorted yet due to rl getting in the way. Hopefully I'll be posting again soon.
Keep up the good work (y)

View attachment 3591323

View attachment 3591333

View attachment 3591331

View attachment 3591332

View attachment 3591339
This is really amazing work, keep it up, I really like how you light up the scenes. Good work:)(y)
Get your PC fixed as soon as possible