Ren'Py Any way to get early version of RenPy game for educational purposes?

Enough

Oct 11, 2018
Hey guys, I recently started to work at my own game, already have well designed story with scenario for many hours of gameplay. But I am still learning python and many things are not super clear for me, so maybe there is a way to get some sort of early version of game, where some mechanics are already implemented - especially that I am still not sure about how much gameplay mechanics are needed (like do I really need system of calendar in-game, if I can just follow up with some easy to do flags and just inform player which day it is just according to the story).

I know that it may seems that I just want base system and just use it, but I am not in rush for anything and I am not thinking about just make game asap, because I have also in mind that learning python may be great for my own development.

I tried to catch some early version of games which i liked (like cure my addiction or headmaster) but their code is mostly encrypted.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Encrypted? RenPy? :unsure:
Are you sure that you extracted rpa archives and decompiled rpyc files or are you just looking at what there is inside the game folder after extracting a downloaded game archive file?
In case you don't know what I'm talking about just look at the UnRen threads in the tools & tutorials section. There are both Windows and NIX (Mac and Linux) versions available in separate threads there.

-KC-

got land?
Modder
Donor
Compressor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2019
Most compressed games have decompiled .rpy files.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
If I'm interpreting your request properly, you're looking for how to look at the code for other games, so you can try to learn how to implement things yourself.

That wouldn't require an earlier version of RenPy (which is just the framework RenPy games are written on).

I will also point out that a lot of games are badly written, or were written at a time before more modern solutions were implemented.

Okay...

RenPy games aren't encrypted as such... Some are compressed. All are interpreted.

RenPy source code is stored in .RPY files.
RenPy creates an interpreted/compiled version of the source code and stores that in .RPYC files. (This is the actual game).
Compressed games are stored in .RPA archive files.

Each time a game is run, it looks for the latest version of the .RPYC files.
Those could be in the /game/ folder... or they could be stored in an .RPA archive. Generally speaking all files are unique... but when they aren't, it'll use the "newest" version - wherever that might be.
If there is a "newer" .RPY than it's .RPYC equivalent... RenPy will recompile a new .RPYC file based on the new .RPY file. Since that will now be the latest version, it will supersede any other version (for example, stored in an archive).

I'm explaining all that so you know where to look at the code.

A lot of games aren't compressed at all. Those will usually come with both .RPY and .RPYC files.

Games shipped with .RPA archives, can be unpacked using a tool here called Unren.
At time of writing: Grab the development version (0.9), as the latest versions of RenPy don't work with 0.8.

That tool will let you uncompress any .RPA archives within a game.
The archive will contain the .RPYC files and will *probably* contain the .RPY sources file too.

If the game is missing the .RPY source files... then UnRen has a second use... which is to recreate the .RPY file based on the .RPYC data. Essentially an "uncompile".

In the end... you'll have the source .RPY files for whatever game you're wanting to look at.

If the similarity of the filename extensions is making that a little difficult to follow... think:
  • RPY - RenPy
  • RPYC - RenPy Compiled
  • RPA - RenPy Archive
I would highly suggest looking at relatively new SIMPLE game first. Forget your calendar and other stuff. You can sort that out after you've figured out the basics. Find two or three games... look at their source .RPY files and figure out how the easy stuff works. Again: A reminder that a lot of games are badly written.

After you've got your head around how RenPy does the easy stuff... THEN go looking for a game that does things similar to how you want to do it. Again, pick a couple - so you can figure out the good from the bad. Then figure out how they did it, so you can adapt it to whatever you want to do.

You've mentioned a calendar and flags.
Neither of these two posts are exactly what you're looking for... but each are posts I wrote for other people which overlap enough to make me think you might want to read them:
Your "flags" will likely be boolean variables (True/False)... but could be numbers or strings variables too.

I appreciate that trying to find earlier version of games might sound like a good idea. But honestly, most devs don't add features like calendars and stuff later in the development cycle. If they need it, it's there from day 1 and remains more or less unchanged by the final release.

I helped rewrite the first four chapters of Cuntswell Academy. It's not perfect, but it's a simple game with flags but no calendar. Consider it a suggestion for a "starter" game to look at.

Hope I'm answering the question you wanted to ask.

Last edited: