HTML Abandoned Arcanum Hotel [v1.0.0] [Sin-X]

1.50 star(s) 4 Votes

Stareagle lord

Aug 8, 2017
feminization just how about instead just having a male or female choice instead? i kinda like game Mc being male x girl or many girls x)

WizD

Apr 28, 2018
Not sure if its just me but I couldn't renovate the lunch room (also the price shows 20000 and then it says you pay 15000) and I couldn't kiss Jenna due to missing image. Don't know what's broken and what's not added at this stage. Not too grindy at all looks promising if you add .gifs or something for the good stuff :sneaky:.

Last edited:

Sin-X

God of Death
Donor
Apr 30, 2017
Not sure if its just me but I couldn't renovate the lunch room (also the price shows 20000 and then it says you pay 15000) and I couldn't kiss Jenna due to missing image. Don't know what's broken and what's not added at this stage. Not too grindy at all looks promising if you add .gifs or something for the good stuff :sneaky:.
That's pretty much all there is at this time, this is why I recommended people to skip this build as it's pretty much just the core of the game so I have something to work off.

I was contemplating taking her out of this build but decided meh it can stay for now. She will be in the game but you might not meet her in the same way as you currently do.

Thanks for taking the time to test the game out and pointing out my muck ups :) much appreaciated and I promise to try and have some proper content up as soon as I next get some time to work on the game.

Reactions: JJR

dspeed

Oct 15, 2016
It contains hardly any content if in fact whats there can be called content at all. Right now you have the basics of being able to move around various rooms work to earn money, sleep and eat.
No offence but why is it being posted then? What you have described doesn't really qualify as a game in any form I can define it.

Are you looking for testers? Feedback?

Sin-X

God of Death
Donor
Apr 30, 2017
No offence but why is it being posted then? What you have described doesn't really qualify as a game in any form I can define it.

Are you looking for testers? Feedback?

My main reason for creating the thread now is to have it ready so I don't have to mess around later.
Also in regards to your question testers and feedback are always welcome, I'm also looking for people to speak up on what they would like to see in the game.

I can just go ahead and throw a whole bunch of content into the game but it will amount to nothing more then a duplicate of the other html games posted here on a regular basic, by having the thread up and communicating with the community I can get ideas of what direction I should take the game based on what people are looking for or feel are lacking in these games.

While this is my project, I have stated in pevious comments that if people have ideas for specific events that could occur or specific characters and scenes, I'm open to suggetion.

Reactions: blargballs

Hercule_Poirot

Aug 22, 2016
I'm not sure what kind of content you'd like in this game, but I suppose that if you want for this game to involve juggling sex, relationships or whatever you want while trying to get this hotel to become successful enough to become a favorite destination for celebrities, politicians,etc...You might want to add an antagonist who wants to destroy the Hotel like a business mogul using dirty tactics, sending spies to work for you, maybe you could even turn those spies against him or make them actually like you as a person or leader and want to see you succeed.

Reactions: JJR and Sin-X

Sin-X

God of Death
Donor
Apr 30, 2017
I'm not sure what kind of content you'd like in this game, but I suppose that if you want for this game to involve juggling sex, relationships or whatever you want while trying to get this hotel to become successful enough to become a favorite destination for celebrities, politicians,etc...You might want to add an antagonist who wants to destroy the Hotel like a business mogul using dirty tactics, sending spies to work for you, maybe you could even turn those spies against him or make them actually like you as a person or leader and want to see you succeed.

This right here is exactly the reason the thread is up, I personally think this is a quality idea and will note it down. I will have to find some way to do polls or something with ideas like this to see what the community thinks.

Goonie

Oct 11, 2017
Interesting premise. As long as it doesn't turn into another sissification game I'll be interested to see where this goes.

WizD

Apr 28, 2018
That's pretty much all there is at this time, this is why I recommended people to skip this build as it's pretty much just the core of the game so I have something to work off.

I was contemplating taking her out of this build but decided meh it can stay for now. She will be in the game but you might not meet her in the same way as you currently do.

Thanks for taking the time to test the game out and pointing out my muck ups :) much appreaciated and I promise to try and have some proper content up as soon as I next get some time to work on the game.
It's fine I understand it's a beta. I was merely giving feedback. If it's broken then you know if it's not then cool beans. Still like I said it shows potential.

dspeed

Oct 15, 2016
Just playing through now. Some uncollected thoughts (I'm going to be really picky, just trying to help):

The background image's gradient needs changing as the extreme right edges of the white text can become a bit unreadable on the white side of the gradient.

On the main screen, you've gone with an idea of entering the name then pressing ENTER to move to the next screen. You'd probably save yourself some trouble by having a "Next" button that moves you based on the name box being filled. Otherwise you'll have people who have entered their name and are sat staring at their screen wondering what to do. Unfortunately this does happen.

On a design point, if you give the player $40k and then immediately subtract money from them to renovate the Manager's Room without a choice then the player feels that you've stolen from them. This could be good or bad depending on where you want the player to be at emotionally once you enter the main loop.
There's a story about early WoW design that fits here. To stop 24 hour grinding, WoW's designers first tried a system whereby XP fell by 50% after a certain time. Player's hated it and rioted. They changed this, so that you get 100% XP for grinding and then a period of 200% called "rested XP". It was the exact same system with the exact same timescales but reversed and the player's loved it.
You should never give the player a currency and then take it off them without giving them agency over the decision; that is, unless you're trying to make them annoyed at the character who robs them. You could give them less money and have the realtor give them the Manager's Room for free. If you want to achieve both goals - showing that you the hotel was wreck to the point that even the manager's room needed refurb AND not stealing from the player then this is where you'd insert some dialog. Even a single button press without any other choices labelled "Refurb Room" allows the player the illusion that it was them who built the room. You can lead people down a path and still make them feel active participants at the same time.

The pausing after the bathroom and kitchen is a bit long. I thought it was a bug and tried pressing back. Maybe if you want to transition scenes like this and give a feeling of the real passage of time, you could use animated text saying "Showering..." with the periods increasing?

I'm on the logbook screen. As a very general rule, you should try to put navigational UI buttons below action buttons. 2D/3D games tend to have focus on the middle of the screen and then the eyes move around an x and y axis. Text based games work like books in that the player starts at the top centre of the screen and actively works their way down. If you put navigational buttons above action buttons or text, the actual text tends to be ignored as the player has stored the exit. Essentially they think that they have "found the exit" to the next scene and the rest of the text on the screen is now just "in the way" or something that they have to get through in order to earn the right to click the exit. It messes with their focus of the content. Again, sometimes you want that though.

Your main pictures for each room are nice. You've conflated the UI though. The main pictures for the rooms tend to be in widescreen, which looks great by the way, but the navigation and action buttons are arranged vertically. You have a lot of wasted screen space to the right of the buttons that you might think about using. Maybe make the buttons horizontally aligned?

I'll add in a bit more once the game has more of a gameplay loop inside of it

Reactions: Sin-X and JJR

Sin-X

God of Death
Donor
Apr 30, 2017
Just playing through now. Some uncollected thoughts (I'm going to be really picky, just trying to help):
Just read through your post and wanted to say thanks for the indepth feedback, no such thing as picky this is just my opinion but if you can't handle a hard critique then you have no business in creating things.

You make some excellent points about layout that I will look into, as for the the start where your currency is pretty much stolen from you I'm hoping that when I have finished the proper intro it won't feel so much like a gut punch.

In the full intro I want to throw in some full dialogue of them actually going around the broken down hotel with various images of each area in there current state, I'm also contemplating instead of having a generic renovate room button breaking it down into renovating specific parts of the room at lower costs to alleviate some of the grind that way the user can pick and choose what to fix and will always be able to do something rather then clicking check in 20 times before they can fix a room this is just an idea at this time ofcourse.

The bathroom and kitchen delays are purposely long as there would be images or some context there that I haven't added yet that I want the user to see, however this may also get a re-worked before the next release.

Again thanks for taking a look I really appreciate you taking the time :)

Reactions: dspeed
D

Deleted member 219172

looks good to me and wait for more content. keep on rocking hun :cool:

Reactions: Sin-X

Sin-X

God of Death
Donor
Apr 30, 2017
Are there more genres planned?
Yes more planned, what those may be is anyone's guess at this time. I'm still taking in community feedback making adjustments to the current UI/Gameplay Loop, I haven't started on the character content yet.

Feel like I need to perfect the basics before moving forward or I could run into lots of issue's later. :)

Sin-X

God of Death
Donor
Apr 30, 2017
Re-Working the sleep and eat system into a buff system, instead of sleeping and eating every day my plan is that when you sleep or eat you will get a buff icon above your image this will adjust some variable's in the background to make the game be nicer to you XD

The buffs have a time limit of 2-3 ingame days before needing a refresh.

Thoughts ?

1582290991714.png

JJR

Dec 23, 2016
The buffs have a time limit of 2-3 ingame days before needing a refresh.
Might help with the micromanagement, seen a few games that included showering/hygiene as well. You might wanna incorporate these variables in a "taking care of your body" buff/nerf (few weeks not eating or taking care of yourself might make interactions harder)
As long as it does not devolve in too much grindiness it might be an interesting concept to play around with

Reactions: Sin-X

kansasdude

Sep 13, 2017
2 Lucifter characters to choose from? Dan (Kevin Alejandro) or Lucifer (Tom Ellis)

1.50 star(s) 4 Votes