4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
An interesting way of modernizing an old work. I like it a lot and hope to see more.

I'd be interested, Basilicata , in hearing whether you believe that this was actually written by a woman, or written by a man in a woman's voice. I'm inclined towards the latter, myself (based on these seeming to me to be more male fantasies than female ones) but would be interested in your take. It doesn't mater for game purposes, of course.

Basilicata

Radioactive Member
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
An interesting way of modernizing an old work. I like it a lot and hope to see more.

I'd be interested, Basilicata , in hearing whether you believe that this was actually written by a woman, or written by a man in a woman's voice. I'm inclined towards the latter, myself (based on these seeming to me to be more male fantasies than female ones) but would be interested in your take. It doesn't mater for game purposes, of course.
Great question. Before starting this project, I tried to do my 'homework'. There were many questions to be answered about sex life in Victorian Times. I've watched at least a dozen of documentaries about this subject and more. The , those that Helen wears for example, I didn't know they existed.
Anyway, about your question.
Let's see the facts: The author must be
  • educated: The vocabulary is too rich and elegant
  • wealthy: Making an anonymous work of erotica, without expecting to be paid is a priviliege of a wealthy pen.
  • access to wealth: The descriptions of manors, habits, parties, ways of life, even cities like Paris etc point towards nobility or someone who has access and strong ties to it.
  • Just from the first chapter, descriptions of 'moisture between her thighs and risen nipples' and given the rarity of other works of erotica that might give out precious information about female arousal, point towards a FEMALE author
  • Extremely sexually experienced: This novel has every kink 'modern' erotica has. I mean: I might write a novel about bondage like 50 shades of gray but that doesn't mean I have personal experience nowadays, because the amount of information about this kink that I can find is enormous. Instead, the author of Arabella must have had personal experience.

Now, based on the above, I'd say that it's less probable that the author is female.

But could she be a courtisan or an ex prostitute who rose to higher class next to a pervy rich customer/sponsor. That would be strange because of the literal education. Although many courtesans rose to become wealthy and accepted in the upper class, I doubt that they had the classical education to write a novel.
Could she be an upper class adventurous woman or a widow: Could be too but as it is written in the 1st chapter, discretion was the key to all those adventures. I doubt that a respectable woman of that era could gain so much sexual experience and still keep it a secret (In any upper class house, there were butlers, servants, gardeners etc).

Is it more probable that the author is male: Yes, I guess so. Someone very experienced who also had his way with lots of women, not only in a physical way but even spiritual one. Communications about sexual desires was taboo even between a married couple. So maybe a wealthy, educated ladies' man who could not anymore follow the urges of his youth (Syphyllis?) and for fun, wrote his memoirs/fantasies in first person as a woman.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
But could she be a courtisan or an ex prostitute who rose to higher class next to a pervy rich customer/sponsor. That would be strange because of the literal education. Although many courtesans rose to become wealthy and accepted in the upper class, I doubt that they had the classical education to write a novel.
I have no idea if this work is written by a male or female. But I don't see why courtesans necessarily would be poorly educated. As I understand it, courtesans with both beauty and intelligence, wit and education were highly sought after. And just because someone was poor and/or not nobility doesn't mean they were poorly educated. There is who was the daughter of a cellist/composer and a singer. That seems like a background that would likely have a good education. Then there is that wrote her own . And there is who was a published author and poet in addition to being a courtesan.

EDIT: And even if a courtesan doesn't have that good education from the start, an intelligent one would pick up a lot of it just by being around highly educated people.

Last edited:

Basilicata

Radioactive Member
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
I have no idea if this work is written by a male or female. But I don't see why courtesans necessarily would be poorly educated. As I understand it, courtesans with both beauty and intelligence, wit and education were highly sought after. And just because someone was poor and/or not nobility doesn't mean they were poorly educated. There is who was the daughter of a cellist/composer and a singer. That seems like a background that would likely have a good education. Then there is that wrote her own . And there is who was a published author and poet in addition to being a courtesan.

EDIT: And even if a courtesan doesn't have that good education from the start, an intelligent one would pick up a lot of it just by being around highly educated people.
I've read their bios. You're absolutely right. But I didn't write that it's impossible, only less probable. Anyway this subject is really fascinating. From their bios, one other possibility came into my mind: Just like Harriet Wilson, this could be a work of a retired courtesan made as a blackmail. Once her demands were met, she never revealed her true identity. Fascinating.

Last edited:

Basilicata

Radioactive Member
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
Hear ye, hear ye, esteemed denizens! For those eagerly awaiting the unfolding of the second chapter within the illustrated tome entitled 'Arabella 1890', I bring tidings of great joy! Lo and behold, the much-anticipated chapter is at last complete and hath been unleashed upon the realms of Patreon, SubscribeStar, and Itch.io.

Mark this proclamation well, for in the span of perchance a month or even sooner, this cherished chapter shall grace these very precincts, available for all, unfettered and free for perusal. Anticipate its arrival with bated breath, as it journeys forth to be shared amongst all who yearn to delve into its rich narrative tapestry!

screenshot0195.png

Big Rooster

Engaged Member
Mar 16, 2018

Courtesans have to have some innate intelligence, to carry on with their upper-class patrons. Otherwise, they would likely be a bar wench scrabbling around for a few coppers.

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
Oh come on now.. Why did it have to be text based?? The game thumbnail looks dope, and these art style with 18th century theme H-RPGs are very rare to find. It would have been awesome if this game was either RPGM, Side Scroller, Sandbox or Ren'py at least
Can you really call this text based? It has pictures than text for pictures so basically the majority of Renpy games that don't include animation. Text based is usually got the small pictures with very wordy pages. So this one looks more like a adult manhwa format.

Reactions: Basilicata

CboyC95

Engaged Member
Feb 22, 2019
Do we have player freedom in what actions for the main character or are some stuff unavoidable like B/G?

Basilicata

Radioactive Member
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
Do we have player freedom in what actions for the main character or are some stuff unavoidable like B/G?
No. The whole idea is to illustrate the original text. There are a couple of choices to be made so far but they don't alter the story.

Reactions: Big Rooster

KylarStern

Apr 21, 2018
This is a fun one and feels unique compared to a lot of stuff here; I like the art style along with the approach of taking a classic piece of erotica and bringing it to life this way.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Basilicata

yilkin

dl.rpdl.net
Donor
Feb 23, 2023
Arabella1890-CH2
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Please note that we do not provide support for games.
For torrent-related issues use here, or join us on !
, . Downloading issues? Look here.​

Garatempus2

Aug 18, 2018
Interesting choice of book. Is there an uncensored version on Subscribestar?

update: Nvm I "uncesored" it myself. Thanks for the coloring though.

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 1 Vote