GreenDark

Jul 25, 2018
Let's focus on what's positive instead, ok? We all want the Dev to feel encouraged to continue, right?

If anyone has suggestions of how to fix, put them on, instead of just pointing to them accusingly...
We can do both. Criticism is necessary for improvement. Praising what's done well is helpful to keep motivation, focus and direction.
And having a solution to the problem is not necessary for criticism. Pointing it out is enough, just like with praise.

FatGiant

Engaged Member
Jan 7, 2022
We can do both. Criticism is necessary for improvement. Praising what's done well is helpful to keep motivation, focus and direction.
And having a solution to the problem is not necessary for criticism. Pointing it out is enough, just like with praise.
I understand what you say. I do.

BUT,

Put yourself on the place of a new Dev. That obviously invested time and money on this. They know it isn't perfect. Yet, if all they're met with is criticism, however warranted, they're more prone to give up or to be disheartened. If instead they're met with warranted praise and respectful and moderate criticism ( or even help) how do you think they'll feel? Remember that for some Dev's this is a really stressful time where all emotions are heightened.

As I have already said sometimes: If I have to err on something, I prefer to err on kindness.

I am no one to dictate anything. Do as you please. Let it be on your conscience. Mine is clear.

Peace :)

Reactions: damnedfrog

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
I understand what you say. I do.

BUT,

Put yourself on the place of a new Dev. That obviously invested time and money on this. They know it isn't perfect. Yet, if all they're met with is criticism, however warranted, they're more prone to give up or to be disheartened. If instead they're met with warranted praise and respectful and moderate criticism ( or even help) how do you think they'll feel? Remember that for some Dev's this is a really stressful time where all emotions are heightened.

As I have already said sometimes: If I have to err on something, I prefer to err on kindness.

I am no one to dictate anything. Do as you please. Let it be on your conscience. Mine is clear.

Peace :)
And remember that such a low quality of renders in 2024 is off-putting to a lot of people

HanakoXVN

Dev | Actual Roommates
Game Developer
Aug 25, 2020
First of all, thank you everyone for the positivity! I'm genuinely moved.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks for pointing those out, will fix!

Noted. Yes the idea was to give the players who don't like Emily a way to skip her stuff, but I could've indicated it better.
Putting top/bot points in the shower scene was a dumb idea to begin with tbh.

I'll try to do better on that regard. If you see more clipping in chapter 2 please yell at me.

HanakoXVN

Dev | Actual Roommates
Game Developer
Aug 25, 2020
Are the renders in the first chapter final?
The quality isn't really good.

There is a lot of over-exposition, it's grainy, there are no object shadows, and from time to time, some objects are missing.

When Sarah is introduced, the flowers near the sofa and the beam on the ceiling blink in and out of existence.

Also, there is something wrong with their eyes, it feels like they have been sewn in their socket.

Most of those that you pointed out were the first ones I made. It's not an excuse, in fact I should go back and remake them when I have time.

For the lighting, believe it or not some scenes being almost over-exposed was intentional... and even my friends who played it before release told me it was bad, but I didn't listen to them when I probably should've.

Though the eyes problem is something I'm still struggling with. I don't like them, they drive me mad, some times are fine, some times Sarah looks like a drug addict.

lnomsim

Sep 12, 2021
Most of those that you pointed out were the first ones I made. It's not an excuse, in fact I should go back and remake them when I have time.

For the lighting, believe it or not some scenes being almost over-exposed was intentional... and even my friends who played it before release told me it was bad, but I didn't listen to them when I probably should've.

Though the eyes problem is something I'm still struggling with. I don't like them, they drive me mad, some times are fine, some times Sarah looks like a drug addict.
Yeah, finishing the game, I realised the renders get better over time. Still a little too much exposition from time to time, but over all, better.

Good luck for the continuation of your project.
(y)

GreenDark

Jul 25, 2018
I just finished reading all of this and I can't believe how good it is.

The writing is actually good...
The characters' personalities are well portrayed through dialogue and their actions instead of narration or just straight up botched. That's such a basic part of writing but I can't count how many VNs get this horribly wrong. And here you are, giving me solid characters I'm already invested in despite how short this first release is. I guess this is the difference having a complete vision for your characters makes.
So far, we have 3 solidly written characters with full personalities and stories brimming with potential (Violet, Emily and Sarah). Almost 4, considering how much of a blast of character we got from Rikako in her very short appearance. Alex is still thin but considering the work you put in with the others, I have faith you'll flesh her out nicely in the future.

I'm not very attentive when it comes to visual details but, outside of the most obvious problems which were already pointed out, I wasn't too bothered by them. Some faces looked a bit robotic due to lack of expression and the eyes at times. And obviously the exposure...

I have to say, it's rare that I leave the sound on for VNs. I usually find it manipulative and grating. I don't know if I'm biased because of your delightful writing or if you actually picked music that fits the situations. I think you probably have a good understanding of the tone of your scenes.

Anyway, just continue writing! Please!

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Finally.

After playing it and every single lesbian centric on the site it's finally great to have another good one.

The number of lesbian themed games is already low but the quality recently has been lacking so finding one with good characters and good writing is like finding a modern movie that doesn't make me want to stop the world and get off.

Also bonus points for the kitty ...... and the girl dressed as a kitty.

AusfallvonMir

Jul 12, 2019
My first post since I joined however many ages ago, but considering the devname, logo, and content, my curiosity has been piqued and I thus have to ask: does the devname -- and more notably, the silhouette for the dev logo -- come from Hanako Ikezawa and her sprite art?

Regardless, good luck. The game seems interesting

4.80 star(s) 14 Votes