Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
It's really not that much harder than it'd be if all options were to be available. In fact, in game dev most bugs come from variable acting unexpectedly, thus, having variables turned off can help alleviate the amount of unexpected behavior. The real challenge comes from the writing point of view, as it can be difficult to keep track of different paths the story may take if one isn't diligent. Even if it did become an issue on the programming, which it may well be as neither you and I know nothing of the coding process, I find holding more ambition in contempt for the amount of work it will lead to be... an odd stance to take. This point would hold more weight if the devs didn't update the game frequently, as it stands, the multiple paths don't seem to detriment development.
I do know about coding, I've been using the code as my walkthrough and even fixed my critical bug manually. In general this isn't accurate. Having a variable not set/off generally leads to at least as many bugs as having them on. There's also far more choices being tracked there than you probably think. Which is nice for flavor, but less fun for needless lock-outs.

And I'd definitely argue it slowed development. This game seems 4-5 years in the making with indeed consistent updates. Yet every character is still in early-mid stages at best, with some barely started. It's not like there's a giant roster either. This really doesn't add up with this idea that this is some short easy to navigate game with only a few choices and unimpeded development.

Here you're repeating your point where you stubbornly refuse to consider that there might be narrative and thematic reasons behind the Jacklyn, Flora mutually exclusive content without arguing against any of our points. You present subjective opinions as objective facts and that isn't a good way to debate.

I feel that would cheapen the moment and Flora's overarching plot of losing the ones you love. But, I can see something like that working for that particular scene. The next choice in Suitable Romance would be harder to find a way around, as there Flora's problem is with the MC even going on a date, and odds are all later choices may have higher stakes and feel less arbitrary. That's the reason why I argue to wait and see with Maxine/Lindsey, the devs already showed the choices having rising importance, even if the first options seem rather small.
Not at all, acknowledging it simply doesn't invalidate the argument. Flora's objections are not to MC dicking her spiritual opposite. So foil or not, the "sacrifice" is already short-lived and superficial given other relationships. Otherwise, how does MC being able to bend Isabelle over the piano the next morning for her daily creampie not "cheapen the moment"? That is far worse than allowing MC to have a spontaneous one night "mistake" with Jacklyn days later.

And if you're arguing Suitable Romance would be harder to workaround, which remains to be seen, then shouldn't that be where the choice occurs? Cause atm, you sacrifice jacklyn's two best vanilla scenes (one in the classroom) under the guise that MC should avoid cheating on someone he's already cheating on. Not all that subjective to point out that's not sensible.

I can see reasons. You can say that the MC doesn't trust Maxine unless he does her route, you can say that the MC finds helping Lindsey to be a matter requiring all his own efforts in saving her, a focal point in her story, you can just say that the MC plainly didn't have time to do both as he's working in bettering himself and dealing with Kate/Isabelle, the game says that the MC doesn't take Maxine's words seriously if you don't choose her and a million more. The same way you don't see a reason behind a design choice, I can see several. Besides, the MC later on does follow up on Maxine's lead if you go the Lindsey's route, so it's not like the devs didn't have this in mind.
Hard to follow your reasoning here. MC obviously entertains Maxine crackpottery plenty in other quests. And the idea that MC doesn't have time is not supported by the fact that there is no narrative time crunch imposed. Nor is fetching water time consuming. The fact that one needs to resort to such poor rationalizations instead of being presented with an organic reason is already textbook artificial gating. This is not an issue you run into with Kate and Isabelle.

Why? In that moment it didn't seem that serious. After it escalates, MC goes to Maxine like you say.
Cause he's still interested in solving it? If I'm trying to open a locked door and have two keys that might fit on me, why would I only try one before walking away? Expected human behavior would obviously be try both unless I have a good reason not to.

A lot of people in here really bash this game's every attempt at trying to be engaging. Minigames are useless, exploration and puzzles are dumb and impossible, multiple playthroughs are a waste of time. It's no wonder WEGs have a bad rep if its players seem to despise when they try to be more than just sex scenes collectathons.
This seems like a rather hyperbolic response to the feedback, don't you think? I'm fine with a slow build up, minigames, exploration. I'm even fine with big choices like Kate. I'm merely criticizing the implementation of a few irrationally punitive choices. The ones that needlessly reduce playthrough content to artificially increase replayability.

Last edited:
3.80 star(s) 168 Votes