Caspicious

Dec 29, 2018
Oh, in that case I have some more testing to do to make sure that isn't my fault. :confused:
I built that compressed version based on the full size PC version, so I don't know if that error shows up on the official Android version or not.

EDIT: Okay I think I found the issue, and am working on a fix. The official release does not seem to be effected, for what it's worth.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I, and all who seems the compressed android APK, appreciate your efforts.

The Android version sits at 1.97 gb which should be 200+ below the OS threshold when it comes to application.

Why doesn't it install?

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Donor
Compressor
May 26, 2019
I, and all who seems the compressed android APK, appreciate your efforts.

The Android version sits at 1.97 gb which should be 200+ below the OS threshold when it comes to application.

Why doesn't it install?
Well, I've gotten the official build to install on my new phone(6GB RAM/Android 10) but not on my old one(4GB RAM/Android 9), so maybe the size is an issue with older phones?

In any case, I'm compiling & uploading the updated build now and as a bonus, I'm also uploading optional save & persistent files for people who want to start with all the main story content finished and the gallery unlocked.

My release post has the update. You might have to uninstall the existing version first then install the new version, rather than merely updating. Make sure you back up your saves (located in \Android\data\hngg.unofficial.ahouseintherift\files\saves) to a different folder before uninstalling!

Last edited:

Caspicious

Dec 29, 2018
Well, I've gotten the official build to install on my new phone(6GB RAM/Android 10) but not on my old one(4GB RAM/Android 9), so maybe the size is an issue with older phones?

In any case, I'm compiling & uploading the updated build now and as a bonus, I'm also uploading optional save & persistent files for people who want to start with all the main story content finished and the gallery unlocked.

My release post has the update. You might have to uninstall the existing version first then install the new version, rather than merely updating. Make sure you back up your saves (located in \Android\data\hngg.unofficial.ahouseintherift\files\saves) to a different folder before uninstalling!
Works fine now, thanks! Tho, there are still errors only repeating with Lyriel's side after the sex with the option to talk to the girls and Lyriel herself. But, overall was able finish the current version.

Thank you very much!

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Donor
Compressor
May 26, 2019
Works fine now, thanks! Tho, there are still errors only repeating with Lyriel's side after the sex with the option to talk to the girls and Lyriel herself. But, overall was able finish the current version.

Thank you very much!
Sorry I missed that one, I see it now.
Your welcome!
hey, can anyone give me save game data? I forgot to backup when replacing the old version
You can use this save file to start near the end of the current content, if you want.

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
I try my best to stay away from incomplete games because the forced cliffhangers caused by the aforementioned incomplete state of the game are incredibly frustrating to me. However, I finally caved and tried it after lurking about the thread for some months and, well, I could type an entire formal essay praising it but I'm sure nobody wants to read something that long. Instead, as soon I get my job back, I'm going to silently throw money at you and I demand that you accept it (please?).

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
The release for the public version seems to be delayed (more than 1 week from the early access version)
0.4.7 is delayed, 0.4.6 Public will be released when 0.4.7 is released to patrons...
You can read the posts about the delay in the quotes below
May 31

Hey, folks. I'm doing my best to get the build out today, but things keep happening, and I still have a lot to do. If you have cancelled your Resident+ pledge this month, or are planning to cancel it for next month, please PM me your email address here in Patreon messages (preferable) or on Discord. I will send you the v0.4.7 alpha build and all its updates. I think it's only fair to do this since I'm blowing past my deadlines again.
Jun 5

Hey, folks.
This update has been a bit of a nightmare. It’s not even that big, it’s just that life things keep happening at the worst possible time. I’m set on getting it out “today”, as in, I won’t stop working until it’s done. It's so overdue, it's not even funny.
But at least we have a new writer joining the team. As I mentioned in the previous update, lots of folks submitted their work, and many submissions have been great. If I could, I would have loved to bring in a whole team of writers, but there are some budget constraints still, so I had to choose a single person.
So say hello to Jess! Well, you can’t really do that here, so if you can, pop onto our Discord server for that.
The v0.4.7 will be out as soon as I’m done with the final render, and v0.4.6 will be going public at the same time.
See you soon.

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
Am I the only Lyriel fan? Admittedly I may or may not have a thing for elves which might cloud my judgement, and she was being kind of a bitch at first (and her plans to apologize backfired completely which I found both hilarious and adorable), but she seems to catch so much flak and negativity and I can't understand why :unsure:

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
Am I the only Lyriel fan? Admittedly I may or may not have a thing for elves which might cloud my judgement, and she was being kind of a bitch at first (and her plans to apologize backfired completely which I found both hilarious and adorable), but she seems to catch so much flak and negativity and I can't understand why :unsure:
As you said she was a bitch. I would say we don't know enough about her till now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Cacaprout123

Nov 14, 2019
I like her
Waiting for more content

mrsearch

Apr 11, 2018
She's close to being a solid character but you can't just have a tragic backstory (with zero nuance) and use that to write a one dimensional character and expect that character to be, likeable once the reveal happens. If she had some more effort put into making her a character with some actual depth other than "Filthy non-elves I am true born and you must kneel to me!" or "Am pure no sex talk RUN AWAY!" I know I'd like her more. There is no hint to her facade being, well a facade. She comes across as nothing more than an entitled cunt instead of someone putting up a wall to avoid getting betrayed or hurt again.

If she was well written people wouldn't have the reaction of "wow what a cunt" and stop there. It'd be "What happened to her, she's being such an ass for some reason but obviously she isn't a bad person" If that makes sense. Right now she comes across as a shitty person full stop. Granted we haven't gotten a whole lot of backstory for her but what little we have gotten...hasn't been anything that justifies her being shallow. Someone having trauma doesn't default to an offensive attack at everyone. There is nuance to writing that kind of person that simply isn't seen here.

As much as I've enjoyed this game I think it's fair to say the writing isn't the strongest point anyway. It's not bad but it seems unfocused or unsure of what tone it's going for. We've gotten some peeks into infernals and Rae's history followed up with lines akin to "grab dem tiddies". Quite the conflict going on between haha funny joke line cuz horndog mc, and woah, lore. So I wouldn't expect her to ever get properly conveyed justification concerning her behavior given the current quality of writing.

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
A valid point. In the numerous works of fiction I have read that involve elves (and high elves in particular), they're often portrayed as haughty and extremely prudish, showing an excessive degree of disdain towards any race other than their own, sometimes even refusing to speak to them altogether. I don't know where this originated from but it seems to be the default for them at this point, both in literature and in media. With that in mind, the fact that my first impression of Lyriel was somewhere in between of "wow, easy there, you" and wishing she would just stay locked in her room forever was not surprising, but also not unexpected. From the moment she was referred to as a "high elf" and started being a brat towards... Tiana, I believe was her name? I knew what I was in for.

Still, as a dev/writer, I imagine one needs to keep in mind that not everyone partakes of works of fiction, less so that might include elves specifically, so they may not be aware of all that. If you don't, you end up creating an extremely irritating character that comes across as entitled, brattish and annoying "just because", and that tends to turn people off faster than I do when I walk down the hall naked.

Still, you are correct, the game is far from finished for all we know, so we may yet see a solid reason as to why she turned out this way... or not, who knows. I hope not, but maybe she really is just the stereotypical haughty high elf who knows nothing of how the world works and needs to wake up and smell the coffee, in which case I agree that this needs to be told in a more elegant and detailed manner. As it is, her background flashbacks felt a little... rushed? Very resumed. Like, you get bits and pieces of it, but not the whole story, and that can definitely skewer perceptions for the reader(s).

Ugh, forgive me, I rambled. As a writer, fluid, coherent storytelling is something I'm very passionate about. I suppose my "elf thing" also lowkey makes me want to ride to her defense despite also thinking she sounded like a complete bitch (at least at first).

mrsearch

Apr 11, 2018
Ugh, forgive me, I rambled. As a writer, fluid, coherent storytelling is something I'm very passionate about. I suppose my "elf thing" also lowkey makes me want to ride to her defense despite also thinking she sounded like a complete bitch (at least at first).

Don't worry about rambling, I completely agree and hope we see more development for her...some more nuanced writing eventually would also be nice. I'd like to see her current story turned from a "christ she's a bitch" 1 trick pony into a "man she is so defensive and distant all the time" scenario. That'd be a decent amount of rewrites already but I'm a sucker for characters with tragic backstories myself so it'd be a welcome change imo.

The stockade scene in particular has me confused as hell. Was that a nightmare she imagined or did that happen to her and now she's reliving it in her sleep? If that happened she sure as hell doesn't seem to be traumatized from such a horrible experience during what little we've seen. So it comes across to me as a disjointed attempt at weaving a dom/sub style scene into her story without really establishing it within said story. (this is most likely simply me filling in gaps that haven't been filled yet though)

The entire chain of events leading up to it is basically this. We see a prudish high elf that's living with someone (aunt) in a decent looking inn. Her aunt is having an orgy, she peeks and gets flustered, caught and almost raped. Falls off a balcony only to either be saved or die and then be transported. We see she's a huge dick to everyone and then smash cut to her in stockade to be used by her aunt for financial gain. She never shows that she may have experienced something so traumatic, instead we get "haha innocent elf gets flustered by sexuality heavy topic".

rambling incoming

Does she get flustered and that dream wasn't a nightmare but her fantasy about the MC rescuing or using her? Maybe, but the second possibility sure as hell isn't telegraphed prior. That's the only route that makes sense to me though. Maybe that's what's intended but it could be structured better. Maybe she's seen her aunt in those stocks before and that's where the dream comes from, but why the rescue path then? Why does she need to be rescued from such a horrible situation?

This game definitely doesn't have the nuance to even begin looking into her psychologically connecting her lack of sexual experience, her situation, and the warping of said situation into a personal hell simply due to her ignorance of the outside world over a lack of perspective. Which could explain her having a dream that is so traumatic but having it be an invention of her subconscious mind and her desire to be closer with MC.

/ramble

Even if we don't see major improvements for the writing, it's a fun game nonetheless that has given me quite a few laughs.

tl;dr she's cute but needs some major writing overhauls and some better planning imo

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
This is just theory crafting at this point, but I remember Rae saying, at some point, that Lyriel is a ticking time bomb of pent up frustration, or something along those lines (it's been a few months since I played through that part). My theory, after seeing those dreams she had, whether you choose to "use" her or not in them, is that she's become interested in/attracted to the idea of sexual intercourse at some point in her life (this likely escalated by her aunt's actions to some degree), not necessarily involving the MC, but just in general. While at the same time, her upbringing (this is conjecture on my part) taught her that sex is dirty and beneath her. She could have these dreams, because no one controls their subconscious mind, and then feel angry at herself (and everyone around her) because she had them in the first place.

I don't know if I'm making much sense here, but basically I'm trying to say that she's conflicted. It frustrates her and causes her to lash out, while at the same time getting easily flustered at the sight/mention of anything remotely sexual. If all high elves are as prudish and traditional as other works of fiction have led me to believe over the years, then displaying any sort of interest in sex would probably have lead to her exile as well.

Of course, to know whether any of this is true or not, we would have to see a lengthy explanation of what happened in her past, from herself or via non-sexual dreams. The whole argument she has with her aunt, to put it bluntly, explains nothing other than the fact that Lyriel seems like a spoiled brat who's used to have everything handed to her, suddenly being thrown out and disowned, and now has to learn how to survive in the real world like those who she thought were beneath her. That would maybe explain her attitude, to a certain extent, but again, this is just conjecture on my part. Hopefully all these questions will be answered eventually.

Reactions: notBatman747
4.70 star(s) 318 Votes