John Ness

Feb 23, 2021
digi.B as for downloads, why not use torrents? At least as an option. Torrent of your game on rpdl.net now have 42 seeders. Great speed, no size restriction, and you don't have to worry about hosting. But for sure there will be those who do not want to use torrents, unfortunately...

Reactions: Rockstarwest99

EvolutionKills

Jan 3, 2021
You can't say...

In a crowded forum full of this game's super fans and expect anyone to be 100% nice to you in reply. TBH, I was just going to ignore the comment. You are fortunate that you got a decent reply at all.

Devs skills DO improve as their games progress, sometimes from one game to the next, other times during the course of the same game. The latter is the case here. In my signature, you will see two other games that are among my top favorites of all time, like Artemis. BOTH show notable improvements from the early game through the later chapters...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The spoiler has just two examples of many dozens that I could list but will not further take away from Digi.B's exceptional game to do so here. Some devs do go back to update their early work to reflect their improvements, others do not. However, I will not criticize a dev for making improvements midgame. In fact, I say thank you to them for making the improvements when those skills and/or resources came available to them.

I mean you no insult and bear you no malice... just a word to the wise to think before you speak. The example images you showed do NOT look that bad yet I do see the difference with a more greatly enhanced quality in the late game renders. To that I say, "thank you for improving your skills, Digi.B!" But, you'll not hear me say earlier renders "look like hell" just because the later renders look better.

Adventure ever on friend, Phat:devilish:(y)
View attachment 2136982

That's great and all, but maybe the super-fans need to work on their reading comprehension? Cause if they focused only on the "But playing the game it just looks like hell" part while entirely ignoring all of the context around it? Where I thought I was making it clear that I was surprised and perplexed by the quality, cause I remember it being better? That I was worried that there was a problem with the game or the download? Yeah, I wasn't expecting super-fans to be in 100% agreement with me if I had been here to trash the game. But anyone who took it as such, was selectively reading what they wanted into my post.

Crowangel

Dec 12, 2021
absolutly sensational.. ch4 update was just the best yet.. i miss being a patreon and showing my true support but sadly the run up to xmas is just too damn expensive with 2 kids hounding for prezzie ideas lol come new year i'll be back

EvolutionKills

Jan 3, 2021
I still have v0.3.2 (previous release, Chapter 1 to 3) and the images are exactly like what you posted. Those scenes were from the v0.1 (first release) where the renders quality is so so, but the renders gets better and better. Later scenes especially starting from the second release (Chapter 2) where the MC (and players) was introduced to the INK girls. It just gets better with each releases otherwise many (if not all) would have complained very vocally. While Chapter 4 is the complete Book 1, digi.B couldn't re-render all those earlier images because of time constraints and he already got his hands full on so many things he barely managed everything splendidly.

However, it should also be noted that those earlier renders would probably best to be redone sometimes later in the future, but for now it is not worth it. Most players will prefer digi.B to continue with the story/game. Cheers.

Yeah, I was just perplexed. I had entirely forgotten just how rough the early sections looked, and my recollection of how the vast majority of the game looked just didn't mesh with what I was seeing while replaying the game from the very beginning. So much so that I downloaded one of the compressed versions to take a comparative look at those scenes, to see whether or not there was a discernable difference in quality. There was not. So at that point I figured it probably wasn't a problem with the download or the game, and I soldiered on, happy to see things start to improved past the sorority's introduction. By the time of June's dinner date, it was back to looking pretty fantastic. Outside a few quibbles with some of the animations (framerate and quality are excellent, as are attention to details like facial animation, but corners get cut with some rigid limbs and awkward hand floating/placement), it's pretty top notch all around.

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I was just perplexed. I had entirely forgotten just how rough the early sections looked, and my recollection of how the vast majority of the game looked just didn't mesh with what I was seeing while replaying the game from the very beginning. So much so that I downloaded one of the compressed versions to take a comparative look at those scenes, to see whether or not there was a discernable difference in quality. There was not. So at that point I figured it probably wasn't a problem with the download or the game, and I soldiered on, happy to see things start to improved past the sorority's introduction. By the time of June's dinner date, it was back to looking pretty fantastic. Outside a few quibbles with some of the animations (framerate and quality are excellent, as are attention to details like facial animation, but corners get cut with some rigid limbs and awkward hand floating/placement), it's pretty top notch all around.
(y) (Ran out of reactions, have to reply:ROFLMAO:) Luckily for me, I only played on Full HD (1080p) so the early renders did not look that bad, but I would imagine if let say playing on Ultra, 2K, 4K, 8K or whatever the upper echelon resolutions on a 27+ inch monitor (some of the earlier renders) must have been looked like.

Last edited:

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
(y) (Ran out of reactions, have to reply:ROFLMAO:) Luckily for me, I only played on Full HD (1080p) so the early renders did not look that bad, but I would imagine if let say playing on Ultra, 2K, 4K, 8K or whatever the upper echelon resolutions on a 27+ inch monitor (some of the earlier renders) must have been looked like.
Had to replay from the start due to a case of saves going *poof* so I got to see first hand how bad the early renders looked. And I don't mean "bad" compared to other VNs, they're still quite okay. It's just that the more recent renders look so much better, and the newer animations are exceptional as well.
I don't think it's an issue with screen resolution, the old renders are just blurry and some facial expressions were (partially are) scary looking. He improved a ton since he started out and now it's one of the visually best looking VNs out there.

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
Had to replay from the start due to a case of saves going *poof* so I got to see first hand how bad the early renders looked. And I don't mean "bad" compared to other VNs, they're still quite okay. It's just that the more recent renders look so much better, and the newer animations are exceptional as well.
I don't think it's an issue with screen resolution, the old renders are just blurry and some facial expressions were (partially are) scary looking. He improved a ton since he started out and now it's one of the visually best looking VNs out there.
My bad about the screen resolution because it is purely my speculation because I have not played any games (adult or not) on any screens other than 15 inch LCD 1080p. I wholeheartedly agree that the renders had improved a lot and were just referring to some earlier ones, for me it does not look that bad but perhaps because of my display and resolution. I just thought that higher resolution would exaggerate the player dissatisfaction because of upscaling or something like that, but yeah purely bad speculation on my part. Cheers.

EvolutionKills

Jan 3, 2021
My bad about the screen resolution because it is purely my speculation because I have not played any games (adult or not) on any screens other than 15 inch LCD 1080p. I wholeheartedly agree that the renders had improved a lot and were just referring to some earlier ones, for me it does not look that bad but perhaps because of my display and resolution. I just thought that higher resolution would exaggerate the player dissatisfaction because of upscaling or something like that, but yeah purely bad speculation on my part. Cheers.

I think a lot of it had to do with two things. One, the original render settings. Whenever you are rendering out a scene in a 3D program (3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender, etc.) you can set all kinds of options, including the final output's resolution and file type. The early renders seemed to really suffer from compression artifacts, where visual information is lost or missing. This could be from rendering the initial output at a lower resolution (e.g. 720p) to save time, and them up-rezzing the picture in another program (e.g. GIMP, Photoshop, or even Ren'Py) to a larger output (e.g. 1080p).

Another possibility is you can also lose information if you make a copy of the original render in a compressed 'lossy' file type, like JPEG; as opposed to keeping it in a 'lossless' and much larger format like RAW, TIF, or PNG. Also, you can get those artifacts when you put images through a compression algorithim, which was why I downloaded and compared a compressed version of the game; so see if the difference was more or less pronounced. It is also especially visible in darker scenes, as one of the things to take the biggest hit in size compression is color depth. So it means less color, which results in much starker and sharper color gradients. In really dark scenes, this can manifest as strange blotches of random colors in what should otherwise be pitch black or near to it.

TheDick69+

Jun 29, 2021
Had completely forgotten the story, well at least some parts. So I did a total restart and that was good. I can only agree, the renders gets better, they are not that great from the start. Still, the story is so great that I didn't think about is it so much. The MC has no poker face and that's so funny. ;)

Reactions: JohnF95zone

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
Had completely forgotten the story, well at least some parts. So I did a total restart and that was good. I can only agree, the renders gets better, they are not that great from the start. Still, the story is so great that I didn't think about is it so much. The MC has no poker face and that's so funny. ;)
I, congressman John McClane approve this message(y). I should probably had used that terms earlier, not that great instead I used the opposite, my bad. It is more in line to what I had experienced playing the game myself.

Last edited:

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
I mean, seriously guys. Especially Zoe goes from this:
To this:
Nobody can deny that the quality got better over time and in some cases going back to the beginning of the game can be a little tough. Looking at the earlier Zoe, who would have thought that she was supposed to be this hot?

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
I mean, seriously guys. Especially Zoe goes from this:
To this:
Nobody can deny that the quality got better over time and in some cases going back to the beginning of the game can be a little tough. Looking at the earlier Zoe, who would have thought that she was supposed to be this hot?
Yep! That was my point when the subject was first breached... the improvements are a reason to THANK Digi.B, not complain about the initial image quality. Hopefully Digi.B will return to those initial renders to give them the updated treatment once the full game is completed. However, the improvements do serve as a mile marker to indicate how this dev grew during the production of this fine, fab, and brilliant title!

Adventure ever on my friends, Phat:devilish:(y)

PS: My face mirrors my lovely June Moon in this image below when I see the amazing improvements that Digi.B made!

Base Profile Screenshot 2022.10.15 - 16.51.30.36.png
I'm with you there baby... looks amazing, right?;)

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
Hopefully Digi.B will return to those initial renders to give them the updated treatment once the full game is completed.
I feel like updating the earlier versions of the game might be too much work to be worth it. Because not only did the textures and lighting get vastly improved, but also the posing, facial expressions and all the little animations.

Reactions: PapaPhat

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I feel like updating the earlier versions of the game might be too much work to be worth it. Because not only did the textures and lighting get vastly improved, but also the posing, facial expressions and all the little animations.
If he wants to put this game on Steam, reworking earlier images might be imperative.

Then there is the impression the images give to brand new players. If he would like them to continue playing, and perhaps support him financially, it would be beneficial to make improvements.

It doesn't need to be all done at once.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
If he wants to put this game on Steam, reworking earlier images might be imperative.

Then there is the impression the images give to brand new players. If he would like them to continue playing, and perhaps support him financially, it would be beneficial to make improvements.

It doesn't need to be all done at once.
I think you're overestimating the discernment of the average player ... I suspect most people won't be bothered by the quality of the early works.

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Love the little back and forth banter that Digi and Drifty have because they chose the same model for their MC.
Both excellent AVNs and I loved seeing Lexi make a little cameo in Artemis. Looking forward to Driftys next project.

4.80 star(s) 376 Votes