Anyone else tired of the same faces and sometimes even bodies on every 3D model?

HerbertIronsides

Oct 2, 2017
It seems like 90% of games the characters all have that same generic daz face and body. It is starting to get worse too with new 0.1 being posted daily that are just so bland to look at. Can't people be just a bit more creative with their character creation?

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
yup, it bothers me as much as seeing over and over all those hot actresses in various movies, yup, a biig hard bother.:KEK:
kidding aside, a bit of characters modding/tweaking is a good thing, yet not mandatory if the story is good enough.
though usually a good story goes with tweaked characters/assets, damn :unsure::BootyTime:

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
I know what you mean.
Variety is the spice of life.

Can't people be just a bit more creative with their character creation?
As a shameless plug, I'm trying to add different models that are outside the usual you find in games in my own development (link in sig). Please let me know your feedback, I'm hoping they're different enough from the usual, but please let me know if they feel samey.

Reactions: Volta

HerbertIronsides

Oct 2, 2017
I know what you mean.
Variety is the spice of life.

As a shameless plug, I'm trying to add different models that are outside the usual you find in games in my own development (link in sig). Please let me know your feedback, I'm hoping they're different enough from the usual, but please let me know if they feel samey.
looks nice definitely not just he cookie cutter models.

Reactions: probably_dave

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly not every model looks the same, you get like a family of different models that look the same. What I mean is, 300 ppl use one type of character, and another 300 use another type etc, they all change a few things and the end result is all 300 of them look related. Also no-one ever changes the head size, the ears, or even move the ears up or down. Nose is the same, ppl make it bigger, wider, but seldom move the whole thing higher or lower

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
It's all about effort the dev wants to put into creating the models. If they don't feel confident about creating one from scratch and would rather focus on the renders, story and coding, then I think that's fine, even if they leave them as they are after they purchased/downloaded them, as long as the rest of the game makes up for it. As somebody mentioned earlier, it's worse when people don't even put effort into story. Then you get the generic two room-sister-mates and land-mom-lady game, with models you've seen thousand times and at that point you are probably better off just downloading cg-rip.

Or you can have dev deciding to put a lot of effort into character creation, then you can't really expect good, non-generic looking models right away, because it takes a lot of practice. I know that well myself, because first XY models I made look pretty bad, with somewhat generic faces and no depth to them.

But in the end I think it's better to start working on the game with either not so great or just generic looking models, because the first game I feel is mostly about learning, not creating a masterpiece. And most of the games here are dev's first ones.

Point is, if it's dev's first game, don't judge it based on the models.

Laikhent

May 16, 2018
it's both for me same story same characters models. I assume its people using free assets only and not knowing how to make their own models.
The models you are talking about are Daz models (they are not free). There are not many ppl able to make models superior to them.

Luckily my memory for faces is bad, so it does not bother me at all.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
1. Good artists are good artists, 2D or 3D. It's either you have imagination or you don't.
2. A good game/story is not just about the art. It's about engagement, sexual tension building and pacing. The art is only part of the equation IMO.
3. Having said all that, if I see yet another dark skinned girl with a I swear I'm going to scream.

1610440594313.png

...or a spunky young sister with .

1610440738628.png

Last edited:

Haaraka

Nov 1, 2020
Doesn't bother me unless the characters look too similar and get confusing.

Most devs have to live with the sacrifice of samy faces since they don't have time to recreate models.

Kikurage

Oct 12, 2018
Bothers me too. It's like having to eat or drink the same thing over and over again.
It just proves how lazy some devs are and is a huge redflag for me. I would never throw money on their game.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
doesn't really bother me. I don't even click on those links, I just skip them without batting an eye.

unless I see stock mom. stock mom always gets love.

BurningSage

Oct 10, 2020
You see the same actors in all the same hollywood movies, too....yet that doesn't seem to be a problem for most people.

BurningSage

Oct 10, 2020
how is that even close to the same thing?
Because...you are complaining about seeing the same DAZ actors/figures all the time lol. Hollywood does the same thing, uses the same set of actors over and over again. I do get what you mean though, some developers don't even bother slightly modifying these characters and just use them straight out of the box. Even just tweaking the hair and changing their eye colors can make a difference.

HerbertIronsides

Oct 2, 2017
Because...you are complaining about seeing the same DAZ actors/figures all the time lol. Hollywood does the same thing, uses the same set of actors over and over again. I do get what you mean though, some developers don't even bother slightly modifying these characters and just use them straight out of the box. Even just tweaking the hair and changing their eye colors can make a difference.
hollywood actors are real people with skills, not an empty husk of code that can do or say whatever you want. Also you cant create people on a PC like you can daz models or other models. That comparison makes zero sense

BurningSage

Oct 10, 2020
hollywood actors are real people with skills, not an empty husk of code that can do or say whatever you want. Also you cant create people on a PC like you can daz models or other models. That comparison makes zero sense
But it does make sense, because VN games already take a ton of time to develop, and making characters from scratch would just add even more to that time. Don't believe me? Try making a character yourself on top of working on a VN and you will see the reason why so many of the same characters are used. ''Empty husk of code''? That makes no sense either, these characters are 3D models designed from the ground up by good artists...you think code designs them?