3D-Daz Fan Art A Family Venture: Fan Art

3.50 star(s) 2 Votes

strenif

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
Yes i did my first render!!

View attachment 2241391
Nice man! Keep at it. There's a ton of cool stuff you can do in DAZ. A lot of the learning process is having an idea for something and spending hours figuring out how to do it.

I will warn you now. Expect to be constantly frustrated by lighting. Even after years of working in DAZ, I still fight with it to get the lighting how I want.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Well i tried to add a background but could finish because it was taking hours. I removed the background and this took 20 minutes to finish:

View attachment 2242835
My GPU is not the best, but i need better times or this wont be fun.

EDIT: Well this explains a lot
View attachment 2242837
Prerender your background with focus in the correct location if you are using DOF, then render whatever you want with respect to characters, combine the images. Presto you have a complete image.

mammoth123

Sep 28, 2021
Prerender your background with focus in the correct location if you are using DOF, then render whatever you want with respect to characters, combine the images. Presto you have a complete image.
Well i started a some hours ago so im not familiarized with the terms, i dont know if using a DOF xD. I think I understand you said, make a render without bakcground and only with the character like the preocious i did, the click in the eye to hide character from the viewport and activate the background, make the render and the join 2 render with GIMP?

WillTylor

Creating "A Family Venture"
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Well i started a some hours ago so im not familiarized with the terms, i dont know if using a DOF xD. I think I understand you said, make a render without bakcground and only with the character like the preocious i did, the click in the eye to hide character from the viewport and activate the background, make the render and the join 2 render with GIMP?
When I first started rendering, that’s exactly what I did, and still do to a degree. My card was really weak. I would render each scene in various parts and then Frankenstein them together in photoshop/Gimp to make a single image. It takes some experimentation and practice, especially when the character is interacting with the environment. Here’s a few tips; make sure you know how to hide assets and characters in the scene, rather than deleting them for each render. It’s something that you might have already figured out, but it took me a while to discover that feature. Figure out how to place assets in groups, it’s easier to hide an entire group of assets, rather than hiding each object individually. Next, when you’re rendering objects/characters without an environment, make sure the option to render its shadow is also on, and make sure the direction the shadow is being cast won’t conflict with other objects/walls/characters etc… that being said, shadows can be added, edited in photoshop. Lastly, if you’ve already rendered your background, you can render your other characters/objects with the background added in behind it by going to the environment tab and enabling the background and selecting your background image you already rendered. It will automatically add it in the background and won’t increase the amount of time it takes for your characters to render. Hope that advice helps!

Reactions: vendarr

mammoth123

Sep 28, 2021
When I first started rendering, that’s exactly what I did, and still do to a degree. My card was really weak. I would render each scene in various parts and then Frankenstein them together in photoshop/Gimp to make a single image. It takes some experimentation and practice, especially when the character is interacting with the environment. Here’s a few tips; make sure you know how to hide assets and characters in the scene, rather than deleting them for each render. It’s something that you might have already figured out, but it took me a while to discover that feature. Figure out how to place assets in groups, it’s easier to hide an entire group of assets, rather than hiding each object individually. Next, when you’re rendering objects/characters without an environment, make sure the option to render its shadow is also on, and make sure the direction the shadow is being cast won’t conflict with other objects/walls/characters etc… that being said, shadows can be added, edited in photoshop. Lastly, if you’ve already rendered your background, you can render your other characters/objects with the background added in behind it by going to the environment tab and enabling the background and selecting your background image you already rendered. It will automatically add it in the background and won’t increase the amount of time it takes for your characters to render. Hope that advice helps!
Thanks for the tips. I figured to hide items instead deleting, i was lucky it was intuitive for me. About edit shadow in gimp, im not that skilled :(. I want to learn how to make face expresions and poses (because im using predefined poses). I want to add Ryan too and try to make some action, but i think that will be complicated.

bennyblade

Apr 9, 2021
Nice man! Keep at it. There's a ton of cool stuff you can do in DAZ. A lot of the learning process is having an idea for something and spending hours figuring out how to do it.

I will warn you now. Expect to be constantly frustrated by lighting. Even after years of working in DAZ, I still fight with it to get the lighting how I want.
I agree, lighting is the hardest part to sort out. Ghost Light has been a saving grace for me. I simply created a subset consisting of one horizontal light at about ceiling height and a vertical light along one edge of that facing in than grouped them together. Once I have my character set and posed I add that, make sure the camera haedlamp is off. Than simply rotate it how I need and make whatever adjustments to the presets and intensity using Iray preview to make sure the character is lit well. Than add the environment. If its interior I set the environment options to Scene only, if its outdoors and you can see the sky set it to dome and scene than either adjust the environment intensity to zero and use Ghost light for an even lighting but still have the sky visible or use the sky for shadows, turning off the top Ghost light and lowering the light intensity on the vertical light, using that more like a spotlight to brighten dark spots or angles.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: m4dsk1llz

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
DOF = Depth of Field, it is in the camera options. I always use a camera in DAZ and do not render from the viewport. You have more control over what you see if you use a camera and set the appropriate parameter's.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
I agree, lighting is the hardest part to sort out. Ghost Light has been a saving grace for me. I simply created a subset consisting of one horizontal light at about ceiling height and a vertical light along one edge of that facing in than grouped them together. Once I have my character set and posed I add that, make sure the camera haedlamp is off. Than simply rotate it how I need and make whatever adjustments to the presets and intensity using Iray preview to make sure the character is lit well. Than add the environment. If its interior I set the environment options to Scene only, if its outdoors and you can see the sky set it to dome and scene than either adjust the environment intensity to zero and use Ghost light for an even lighting but still have the sky visible or use the sky for shadows, turning off the top Ghost light and lowering the light intensity on the vertical light, using that more like a spotlight to brighten dark spots or angles.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I tend to use a ghost light that is the entire ceiling of a room if I am rendering an indoor scene. It doesn't have to be very bright, just enough so I don't have to mess with tonemapping exposure, since tonemapper is a post render process. Also setting Ghost lights outside of windows can add that extra light photographers like to use when the sun is low in the sky.

Reactions: bennyblade

bennyblade

Apr 9, 2021
Thanks for the tips. I figured to hide items instead deleting, i was lucky it was intuitive for me. About edit shadow in gimp, im not that skilled :(. I want to learn how to make face expresions and poses (because im using predefined poses). I want to add Ryan too and try to make some action, but i think that will be complicated.
Expressions are more time consuming than difficult. A combination of Power Pose and the slider under Parameters>Pose Controls>Head do quite well.

mammoth123

Sep 28, 2021
Expressions are more time consuming than difficult. A combination of Power Pose and the slider under Parameters>Pose Controls>Head do quite well.
What is Power Pose. I look on the parameters of the caracter and i move down lip a bit, but there is a lot, i would like a predefined expresion to start: smiling, angry etc..

bennyblade

Apr 9, 2021
I did another one but this took a lot, the background in 2 min were ready but the character took 30 min, its because the clothes or what? View attachment 2243412
lots of things can effect times. mostly render settings. Others know better than me on that. YT was my guide.
You can fix the clipping of the Nips if you highlight the shirt in the scene tab and under parameters most clothing has sliders to expand or adjust various parts.
Progressing well tho, glad you didnt give up so soon.

mammoth123

Sep 28, 2021
lots of things can effect times. mostly render settings. Others know better than me on that. YT was my guide.
You can fix the clipping of the Nips if you highlight the shirt in the scene tab and under parameters most clothing has sliders to expand or adjust various parts.
Progressing well tho, glad you didnt give up so soon.
Hey the nipples are the best thing of that image hahaha.

Good to know though

3.50 star(s) 2 Votes