Tool Ren'Py Alternative/ Second save location for RenPy 7.7.1 / 8.2.1 SDK in Android Ports

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
At this point you should be using a 7.5.x released version, not some random nightly from a year ago.
Aggreed we should use the latest we can.
I still have games like Sweet Affection that will not run under newer RenPy versions.
Sooo until game devs catch up(some are trying and failing) we still need to keep this around.

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
does this support the multipersistent files and allow then work with Android?

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hi all, I have made a package that will enable alternative or second saves in Android ports done on RenPy, currently 7.6.0 and 8.1.0

Based in part on the work done by Naidin and second save mod by DarkAssassin

Recommended Install RenPy 8.1.0/7.6.0/7.5.0.242n pre packaged below.
Bare files are provided as well including optional build naming. If you want to keep track of APK versions this is the easiest way.
- best to apply them before starting RenPy.

Optionally open all the .py and .rpy files and replace "RenPy_Saves" with a folder name of your choice(i.e. Wills747 ;) )
Hope this all makes sense.

By default saves will be in "Documents/RenPy_Saves/"
Also creates "Documents/RenPy_Saves/game" folder. This is now the default search path and mods or update files can be added there in the device.

RenPy 8.1.0/7.6.0 Release
Added back in default saves location (thanks estrada777 )
Added function to copy file (GL2_on.rpy) from documents folder(if exists) to game folder pre load. (useful for PowerVR devices, may break videos on others)
(Attached exmple file)
Added autocopy android.keystore/bundle.keystore from rapt to game's project folder(if it doesn't exist in project folder already)
log.txt will now show:
Alternative_Saves_Android_Port
Manufacturer/ Model (standard)
Android Version
Device Architecture
Maybe a few other things I've forgotten.

RenPy 8.0.3/7.5.3 Release
Updated 3/12/22 - Version compatability for Android 5 - 13

RenPy 7.5.0.242n Nightly
Yes it's older but relatively bug free
Backport Android clean and tmp file cleanup.
RenPy changes listed in github, notably some games not going full screen either on start or after task switch.

Current:
RenPy 8.1.0
Includes rapt and ready to go.

RenPy 8.1.0 Bare Files Pack.

RenPy 7.6.0 Includes rapt and ready to go.

RenPy 7.6.0 Bare files pack.

Older Files:

RenPy 7.5.0.242n (Nightly) install Incl rapt with Single Alternative Save ready to go:

Bare files needed for 7.5.0.242n and optional build output naming:

(Some older versions back to 7.4.5 are available on request but typically won't be supported)
Updated Alternative Saves to RenPy 8.1.0/7.6.0

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
imagem_2023-06-19_151700554.png
Ren'py got a minor update that fixes, among other things, the video playback issues.

Do you think the current version of this tool is still compatible?

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
View attachment 2708725
Ren'py got a minor update that fixes, among other things, the video playback issues.

Do you think the current version of this tool is still compatible?
Chances are yes but I'll have to look into it. Was going to this last weekend but I had several other things come up.
If you use the official update method in app it will overwrite my changed files, I'll get something up over the next few days.

Reactions: doujin1

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
Chances are yes but I'll have to look into it. Was going to this last weekend but I had several other things come up.
If you use the official update method in app it will overwrite my changed files, I'll get something up over the next few days.
No worries, take your time.
You're doing God's work.