art style?

Dec 30, 2021
Hello there!
As title said, I want some comments on my art style.
I go for a more western cartoon style,
and I seem to have developed my own art style recently.

I just want to share my art here and see if anyone got feedbacks to share,
for personal improvements
(please speak it out if something in my drawings is weird/ off-key)
(or just leave some compliments to boost my confidence):KEK:

-2024, socrates_drawings

Untitled_Artwork 2.png

Jack Madrigal

Aug 12, 2023
I like the faces you make they really have some attitude, however, have you tried with some cell shading ? I don't mean this to be rude but the coloring as it is now feel mushy, and I think it'd be beneficial to add some sharpness.

I'm willing to provide some examples if you wish to have that kind of conversation.

Dec 30, 2021
I like the faces you make they really have some attitude, however, have you tried with some cell shading ? I don't mean this to be rude but the coloring as it is now feel mushy, and I think it'd be beneficial to add some sharpness.

I'm willing to provide some examples if you wish to have that kind of conversation.
yea of course! show me some examples!

Jack Madrigal

Aug 12, 2023
Untitled_Artwork_4.png

I took the liberty to edit your drawing, that's 5 min work for the sake of not making you wait. with just a couple of crude brush strokes, but I hope it's enough to show you just with some cell shading you can really make your character pop out a lot more, I didn't even edit the colors or anything, just a multiply layer and that's it.

beyond that it boil down to your style and preferences of course I don't want you to stop being yourself, but generally it's more visually appealing to have clearly defined shape and ambient occlusion.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021
beyond that it boil down to your style and preferences of course I don't want you to stop being yourself, but generally it's more visually appealing to have clearly defined shape and ambient occlusion.
yea it does look more cinematic, I'll take the advice!
(especially gonna try the cell shading around the boob area.)

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
The only thing that bothers me are those "thicc" lines. Everything else is beautiful.

As for lines... Try learning to make darker shades on areas instead of keeping line art. It's not easy.
But imho would drastically increase quality. But that's just me and my loud thoughts, keep it up.

Dec 30, 2021
Noses look weird. That mole in the middle on every face is annoying.
It’s suppose to be the nose highlight,
I guess I should remove the outline part of the highlight

The only thing that bothers me are those "thicc" lines. Everything else is beautiful.
i sort of go for a more cartoon style?
Cuz having an outline is more simple drawing procedure wise,
I may start trying drawings without outline soon

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Glorified_ignorance

Jack Madrigal

Aug 12, 2023
don't go changing the way you draw things now just to make peoples happy, otherwise you'll just do what everyone do, join the mainstream and lose all personality.

do it your way, improve in your own style, don't "change" it.

Reactions: woody554

Losersriot

Jul 7, 2021
well it’s true,
but ive been wanting to improve my lighting and shading for a long while,
these comment sort of become motivation of my own improvement? I guess.
And don’t worry! Keeping my style and improving it has always been my goal.

ouch.
Ancient masters of Afganistan and Persia hate art "style" because style is flaw.

Ideal art not have style because not have any flaw. Ideal artstyle is AI photo phantom.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Socrates_Drawings

Rintal

May 6, 2017
There is no art style here. It looks like a redrawing of a real picture or photo. Just tracing a contour, without understanding the anatomy and body masses. Not bad for a start, but nothing to discuss.

Dec 30, 2021
It looks like a redrawing of a real picture or photo. Just tracing a contour, without understanding the anatomy and body masses.
That's true, I mostly took reference from pinterest poses.
(or japanese hentai poses)
I am still learning anatomy and lighting slowly.
However, body masses isn't something I've even thought about.
thanks for reminding me to put some work on that :)

Rintal

May 6, 2017
That's true, I mostly took reference from pinterest poses.
(or japanese hentai poses)
I am still learning anatomy and lighting slowly.
However, body masses isn't something I've even thought about.
thanks for reminding me to put some work on that :)
Well, the human body consists not of contours, but of volumes. You must learn to understand them and be able to portray them. In a classic drawing, they are highlighted using the contrast of light and shadow, as well as the direction of the stroke. In painting, everything is a little more complicated. =)
1673749865_gas-kvas-com-p-akademicheskii-risunok-byust-poetapno-posl-2.jpg