Are we that bad?

U

User_365148

k but your data doesn't give me solid numbers for it's actual traffic, just sites that were linking to it. This is giving actual numbers.
Not familiar with similarweb. So I won't argue with you on that. It may get more traffic.
Still I see no proof that it translates to patrons. And there are games that are beloved on this site, and get no patrons at all. And there are games that are reviled that get lots.

Sure I get that. However, I know that all of my traffic originates from here as it literally went from zero to 20-30 patrons within a few days of releasing it here while having it a patron only post on patreon (I had zero patrons/followers so this was the only source). Also, I only had the discord general community link in my signature here and most of those people happen to be patrons.
Of course it will spread to other sites eventually, but to say that this site is not useful for attracting patrons is just wrong.
But you are free to believe what you want. It will of course vary from game to game.
More like 2 weeks according to graphtreon.
And you are also free to believe what you want. :)

But the claim that this site is a marketing tool for creators rests on shoddy evidence at best.
No offence to anyone. It's just the truth.

D

Dr PinkCake

Not familiar with similarweb. So I won't argue with you on that. It may get more traffic.
Still I see no proof that it translates to patrons. And there are games that are beloved on this site, and get no patrons at all. And there are games that are reviled that get lots.

More like 2 weeks according to graphtreon.
And you are also free to believe what you want. :)

But the claim that this site is a marketing tool for creators rests on shoddy evidence at best.
No offence to anyone. It's just the truth.
Of course the site is a pirate site first and foremost; I would never argue that. But I never could get 65k views on my project just using patreon when they actively want to sweep my creations under the rug; who knows when they pull the plug on the adult community completely. Also, this site is a goldmine for constructive criticism, networking and knowledge; so it isn't all bad if you have the right mindset I believe. I guess we have different truths and there's nothing wrong with that. :) Thanks for the discussion.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Sorry to break it to you all, but the exposure stuff is BS.
On patreon you have a little page that shows you where your traffic is coming from.
For me traffic from f95 never broke the top 50 sites. And from speaking with some mid tier devs, the story is the same.
I think you vastly over estimate the exposure one gets on this site.

Also on the exposure side. It's not like every game out there doesn't have a free download that's a couple of versions older. I don't see why the latest version of your game has to be out here for people to get an idea if they like it or not.

It's hard to say how big an impact this site has in terms of how many people would put up some cash if they couldn't get it for free. But we can gauge the positive impact in terms of publicity. And that's negligible.
Sorry to break it to you, whilst on F95Zone, view page source, look at the top, you'll see:
Code:
<meta name="referrer" content="no-referrer">
This means that referrer data isn't sent when a user clicks on a link on F95Zone. This was added over a year ago when imgur added our domain to their blacklists, instantly preventing half the images from displaying on the site. However it's also handy as we like to link to developer's sites to give them exposure - some of which may not like having their content on here (we still want to give them a link back though).

If you really want to see where your traffic is coming from, I'd recommend polling your patrons to see where they first heard of your game. In the past when developers have done this, ~30-40% was from F95Zone.

Sorry to break it to you. There is more than one way to tell the traffic a site gets. But MOZ is considered pretty reliable
F95
Newgrounds

Doesn't even come close.
Sorry to break it to you, but moz has nothing to do with traffic. It rates SEO.

Not familiar with similarweb.
How about Alexa?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Patreon is a "here's how to sponsor me, cause you want to" and not "I demand money for my efforts", period.

When i discovered adult VN games and then F95 i also had similar questions, how can a site like F95 blatantly advertise someone's game that he's trying to "sell" on Patreon or wherever.... Then my eyes were opened. F95 is actually doing the devs a favor, period.

They say nothing is free, but why can it not be also be free?
Sponsor a dev on Patreon if you like what he/she does and if you feel you want to. bottom line.

*drops the mic*

DarkCube

Game Developer
Jan 20, 2018
This is a very good topic, it covers a really serious question.
As a dev, who's posted the game just three days ago, I must confirm - F95 just ROCKS in terms of feedback, advertising of adult games and increasing the player base.
Not going to waste many words and will post the artwork that I've made in excitement one day after the release of on F95. It illustrates how I feel about this great site and its amazing community! :D Because today things look even better!

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
When i discovered adult VN games and then F95 i also had similar questions, how can a site like F95 blatantly advertise someone's game that he's trying to "sell" on Patreon or wherever.... Then my eyes were opened. F95 is actually doing the devs a favor, period.
Correct. Whilst a lot of people download for free for their own reasons you will get those that support you if your product is good enough .I have thrown support behind a couple of devs because i can afford to (just).The big thing is without this site i wouldn't have known they existed.Good games will get support period. Mediocre to bad may struggle but that is rl some companies survive some dont it all about product does it sell

MrXV

Oct 3, 2017
I'm super vary about supporting any adult game on patreon and a lot of that is just the fact that 99% of these games just dont get finished and left behind. For that reason i see F95zone as a good thing to be part of, since i can play the games without having to pay before i'm actually sure the project/game is going anywhere. And considering how many 0.1's that gets pushed on F95zone and dont get past that part i dont understand why anyone would risk that investment. Even if it's just a one dollar investment. But, i've supported DoD and DmD while i played them and a lot the reason behind that was that they had content and the devs didnt quit on them.

Speaking for myself, without F95zone i wouldnt have found any of the QSP games i now play a lot of like GirlLife. Or a lot of the renpy games that is completed or just around. Even the 0.1's that pop up. F95zone gives me the chance to play these 0.1's and get familiar with them without having to put in money to do so, which is a good thing. I'd rather not pay for a 0.1 at all. Considering how little content these versions usually got.

• Angry
Reactions: spokkimax