Anyone else tired of the same faces and sometimes even bodies on every 3D model?

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
You see the same actors in all the same hollywood movies, too....yet that doesn't seem to be a problem for most people.
I do agree that putting in some time to make your own characters, especially when it is possible because of the digital medium (actors can't be expected to get plastic surgery for every movie role), really helps to immerse yourself in the content. However, one thing that's different from film and visual novels is that acting and vocals are a thing. This means how an actor presents himself, how and what he says, all contribute to differentiating the character that actor plays in different movies. This is impossible in visual novels that don't utilize voice actors.

Last edited:

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
To the argument with actors, I think much better analogy would be making movies with dolls. Not everyone has time and/or skills to make really great ones, especially if their movie required a lot of them, so they would rather borrow dolls some professional craftsman made, than making ones that are not that great themselves. You couldn't really blame them for it and if the movie itself had original story, good screenplay and unique characters for the dolls, it might be worth watching, even though you've seen those dolls in hundred other movies.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
OP asking too much. Next time he'll ask to adjust the orange lighting to make scenes better. :WutFace:

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
Dunno much about 3D modeling or Daz, but don't the models have morph sliders that you can use to deform and tweak them? Things like making the boobs smaller or bigger, elongating or shortening the arms and legs... stuff like that. How difficult is it to tweak a professionally made model that was sculpted by someone else and sold on the Daz store?

And isn't it possible to change the color of the skin texture? Simple things like hue/saturation/etc.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
Dunno much about 3D modeling or Daz, but don't the models have morph sliders that you can use to deform and tweak them? Things like making the boobs smaller or bigger, elongating or shortening the arms and legs... stuff like that. How difficult is it to tweak a professionally made model that was sculpted by someone else and sold on the Daz store?

And isn't it possible to change the color of the skin texture? Simple things like hue/saturation/etc.
Possible, but it's too much work for some.

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
i mean theres only gonna be a certain amount of body types that can be fulfilled, unless you start to venture out of the standard spectrum of body type i.e going into obese, overweight or completely non vanilla i.e disabled with arms missing, leg missing, blind, deaf etc
however with faces i havent really seen a game where the faces are too similar but then again i havent played a crazy amount of vns

Donjoe81

Dec 30, 2022
It´s pretty hard to find games that don´t use the same old character models that you see in every other game, still. There is a shit ton of unique models out there that you could get for free, but you still see the same models that were used years ago and it´s a bit of a turn off.
Also, there´s this trend of models having weird proportions like tits or asses that are way too big for the body type.