VN Ren'Py A new adult game in development - Astros - a cosmic love story!

biZZler

Creating Astros - a cosmic love story!
Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
IMHO this couldn't be the best approach to develop a game.
A dev should work on something he likes to do, if you start putting stuff you don't 100% like this would lead yourself to slowly yet surely lose interest in your own project...
I wouldn't just include anything, which is why, I said I'll try me best to include them, if the story permits (which BTW also means if I myself like the idea), so yeah that is exactly what I think as well.

Reactions: darlic

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Hmm... I plan to include daddy play, slut training, voyeurism, throat play, creampies, and more based on how the story progresses in the future.

Feel free to let me know any fetishes that you would like to see and if the story premits, I'll try my best to include them.
Sounds really good, biZZler. Nice promo render, btw. She's cute, and I like that you included a background figure - it suggests commitment to a realistic world!

As for fetishes I'd like to see... gangbangs! :love: I imagine it would take the story a while to manoeuvre the MC into that position - but if you do include group sex, it would be good to see you get there quicker than most games do. (So many keep it as an ever receding promise :cry:) But the fetishes you listed all sound good to me... I'll be especially interested to see how you manage with throat play (tried it myself, but gave up in frustration over the D-Forms).

Reactions: biZZler

biZZler

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
As for fetishes I'd like to see... gangbangs! :love: I imagine it would take the story a while to manoeuvre the MC into that position - but if you do include group sex, it would be good to see you get there quicker than most games do. (So many keep it as an ever receding promise :cry:) But the fetishes you listed all sound good to me... I'll be especially interested to see how you manage with throat play (tried it myself, but gave up in frustration over the D-Forms).
As much as I would love to include gangbangs, I don't think my current rig will be able handle more than 3 genesis figures in a render without hitting the memory limit and switching back to CPU rendering. So I'm sorry to say this, but I won't be able to include gangbangs until I'm able to buy an egpu which can handle the memory requirements (which won't happen until I get more Patrons!).:(

Reactions: RanliLabz

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
As much as I would love to include gangbangs, I don't think my current rig will be able handle more than 3 genesis figures in a render without hitting the memory limit and switching back to CPU rendering. So I'm sorry to say this, but I won't be able to include gangbangs until I'm able to buy an egpu which can handle the memory requirements (which won't happen until I get more Patrons!).:(
Yeah - it's a bit catch 22. I only managed to get a decent computer last month (thanks to my patrons :D), before that I had to do the lot as CPU renders - which was agonisingly slow! Hopefully, once you get v0.1 out, you'll pick up a decent number of Patrons.

Really like the new logos on your Patreon, btw... very professional looking. (y) May I suggest a rethink on some of your marketing, though? The first goal seems rather high for a 'motivational' goal (lol - it's a bit 'I don't get out of bed for less than $600!); and the $1 Tier blurb 'Light is still light, no matter how dim' is a bit too dismissive of the donation to attract anyone.

biZZler

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
Yeah - it's a bit catch 22. I only managed to get a decent computer last month (thanks to my patrons :D), before that I had to do the lot as CPU renders - which was agonisingly slow! Hopefully, once you get v0.1 out, you'll pick up a decent number of Patrons.
Hmm a workaround I have found is to render the scene initially with just 1 or 2 genesis figures at first and then use spot rendering on the remaining ones one (or two when they are close by) at a time, keeping the other figures hidden. This has saved me quite some time already!
Then again, this method wouldn't work for gangbangs, etc since we would need most of the figures in close proximity!

Really like the new logos on your Patreon, btw... very professional looking. (y)
Thanks man!

May I suggest a rethink on some of your marketing, though? The first goal seems rather high for a 'motivational' goal (lol - it's a bit 'I don't get out of bed for less than $600!); and the $1 Tier blurb 'Light is still light, no matter how dim' is a bit too dismissive of the donation to attract anyone.
Yeah those "blurps" were kinda whipped up off the back of my mind without much thoughts!. Hmm I'll change them soon.

About the goals, My friend and I are students and this is more like a part time job + hobby rather than just a hobby, unlike most other devs, who already have a paying job. So we really need at least that much (split two ways about $300 per head) for it to at least make sense.

Reactions: RanliLabz

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Hmm a workaround I have found is to render the scene initially with just 1 or 2 genesis figures at first and then use spot rendering on the remaining ones one (or two when they are close by) at a time, keeping the other figures hidden. This has saved me quite some time already!
Then again, this method wouldn't work for gangbangs, etc since we would need most of the figures in close proximity!
Yeah - working with an old rig requires some pretty creative solutions! Spot-renders are great for small changes, but my advice would be to render the background and figures separately (remember to turn down the ground shadow intensity and adjust the lighting to match though!) That means you only have to render one background per camera angle, and you can overlay the images in an editing program afterwards - adjusting the curves, gamma and exposure, etc as appropriate. It comes with the cost of static cameras and poor shadow-casting, but the time saving is vast!
The best example I've got of that in my game - if you want to check it out - is the Decontamination Scene. That's got 5 characters, which I had to render in pairs. Later on I have a gangbang scene with 4 characters (a Hell fantasy - warning that it contains bi and futa content). It kept crashing the CPU, so I had to render one character separately, then overlay it and spend some time attacking it in Photoshop with an eraser to make it's bits fit ;)... Worth it, since it wouldn't have been possible for me otherwise!

About the goals, My friend and I are students and this is more like a part time job + hobby rather than just a hobby, unlike most other devs, who already have a paying job. So we really need at least that much (split two ways about $300 per head) for it to at least make sense.
I can absolutely appreciate that - especially with 2 devs - but I think that you need to consider the message it sends to Patrons.

*takes off Dev's hat, puts on Patron's hat*

Pledging is a pretty intense act of altruism - giving money that you don't have to in order to be part of bringing something into existence. You're only really going to do that if you're sure that the Creator is as passionate as you about the project as you are, and isn't going to abandon it if they aren't making enough money. Most Patrons are actually investing in the finished project - and because many of us have been burned by devs throwing in the towel, we need to know that our money won't be wasted before we consider pledging.

It's also important to remember that there are plenty of great games that don't make anything like $600. For example, has been plugging away since 2014 and has an impressive 347 Patrons - twice my count - putting him in the top 10% of adult games by Patrons… but his monthly take is $426.

I guess the question is, would you and Sake-Man carry on making the game if you didn't reach $600 within a couple of months of first release? If you would - which your posts so far suggest to me - then let potential Patrons know that in the goals!

biZZler

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
Hmm there is a weird bug in Daz studio. Sometimes when the rendering falls back to the CPU for some reason, if i cancel the render and change something in the scene and re render, Daz doesn't even try using the GPU again until i restart the application again. Lost a lot of time today coz of this!!o_O

biZZler

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
Main image is looking great, biZZler! You going to switch up the Renpy interface?
Yeah I want to, but not sure whether I should attempt to change too much of it right away. Maybe some some subtle changes for the first release and then keep changing things as I add more features?

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Yeah I want to, but not sure whether I should attempt to change too much of it right away. Maybe some some subtle changes for the first release and then keep changing things as I add more features?
That's how I've approached mine (though I'll be doing a proper overhaul when I finish 'Phase 1' in a couple of months). I'd suggest the main things you might want to look at before first release are stripping out the Renpy-added name and version number. Perhaps stick the version number in the top bar, and add a colour/white version of your game logo to the main_menu image? Also would be good to change the font of the menu options to something that better reflects the game setting... prob the same as your logo font. (PS, what is your logo font... I love it!)

biZZler

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
That's how I've approached mine (though I'll be doing a proper overhaul when I finish 'Phase 1' in a couple of months). I'd suggest the main things you might want to look at before first release are stripping out the Renpy-added name and version number. Perhaps stick the version number in the top bar, and add a colour/white version of your game logo to the main_menu image? Also would be good to change the font of the menu options to something that better reflects the game setting... prob the same as your logo font.
Yeah I'm thinking something along those lines as well.

PS, what is your logo font... I love it!
It's Space Age.

biZZler

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
Demo out guys!!:cool:
Head over to to try it out.
banner02full.jpg

Reactions: DrackDrap