Ren'Py - Another Chance [v1.43] [TimeWizardStudios]

1. 1.00 star(s)

devilman432

Only the art is good but the rest meh. It is WAY to much clicking even for a sandbox and the fact that the ingame guide sucks it just makes me so confused. The gallery is a joke with the fact that it puts in every special scene even if it is just talking to someone. A gallery is for sex scenes only.
    And a warning to anyone reading this the game contains pegging.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

smog01

the game is okay but i hardly see any sex or romantic involvement.

too many quests to keep track off and i got stuck in the classroom, with a missing item so i just gave up-

I interact with the characters, but it does not feel rewarding and i don't see any progress being made.

The tags are a bit misleading
    I dont know how or why other players like this game but i find it a bit boring. Tehe art style is good but in terms of gameplay, i dont find it really interesting at all.

I tried to see what the other chapters were like but had to type in some text i did not know so gave up too. I would not recommend this game really.

If there really is supposed to be some sexual stuff involved, sorry but i don't see or cannot find any. To those that have been able to progress and find some, good for you but I have not.

Sorry.
  3. 4.00 star(s)

GabrielAngelos

v1.23 or so

It's a cute game about turning your life around. In terms of art it's quite solid. The dialogue is decent and at times even amusing, which is high praise for a game in this genre.

Especially liked Flora and Bri'ish girl, they're best girls. They appear to have slightly different interactions based on your love/lust points, but I only played the lovey-dovey route with them, so not entirely sure to what extent this is true. Still, what I saw in terms of romance was quite cute and I'd like to see more of both characters. Flora's banter, for one, is top-notch. Taking care of her blindfolded self was probably the highlight of that character arc.

Which reminds me: the pacing is a bit strange. It's not exactly slow-burn and I wish there was some more padding to flesh out each relationship. In addition, certain character arcs are not self-contained, so for instance, I had to date the arts teacher first in order to be able to progress with Flora. A little inconvenient since you can't seem to focus exclusively on the characters you're interested in this way.

The "puzzles" are, well, such as they are. Do yourselves a favour and keep your quest compass on.

One last thing regarding incest, and this is by no means a major issue to me, but the devs appear bent on having their cake and eating it, too. Granted, I might have misread something, but Flora and her mom aren't your relatives. It's fine to make the game palatable for Patreon and the like, but then the this-is-so-wrong moments with Flora stop making sense altogether.

Enough nitpicking. Thank you for the feelings. Looking forward to the finished product.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

_Rylai_

First and maybe only review i'll make, but felt it deserved.
    I'm following this game since the beginning.
    Amazing art, funny lines, great characters.
    Just can't wait for more explicit content and to see the endings.
    Thanks for your work.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

ldacombat123

Although there are mixed opinions about the game, but in my opinion, this is a game worth experiencing at least once.
    1) First, the actual game size is very light (at the latest version v1.21 the total capacity is only 260 MB)
    2) The game has nice 2D graphics (at least in my opinion) and doesn't require a high-end computer to play - you can use an ancient computer with win 7 still running good
    3) The game plot is simple but still has its own "complexity", the plot direction changes based on your choices. This makes the game worth exploring the plot in subsequent replays.
    4) The gameplay is simple and fast, even if you forget what you are doing, there will be instructions+arrows and icons to help you follow the mission objective. Also you can directly play the latest content via the game menu through several plot oriented options instead of playing from the beginning (you can of course also choose which chapter to start with)

However, even though I really want to, I can only give the game 4 * because of the following minus:
    1)The actual characters are all rendered over and over at fixed points with fixed actions. Except for the characters related to the quest you are doing, all the other characters appear and do the same actions every day.
    2) The game's H-scenes seem to lack the investment - many scenes are so simple that it's like the main character does a single action with the heroine standing still (or some scenes don't even have any animations). Of course, if you come here to "fap", it is still possible, but for those of you who require beautiful and suitable scenes, it is very difficult.
    3)The game's library of H-scenes is very small and doesn't have separate sections for the characters - which means that after watching a scene you will have to exit and go back to the beginning to continue watching another scene.
  6. 2.00 star(s)

Uncommon Sense

Way too much stalling, grinding and lollygagging going on to enjoy this game. Certainly not enough sexual content compared to what you have to deal with. The art his it's own highlight but after that the milking and grinding isn't worth it.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Roguety

While 5/5 is reserved for games that are very good, this game has it's flaws. However, those flaws mostly are just the game not being a finished product. You have a dating sim, which obviously means you have to build relationships to get your h-scenes, and so there are very limited h-scenes at the moment, since so much of this game's focus has been on the beginning and middle of every girls relationship. With that being said, the h-scenes that are in the game are good quality.

Speaking of quality, there is a lot of it in this game. The characters and the art style of his game far surpasses anything else I've seen from a dating sim. Seriously, I'm a very picky person and 95% of the time a good h-game just isn't for me because I can't get over the art. For example, summertime saga, don't like it.

Another good point in this game is variety. You're into this? It's in the game somewhere. You're into that? It's in the game somewhere. Not a fan of something? Skippable, or just go a different route so you're not getting dominated by women and pissed on or whatever the kinks going on at the moment are.

This game could end up being a 4/5 when it's a finished product in 1-2 years, but I believe it'll probably be a 5/5, and maybe that's a little bias from me since this game has better art than any other dating sim on this website.

Side note: Why does this game refuse to call your sister and mother what they are? Like you have incest, just go with it man. It's like you don't draw the line at any other fetish, but you act like your mother is more of a teacher than mother, and your sister is like a step-sister(?) even though she's not, but also maybe just a friend staying in the house(?) but you're character acknowledges it's wrong for them to do things with them? I gladly watched my sister/step sister/friend/enemy/mom-teacher's daugher (whatever she is) pour milk on her vagina.
  8. 3.00 star(s)

ajokka

This game is unique. But not necessarily in a good way.

The game starts in a weird way.. Sad, lonely MC wants to end it all, but suddenly travels back in time when he was a senior in high school. I loved this start because most H-games have little to no history behind the MC. He's given literally "Another Chance" where he probably screwed up the most, to repair his mistakes and save the relationships between him and the people he loves.

The art is genuinely amazing, a masterpiece if you would. Never in a H-game have I ever seen art so good.

But that's kind of where it ends with the good stuff.. The story is incredibly confusing, unless it's a quest with direct interaction between 2 characters, you never see them being friends or acknowledging each other. Take Jacklyn and Flora for example, a single time there's some sort of interaction between them and it's on a quest, afterwards there's simply nothing.
    Halfway through the already short game, only then do I realize Jo is the principal (I think?) of the high school. Speaking of, the high school feels dead. There's like 10 people in the entire school, 12 if you consider the janitor-lady and Maya, both of which I haven't seen/discovered yet. There are lockers, but no people to associate them with, except Isabelle's and your own. Then out of nowhere, while playing the piano for Isabelle, a crowd of people suddenly appears.
    Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to the story, but the quests just didn't make sense and weren't explained in any way. Randomly combining items in hope that it gets you the quest item is infuriating. Yeah you have 2 sticks but you have to combine them to get the "Two Sticks" item which is just 2 sticks. Doing so much work on quests, you expect 3 scenes at the end but all you get is a +1 love stat to the character. You get rewarded with a scene like 5 times throught the entire game.
    The characters make me sad, some in a good way, some in a bad way. Speaking to Lindsey, Isabelle or Flora makes you feel like an actual human. Genuine and caring, these 3 characters are what kept me from closing. However, there are awful, narcissistic or rather evil characters. Meeting Jo for the first time would make you think that she's a loving mother figure for the MC, and would help him in anyway she could. Well not exactly, she's very very cold and uncaring. And then there's Kate. Can't say much, as I couldn't bring myself to be an asshole, and make others feel horrible for the sake of being harassed by a whore and her goons. I fucking hated this character from the beginning. I had hoped she would have a redemption arc or at least apologize to the people she's hurt, but no, it only gets worse.
    The game forcing you to pick between characters and locking away scenes is awful design. Why do I have to ruin lives and morale just to get a scene that looks like rape?
    The game really looks good on paper, but it's so unsatisfying in the end that at this moment (v.1.19) it's simply not worth playing. Not enough wholesome scenes, too many "be an awful human being" scenes.
  9. 3.00 star(s)

William876

Great art, somewhat good story telling, an ok questing system and overall a decent game. You know you're "finished" the game when you no longer have "unstarted quests". Unfortunately, to complete the gallery you have to play through several times. For a game netting ~$7,000 on Patreon, it could be a lot better - only time will tell.
  10. 1.00 star(s)

no_email?ok!nevermind

The amount of grind this game requires in the form of time is unbearable. Several hours of gameplay need to happen before we get any form of sexual content. This wouldn't be a problem if walkthroughs were updated to the latest releases, but they aren't. So, making the wrong decision or omitting important items become a regular occurrence, which forces some players to backtrack and greatly lengthen the time needed to get somewhere. Please update walkthroughs regularly. Please add some optional form of indicator for key items and decisions that change the course of the story. Please add a note in the description of the expected duration of gameplay as I was personally not expecting to spend more than two hours of my time in this game. Thank You.
  11. 3.00 star(s)

trundlebundle

The art is pretty good, and there is some honestly funny writing, but it is massively bogged down by some old school Sierra style adventure game nonsense. By the end of current content, I had a more than 50 items in my inventory, and some of the item combinations you need to complete quests are esoteric as hell. The built in guide works well for the most part, but it's almost required at points because of how the game is designed. Going through this wouldn't be so bad if the payoff was worth it, but the game has very little in the way of erotic content.

If you go into it with the understanding that you're probably not going to get much of a fap out of it, it's decently written, so 3 stars for me.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Moussedo

For me it's a 5/5. This game have beautifuls arts, incredible characters (Kate is my favorite. I love to follow her orders and yes I'm clearly falling for a 2D girl) and there's so much differents ways to go in this game. When there is so much differents endings in a game, I can surely said that it's a 5/5 game.
  13. 2.00 star(s)

Ogre_Sama

Do you like the King's Quest series of games? Do you like randomly clicking shit for what feels like forever, trying to figure out inane quests that seemingly have no point to them? Do you like frustratingly trying to combine items that don't seem to go together at all in the hopes of randomly coming across the right mix? Then you'll love Another Chance.

Seriously... Like, I like games that are more than just, "and here's this girl. And now you bang." but goddamn... The number of steps to finish these quests is insane. And trying to find half the stuff is just impossible. I was trying to find the sister's phone in the bathroom for what felt like forever. Never did figure it out. I've been trying to find a fucking piece of paper for an hour so I can leave a note in a plant. I've gotten 3 sticks together to create an easel, even though there's several all around the school I could seemingly just use. No clue if 3 is enough. There's sugar just laying all over the place...

Just... I like the concept. I like the artwork. I like the general idea of the quests. But trying to follow the logic in some of them is just impossible. I'm sure, to the developers, all the quests make perfect sense. But to those of us that can't read their brain, it's a frustrating slog clicking buttons all around, trying to randomly hope to find the one thing you're finally looking for.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Hugo_GLz

Reviewed: v1.17

I remember reading a comment by the main dev, probably somewhere in this very thread, where he mentioned somewhere along the lines of being inspired by old school adventure games like Leisure Suit Larry and Monkey Island. I've honestly never played those type of games, but considering their reputation as basically puzzles, I can totally see the influence.

You have several general stats and love and lust stats for specific girls, which will determine what choices you can pick. You can upgrade some of them by finding items in the world, but mainly it will be determined by what choices you choose. Some choices are also only open based on a choice beforehand, meaning there are basically branching routes, but not in a specific sense. However, none of the routes or story itself seems mostly finished at its current state, although there is still a decent amount of content storywise. As a result of its pacing though, there aren't a lot of lewd scenes as one might expect. The gameplay loop involves moving around the game's setting and interacting with the girls to start or do quests. You can "talk" and answer a few questions, but it's very barebones and basically unnecessary currently.

As you've probably already heard, the quests tend to be really grindy. They almost all involve having to grab some items somewhere in the world, combining them with another item, sometimes multiple times, and then interacting with an object in a room. Almost every interactable has two options, "inspect" or "interact", even doors so you'll have to tediously have to click on "interact" everytime. Inspect may be useful, but for us coomers the quests tend to be puzzling or convoluted like you're playing a hardcore point and click adventure game from the 90s. I'd say using "inspect" is pretty much useless because the hint system will carry you through almost 100% of the time. It almost always helps but there are a few times in which it's not specific enough, such as assuming you already have an item when it should have told you where to get it. Even then, the quest itself may feel too long than it should be.

Despite those flaws, I still really like Another Chance. In my opinion, its strengths are too great to stop me playing and keeping tabs on its development. I love the unique art style and the design of the girls, appreciating each one of them. I think the scene CGs that the game currently has are great, although I wish the sex scenes were properly animated instead of fading between two or three frames. What I do think is really top notch though is the writing.

The writing feels well written and natural, well for a lewd game at least. Although the quests are tedious, I otherwise like the pacing of the writing. They may be point A to point B, but it's not like next thing you know a girl is automatically on your dick. It has enough build up that feels rewarding when you finally get into the sex scenes. This is especially if you made the right choices or leveled up your stats beforehand, which add a bit of replaybility since you can basically branch out. The writing can be very funny but also be surprisingly deep. When doing quests for one girl, I'm actually getting my heart-strings pulled, but sometimes just laughing my ass off.

One more thing I'll say is that the current rate of updates is one quest a month, which is kind of slow. These quests may feel grindy, but they aren't that long either. To conclude, I think Another Chance as a game is unpolished and its aspects don't really feel validated. The devs have recognized this and have plans to improve it later, although at the current rate it'll probably take a long while til that starts. In my opinion though, it's still really worth trying out due to the excellent art and writing. I don't know any other game like it.
  15. 3.00 star(s)

pokemonnnnn

This game is like Taffy Tales if it were way less depraved. Lots of clicking and story-based tasks you have to accomplish, yet humerous.

Menus are polished and clean, character models/art are great. But it’s a whole lot of clicking for little sexual content. It’s actually stunning how little fappable content there is for how many updates/how long this game has been out.

Giving three stars for now cause the potential is there, but it needs a lot more content that will keep people cumming back
  16. 5.00 star(s)

Marcellogo

I find it adorable and about all very, very , very funny.
    It is well drawn, girls and women are just adorable, full of plots and subplots.
    Both the sex and romance route are also quite credible, ladies have their own character and perks, so everyone could choose their own waifu (or their best friend, with benefit obviously) .

Update:
    No,no, no, no, you cruel, merciless bastards, you cannot do such a horrible thing!No, no, Lyndsey NOOOO!!!!!

Ok! Ok! In the meantime I made my first review, things are going really, really dark there.
    The final quests of this first part of the story, both Stepping on the Rose than Dethroning the Queen are definitively shocking and quite disturbing in their sadism and what happened to Lindsey is something just unbearable to think about.
    I have said previously that one of the great merit of such a game is to really get to tick (and quite well, I must say) other boxes that the usual ones you expect from a sex game but I was referring to the Humor and Romance part, you know, something light and even relieving along the long road, with a spark of yistery added to made things get more quizzling...
    No, it was not a sort of mystery subplot to fuel the rest of a very funny story in a sort of Scooby doo release...
    We are instead projected ALL of a SUDDEN into a real Horror and a very painful one given that they are hurting fully developed personages (and above all the most innocent, positive and adorable one between all of them...you rotten sadists!) you have spent hours to built an affective relation with...
    And worst of all it is not vampires and ghosts: it is a Lovecraftian one (Chtulu poster was not there by accident) in which you get only small glimpses over unspeakable horrors buried under locked doors (how many we have still not opened until now?) and no one around you is really what you thought he/she is.
    Spiders, spiders on the wall...
  17. 2.00 star(s)

DarkLoki

I love everything about this game as others have written. Art, characters, story, everything. EXCEPT way too much "game" and not nearly enough " fap". You can play for hours and the most you will see are girls in their panties. Will keep it on my "watch" list but only because I hope the dev reads all these similar reviews. Could be one of the best games here if there were more h content
  18. 1.00 star(s)

RancerSama

I am going to be very short in my explanation of why a star.
    Basically they want us to believe that this is an erotic visual novel but the only good thing is the art and if that can attract you but don't be fooled to get to see something erotic they will have to spend hours in this click simulator giving clicks like crazy to the map and how not talking 1000000 times with the characters to earn a measly point... meh mega boring and tedious.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

ZARDOZ7

this game is great, with only round 330 MB, has more content as games with like 1000000000000 GB,
    and the content is really good,
    possibilities, with wide array of kinks, and great text and wicked, but smart fun,
    yes, you need first a little time to understand,
    how is this game working,
    but then you cant stop to play,

warning - this game is not safe space
  20. 3.00 star(s)

edod5

Despite the stars I gave this game, I kinda enjoyed it... as a pg13 game.

What's good are the art, the attention to detail, the fact that apart from the two older females the rest have realistic sizes, and the hint system which was the reason this game can be somewhat enjoyable (and playable), etc.

But what's bad... that's really bad.
    First of all, the idea of discovering quests and then doing them for possible rewards are good. But in this game, there are two issues with these quests.
    The first is that they can become annoying, dumb, and almost offensive (when you have to destroy a whole ecosystem just to kill that beaver... really?).
    In general, you have to go around the whole map, clicking on this and that to complete the goal and then you are done. Which isn't a problem.
    The problem is that after spending your precious time on doing the quest and pleasing the girls, what do you get? Something naughty? No! You only get some stat points. Yay...
    And this is the second main problem with the quests. Apart from a couple, there is basically no reward and since the game is based on the idea of doing these quests, the game has no reward.
    This is supposed to be an adult game, with at least erotic stuff, but if you don't turn on the x-ray, or hover over the girls when you talk with them, this game just becomes a pg13 game.

I can count on my hands how many "good" scenes were in the game, and if you compare that to the amount of content and opportunities that the game offers, it begs the question "does it worth it?". Not just from the point of the player, but from the point of the dev too.

This game in its current state is skippable.
    The only reason why I still give "this many stars" is because of the potential it can have. But to reach that potential the dev should either focus on making it into a proper adult game, with meaningful and rewarding quests, or drop the not that present adult content and turn it into a fun little game for kids.