greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
How hard can it be to use Ren'py??
If you bothered to spend any time looking at videos about the creative process involved in creating Ren'Py and RPGM based projects you'd know that:
  • Ren'Py requires the Author to write all the scripting code needed to do anything/everything. From displaying character dialogue and images on the screen, to showing menus and the conditional statements needed to control the flow of the game.
    eg. it's a programming environment, so you need to learn how to write code to create a project.

• RPGM projects are built using an GUI application, where the Author uses a mouse to selects options to do most things. And now-and-then they need to manually type things like identifiers, character dialogue, and numbers.
    eg. it's an interactive environment, so you don't really need to know how to write code.
And some people prefer an interactive environment over having to write code.

But if you really want to know how hard it is to build a Ren'Py project why don't you create one!

Innocent Chloe

Jul 23, 2017
I hate when these 3d game devs constantly use RPGM even though it does not fit the game at all. How hard can it be to use Ren'py??
This game would not work at all in Renpy lol....

Renpy is great for linear stories, kinetic novels and linear but branching stories. For example think of games like Good Girl Gone Bad

But Renpy cannot do an open world adventure game, the only engine that can do that is RPGM. So games like A New Dawn and Claire's Quest can only be achieved in RPGM

While there are definitely adult games out there that should not be RPGM and should be a Renpy instead. This is not one of them. This game uses RPGM correctly for the type of games that are ideally suited for the RPGM gameplay and this game could not be achieved at all in Renpy. Especially since you have stealth sequences, combat, waiter content, house cleaning content, exploration content, optional content etc... etc...

My only complaint about this game will always be the dream content, this game would be vastly vastly better without the dream content, it really breaks up the gameplay and slows down the pace of the game and turns an otherwise A+++ game into quite the grind

But that aside there is no way this game ever could have been done in Renpy and I do wonder if you've even played the game to have come to that conclusion?

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
But Renpy cannot do an open world adventure game, the only engine that can do that is RPGM. So games like A New Dawn and Claire's Quest can only be achieved in RPGM
Just going to say, RPGMaker is far from the only engine capable of doing open world adventure games. If you want an engine with pretty much everything built in already, WolfRPG engine is pretty much the same as RPGMaker. Then if you're willing to find and (likely) pay for code on their asset stores (or do it yourself), both Unity and Unreal Engine are fully able to do anything RPGMaker does. That's not even getting into more obscure, usually developer specific engines (like the Infinity Engine, which Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were made in).

Innocent Chloe

Jul 23, 2017
Just going to say, RPGMaker is far from the only engine capable of doing open world adventure games. If you want an engine with pretty much everything built in already, WolfRPG engine is pretty much the same as RPGMaker. Then if you're willing to find and (likely) pay for code on their asset stores (or do it yourself), both Unity and Unreal Engine are fully able to do anything RPGMaker does. That's not even getting into more obscure, usually developer specific engines (like the Infinity Engine, which Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were made in).
RPGM is vastly superior for this type of game than all of those lol

RedWyne007

Jul 12, 2021
If you bothered to spend any time looking at videos about the creative process involved in creating Ren'Py and RPGM based projects you'd know that:
  • Ren'Py requires the Author to write all the scripting code needed to do anything/everything. From displaying character dialogue and images on the screen, to showing menus and the conditional statements needed to control the flow of the game.
    eg. it's a programming environment, so you need to learn how to write code to create a project.

• RPGM projects are built using an GUI application, where the Author uses a mouse to selects options to do most things. And now-and-then they need to manually type things like identifiers, character dialogue, and numbers.
    eg. it's an interactive environment, so you don't really need to know how to write code.
And some people prefer an interactive environment over having to write code.

But if you really want to know how hard it is to build a Ren'Py project why don't you create one!
I was here for the changelog but i always had that question in my mind too. Thank you for the clear explanation

StevetheSucculent

Feb 19, 2022
Is anyone else experiencing a glitch in v4.4.4 where after a certain number of days in Silverfield they cant sleep anymore to progress the story? Or is it just me? I've reach the "Lone Wolf" quest where I need to sneak into the mansion in the slums (by hiding in the A1 room) but when I try to sleep it takes away hunger but doesn't actually let me sleep even if I eat to fill the hunger bar.

wildride69

Jan 5, 2023
Is anyone else experiencing a glitch in v4.4.4 where after a certain number of days in Silverfield they cant sleep anymore to progress the story? Or is it just me? I've reach the "Lone Wolf" quest where I need to sneak into the mansion in the slums (by hiding in the A1 room) but when I try to sleep it takes away hunger but doesn't actually let me sleep even if I eat to fill the hunger bar.
Version v4.5.0 fixes a huge number of bugs. I would download it and copy your saves over and see if it fixes the issue.

3.20 star(s) 47 Votes