Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
So I look in last night and I look in this morning, page after page of complaints regarding when updates release. Y'all going for 10K pages on the same topic now? *rolls his eyes*

I will say this update has taken too long but that more to with the PC issues L&P told us about.

nexer

Forum Fanatic
Feb 5, 2019
I don't think he does that, because that would mean he doesn't have a clear enough idea of what needs to be done or that he doesn't have enough technical skills to set up a scene.

There was one important addition that sparked some debate (it's not something that ever bothered me :cool:), but he's not going to have fun rendering to just say to himself 'I made 1400 renderings to keep only 800' .

Even though he doesn't write much on this feed, he does read the posts (when he sees my name he goes to the next message :p) And I think that would have already made him react on his side, not to make this mistake.

It can happen to him to redo the same rendering several times because there is something to adjust or that does not match the narration. That seems logical (he has already explained that)
What I saw in the video published by L&P, is that he creates -- one.duf file for each render and X.duf files with the whole event -- before rendering the whole event. The process seems logical to me and gives the possibility of small/big changes.

Jun 28, 2020
I'll never get tired of the hype prior to a release and the disappointment/criticisms that's going to flood here a few minutes after the release. hahahahah. It's always fun to watch.
I didn't like the last update, but the one before last was great and super hot with a lot of interactions

abram1

May 24, 2020
For the record, I'm here and I'm not "unhappy with the development cycle" of AWAM. I don't have a problem with it. Mostly, that's because I have a life apart from AWAM, and I am content to let L&P work his magic as he sees fit. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the opportunity to voice that opinion. But, I think the constant drone coming from those who think they have the correct solution to a problem that only exists in their own minds (apparently L&P is happy in his work style and progress) is very taxing and disheartening and is something that should be checked at the door. L&P is quite content in his way of presenting a well-polished product to us and should be left to his own devices to do so. I know I probably angered a lot of people who are still discontent with the progress of the game. So let me offer my favorite Patrick Swayze quote from 'Roadhouse': "There's always Barber College." :) JMHO
You've nailed it. It's gonna be tough to articulate my thoughts better than this.

I'm quite surprised one of the main themes of this thread still revolves around the "development issues" and tips on how to ease the unbearable burden of the dev. I simply don't see any chance at this point that L&P somehow pinpoints and hires anyone, who would suit his tastes and criterias. He's satisfied with his workflow and cashflow, that's what matters.

You're absolutely correct mentioning so-called problems and the ways of solving them from the locals. How fun.
Now we'll have 0.130 with twice the quantity of renders, as it used to be planned previously. What a nightmare. Apparently, an update can't be longer than 100-150 renders. Or less. And we gonna have to go back to 720p image quality, preferably to 360p but that, perhaps, is slightly too much.

I vividly recall complaints and whinings here about low resolution of the images, that 720p was unacceptable and when he finally bumped up the quality without upscaling it later, what do I read? You, guys, gonna have to come to some decision. That's the tip of the iceberg.

He's been making AWAM for years now. Is he deliberately dragging the process aka "milking his patrons"? No, but there's no limit to perfection and that's the dark side of the Moon.
Guess, his motto is "Can't stop, won't stop!" once he starts working on each and every update and when it bloats to gigantic proportions, well, it's a side effect of his artistic nature.

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
He's been making AWAM for years now. Is he deliberately dragging the process aka "milking his patrons"? No, but there's no limit to perfection and that's the dark side of the Moon.
I have to agree, there's no evidence of a conscious effort to slow things down for the sake of making more money. That's not fair to L&P - the product is amazing and the care and quest for increasing excellence pays off every time (more or less).
Guess, his motto is "Can't stop, won't stop!" once he starts working on each and every update and when it bloats to gigantic proportions, well, it's a side effect of his artistic nature.
I don't think it's right to cast such aspersions on an artistic nature, the compulsivity and drive and need for exceptionalism is found in many different fields and pursuits (Elon Musk, pretty much any elite athlete).

Reactions: Cold brew

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
Not just perfectionism, but a complete and utter unwillingness to work with others. I've posted previously about how other devs have posted the assets they use for their games, so it's completely unreasonable to believe that everyone else is untrustworthy, or "strangers", as L&P says is the reason he won't work with others.
Agree, I think L&P should just come clean on this point: they do not want to recruit help and have no intention of doing so. Like so many have said before, it's L&P's project and they have complete discretion over its development and content. Which is as it should be. It's the lame excuses - and by lame I don't mean to discredit the decision to not acquire help - which are contradicted by so many collaborative projects found here and throughout the start-up world. Just say it clearly and stop flailing about.

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
What I saw in the video published by L&P, is that he creates -- one.duf file for each render and X.duf files with the whole event -- before rendering the whole event. The process seems logical to me and gives the possibility of small/big changes.
Is there a sharable link to the video or is it a Patreon exclusive?
Thx

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
Apparently, an update can't be longer than 100-150 renders. Or less. And we gonna have to go back to 720p image quality, preferably to 360p but that, perhaps, is slightly too much.
Stop being ridiculous, literally no one wants what you're suggesting; particularly about the renders. 500 renders for a 30 minutes update is a ton of renders, we would celebrate that amount of effort. The problem is that he did 800 for the same amount of gameplay. That's a backbreaking amount of work. I won't call them "redundant" because thats too dismissive of his efforts, but it's simply an unnecessary amount of work. He's killing himself and delaying the game while committing the crime of diminishing returns.

And this game was GORGEOUS in 720p, did your eyes bleed while looking at it? I was a patron when the decision was made to go to 1080. I sent emails and left comments that I didn't think it was worth the effort if it slowed development. The difference between the two is noticable, but it's minor. He's a great artist, I had no complaints at 720, so for the sake of consistency I wanted to be clear on this topic.

But to the point, yes it is exhausting to be so negative. I hate it. I've voiced my issues to death at this point, I can't keep doing it. I also want to like the next update and I want to give it an honest/fair chance. If I keep being negative I fear that I'll bias myself and never be able to enjoy it. I hope it blows me away and makes me think the wait was worth it.

3.20 star(s) 461 Votes