balvenie1401

Dec 29, 2017
I can point to a few games that become excruciatingly dull and long because of the "sandbox" element that you have to slog through.
I still can't point to a single one that benefited from having it :/

There are a few (3 or 4 maybe) that are playable in spite of having it, but none that I know of that are better for having it..

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
Areas of Gray does have a hint system to let you know about upcoming events that are available, so it's not all guesswork. It forces you to bring up the menu overlay system, though.

Power Vacuum visually shows character profiles at the locations for their next available activity during any given time of day, plus has a list of tasks with completion status.

Apartment #69 could try combining similar notions, placing an indicator next to locations on the map when an interaction is possible.

I figure some players would prefer these hint systems instead of organizing outside of the game where to go next and when.
Has anyone ever tried a point and click adventure game style? Sort of like the old Leisure Suit Larry games.

Reactions: Duke Leo

Duke Leo

Jun 10, 2019
I still can't point to a single one that benefited from having it :/

There are a few (3 or 4 maybe) that are playable in spite of having it, but none that I know of that are better for having it..
I agree. Pretty much every time it feels as if the sandbox is there to extend the game time. There's no skill required just your time.

Even in the good games I often wonder why the creator didn't just write a narrative to get me to the next plot point instead of making me go through a week of game time to make enough money to buy a $150 box of chocolates.

Draon79

Oct 28, 2018
As much as the initial release bugged me with the sandbox i did like the renders and story that was there, the incomplete content was annoying though. The current tags check the boxes for me so waiting to see what Luxee comes out with for this next.

The best sandbox games i have played kept it to a minimum and focused more on the story (basically is was just a replacment for text choice on the order in which you could visit characters), having to grind money/items/stats or repeating scenes that only happen at certain times each day to progress get really boring quickly and take away a lot from the story aspect.

Based on PL I know they can really tell a story so I have high hopes for this.

Draon79

Oct 28, 2018
which one do you refer to?
My Real Desire, Wartribe has an event only/teleport option to its sandbox so you are not clicking everywhere and can just play the story, I am in heaven is another that uses it correctly with no grind but needs a WT at points and IIRC City of broken dreamers has sandbox elements as well but focuses on the story mainly.

Those are only a couple ones that i can remember currently, IMO adding a sandbox that has multiple times per day, stats, money, items and repeatable events is just filler to make up for lack of content and to milk the supporters. You can add an hours worth of grinding in game with the previously mentioned mechanics and only really add 4-5 real scenes to the 'game' and call it a monthly update which is my main issue with sandbox 'games' huge grind/time sync and almost no real payoff for the time sunk into playing them.

EDIT: Also add Being a DIK to the list that do it right.

Luxee

Deluded weirdo
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2017
The only reason I went with a sandbox instead of VN for this was because it allows me more freedom event-wise. In a PL like VN, I'd have to have Eve tell you to visit her tomorrow and then have 20 filler scenes to make the in game time progress enough to where it's tomorrow and you can finally visit Eve. Now I can just have a scene of Eve telling you that, and the next scene is you going to her tomorrow. This isn't necessarily a VN problem, just a "my kind of VN" problem.
I won't be adding any grind to this game whatsoever. There'll be random events and such in future versions and the TV in mc's apartment will have some cool interactions with it, but aside from that, the overworld won't serve much of a purpose.

Also event only mode sounds good, I might make that.

FormerlyknownasOlheden

Donor
May 20, 2020
The only reason I went with a sandbox instead of VN for this was because it allows me more freedom event-wise. In a PL like VN, I'd have to have Eve tell you to visit her tomorrow and then have 20 filler scenes to make the in game time progress enough to where it's tomorrow and you can finally visit Eve. Now I can just have a scene of Eve telling you that, and the next scene is you going to her tomorrow. This isn't necessarily a VN problem, just a "my kind of VN" problem.
I won't be adding any grind to this game whatsoever. There'll be random events and such in future versions and the TV in mc's apartment will have some cool interactions with it, but aside from that, the overworld won't serve much of a purpose.

Sounds good, although I’m not one of anti-sandbox brigade. More importantly: You’re back here again! Active on this thread! That means this is really happening and the onhold-tag Will be removed soon. I’m just so happy about that, almost getting the feels. Mind you, PL is possibly my fav game ever so I’m sad it’s over, but this game officially being worked on again is the best confirmed news in quite some time.

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020

Agree the on hold tag should probably be removed now.

Repuci

May 1, 2017
Version 0.02
02-September-2020
6/18 TASKS DONE
SCENE AMOUNT STILL UNDECIDED
Release estimate: coming 2020 probs

1. Draw new UI for character info page (cip) (done)
2. Dialogue for schools/college being the same (done)
3. Remake Tess' story (to do)
4. Play the game and rewrite these things (to do)
5. Re-render Eve(3) bedroom scene (done)
6. Re-render Eve(4) school scene (done)
7. Pick the amount of scenes to create (to do)
9. Remake Nea(4) scene (done)
10. Render character images for cip (to do)
11. Implement cip (to do)
12. Remake the map (to do)
13. Draw the character list for cip (to do)
14. Draw new UI buttons etc. (to do)
15. Link subscribestar (to do)
16. Re-render Eve(4) mchome and car scene (done)
17. Write up character info for cip (to do)
18. Remove old scene viewer idea (to do)

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
Version 0.02
02-September-2020
6/18 TASKS DONE
SCENE AMOUNT STILL UNDECIDED
Release estimate: coming 2020 probs

1. Draw new UI for character info page (cip) (done)
2. Dialogue for schools/college being the same (done)
3. Remake Tess' story (to do)
4. Play the game and rewrite these things (to do)
5. Re-render Eve(3) bedroom scene (done)
6. Re-render Eve(4) school scene (done)
7. Pick the amount of scenes to create (to do)
9. Remake Nea(4) scene (done)
10. Render character images for cip (to do)
11. Implement cip (to do)
12. Remake the map (to do)
13. Draw the character list for cip (to do)
14. Draw new UI buttons etc. (to do)
15. Link subscribestar (to do)
16. Re-render Eve(4) mchome and car scene (done)
17. Write up character info for cip (to do)
18. Remove old scene viewer idea (to do)
Anybody know if the characters in the first release are all that will be in the game?

4.00 star(s) 70 Votes