A message to all devs: cliffhangers are a crappy idea!

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
A wholeheartedly message to every VN author:

STOP ending a chapter / an update with a cliffhanger!!! that's the shittiest idea ever!

That's crap in tv series / movies / fiction / whatever and that's crap in VNs too. Please stop it.

Well... I just needed to vent...

Anyway, just think about it, ok?

• Haha
Reactions: Penfold Mole

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Cliffhangers are fine. Just like every other trope when used sparingly can make a story better. The issue is a few devs here think that every other update needs one, and that shit getsboth predictable and boring fast.

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
Just ended reading a VN with a huge cliffhanger. I said: "oh well, it is what it is". Then I thought: "damn, next update will come out next summer, at best... WTF" :cry:

Have you tried looking for other games or activities in the meantime?

A cliffhanger is what keeps the audience coming back for more; It's always been an ingredient for success.

If you're really enjoying the game, remember not to rush its growth progress.

oh well, it is what it is
:whistle:

May 3, 2018
I think the only problem with cliffhangers at the end of updates is if there is a cliffhanger at the end of the LAST update the game will ever do.

And I guess if the cliffhangers are done badly like old serials:
"Oh, no! Batman and Robin are tied up by the villain and the spinning saws are inches from their face! How will they get out of this situation, viewers?!"
Next week:
Situation is already over and Batman is free as the episode starts, brushing himself off as he unties Robins ropes. "That was a close one, Robin! Now let's get that fiend!"
:confused:

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
I think the only problem with cliffhangers at the end of updates is if there is a cliffhanger at the end of the LAST update the game will ever do.

And I guess if the cliffhangers are done badly like old serials:
"Oh, no! Batman and Robin are tied up by the villain and the spinning saws are inches from their face! How will they get out of this situation, viewers?!"
Next week:
Situation is already over and Batman is free as the episode starts, brushing himself off as he unties Robins ropes. "That was a close one, Robin! Now let's get that fiend!"
:confused:
I'm just thinking about these damn tv series where season's last episode ends with a cliffhanger... then 6-10 months after tv managers tell us the tv show has been canceled and there won't be a new season. :sneaky:

Patreon's VNs have the same problem: you never know whether you'll see another update.

Reactions: Glib_Gentleman

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Good things don't last long better get used to it :rolleyes:
But the problem with these Patreon VNs is that they do "last" LONG, you know: I've been following a VN (I won't tell its name) since 2018 - since its 0.1 release - and now the Dev just announced a few days ago that he quits and he has abandoned the game. Right when the ending was just around the corner.

It lasted too long, I guess.

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
But the problem with these Patreon VNs is that they do "last" LONG, you know: I've been following a VN (I won't tell its name) since 2018 - since its 0.1 release - and now the Dev just announced a few days ago that he quits and he has abandoned the game. Right when the ending was just around the corner.

It lasted too long, I guess.
Usually " i quit" they refer to : I milked enough money from this one, time to change my dev name and make new project.