xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
Thank you Barrazin for the remider, and the repost.
Sincerly, I feel happy to get an update, even if it is after 18 month, we are talking about a everyday altering condition, and thank god he lives in a country where he has the resorces to get treatment, Hope he is getting well and steady progressing.
I shurely get off topic here, but for me the wellbeing of anyone comes first.
well

jasont123

Aug 14, 2020
1688417116525.png

Happy Monday!

Uneventful post this week. Created a handful of reporters for a conference that'll take place at Kapp Ind. How CH5 closes kind of reminded me of how CH1 closed, so did a slight tweak to it. Didn't want anyone to think I'm pulling a Star Wars ANH and The Force Awakens, heh. Something that's been on the back of my mind since CH4 was how much in size each chapter is. Book 1 is roughly 10GB in size and that's after file optimization (story renders are compressed with webp and anims with webm). Book 2, 3, and 4 could add 10GB each making Artemis rival your average Call of Duty update...just kidding.

CH5 will be like every other update. Assuming you already have Book 1 (updates 1-4), things will be status quo. You just merge CH5 update with the others and play as normal. That's because being this far into development, I don't want to try anything new that will disrupt anything. But I'm considering two versions. One where it's all-inclusive. The game size will continue to increase all the way until the end of Book 4 which could potentially be 40+GB. And another version where it's divided into Books 1-4. The caveat with dividing the books is if you run Book 3 and try to load a save from Book 1, you'll have to close Book 3 and run Book 1. Kind of like the days of the PS1/2 era of swapping discs (looking at you Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, etc.) haha. The way I've coded Artemis, a save transfer wouldn't be necessary, at least if you're on Windows. I can't say for sure about Mac or Linux.

Anyways, I just wanted to bring this up so you guys know that I'm aware of the increasing size of Artemis and it's something I'm working on solutions with. Ideally, I'd like to have a website up and running soon-ish. Craft a nice UI that will help you get the download you need. It'll integrate with Patreon and hopefully make things look more organized. The pinned post on my Patreon I find pretty sloppy and is in dire need of a revision, which I'll be cleaning up when CH5 enters Beta.
Speaking of cleaning up. The BIO app will be getting cleaned up. I thought having the girl's stats would be fun, but it's just so useless. The affinity tracker will stay, but stuff like bra/waist/etc. will be gone. In its place, will be an event tracker. like a journal of what you did with them, what you've learned about them, etc. This should help the BIO app server a more significant purpose. Also, someone asked about the lore and other details about the universe. That'll be something I'll be implementing too next chapter. Get more information about the world. It'll be something I'll add to the main menu as well as an app on the phone.

That wraps it up for this week. For those stateside, have a safe 4th of Joo-ly. Apologies for the lack of holiday special renders. I look forward to getting back on track with them after this dev cycle.

Be safe and stay hydrated!

(PS - I haven't forgotten about the shirts)

-digi.B

Tokenugget

Jan 25, 2022
Guess at this point we can expect 9 month intervals with updates.... might as well chalk it to a year cuz y not. So sad. Was once a great game but now it's like "maybe next year i'll get 3 hours of decent content" ... Dev is too busy selling shirts and getting the game on steam (For the past 6 months :ROFLMAO:)

Barrazin

Oct 27, 2022
Guess at this point we can expect 9 month intervals with updates.... might as well chalk it to a year cuz y not. So sad. Was once a great game but now it's like "maybe next year i'll get 3 hours of decent content" ... Dev is too busy selling shirts and getting the game on steam (For the past 6 months :ROFLMAO:)
He's literally dealing with health issues and you're making retarded jokes like this?

Astrocreep137

Aug 3, 2022
Should probably swap to webp like some games to dramatically cut down on filesize if the game is getting too big.
Dev addresed this very issue in his last developer update (not game update). Has switched to webp and webm to reduce file sizes. Is exploring separating the game into chapters that can be downloaded/run on their own to reduce sizing further.

Reactions: Walter Victor

WhiteyG

Sep 30, 2020
Someone should tell Digi that they still make glasses. If he is having that much trouble finding contacts that don't cause discomfort there are other options.

I hope this isn't turning into another game where the dev keeps finding reasons for delays. Seems to be the case with most of the good ones anymore. Way to common for updates to take almost a year. I can certainly understand that quality takes time and shit happens, but updates for this used to be 4-5 months. Hopefully chapter 5 will be out soon and these delays are just a one-off and not a recurring theme.

Hethunder

Oct 21, 2021
I'm sure it was already said... BUT the two security guys deciding how to interrogate had me DYING! I was laughing so hard I was having trouble catching my breath and was crying.

This game is amazing! Top 5 VNs for sure!

Rhykio

Dec 18, 2021

devlog.jpg

Happy Monday!

Wrapped up another scene with just three more to complete! Busy week as I stayed focused on organizing everything. Being this far into development, things just become a bit chaotic keeping things organized. It's organized chaos though, one of those situations where I can spot the needle in the haystack. As I was organizing things, I've been letting an idea stew in my mind. I believe I hinted at or just blatantly mentioned it already. When I work, I tend to binge-watch shows on another monitor just to have some background noise when music isn't cutting it for me. I've been paying a bit of attention to their re-caps and how they're presented. So, I've just been letting this idea grow in the back of my mind, and in case no one has caught on, there's this recurring theme throughout the game's UI and even save folder that has been present since CH1. Which is "memories" and with the core of the story starting to ramp up, I think it's time to finally start building up its place in Artemis. So, with CH5 there'll be a recap of the previous chapters. Bring key info that's relevant to CH5 back into focus and just give a refresher before diving into the update. Building that UI will be something fun to do as it will be relevant later in the story.

Anyhoo, lots of fun stuff I'm excited to show off with this release. I also picked up another 4090. There are still some animations to be done and one that needs to be re-rendered. I didn't foresee any issues with my current animation backlog, but I figured having an extra render box to handle the animations wouldn't hurt. I'll be getting that setup sometime this week.

On a personal note, I finally got my new contacts! The one on the right is the new set. They're slightly larger and rest much more comfortably on my sclera (the white of your eyes).

I saw some concerns about the future of Artemis and my keratoconus. Actually, seems there's been a lot of discussion, and has turned into a game of telephone where information gets wildly muddied the more it gets passed on. It was amusing to be informed of this to be honest, haha. So, I'll address some stuff real quick.

Keratoconus can be treated. During ch1, I was diagnosed with it. During chapters 2 and 3, I got crosslinking done on my corneas to stop the disease. At the start of ch4 I finally got my medically necessary contacts through Kaiser.

Some have suggested getting glasses instead of contacts. Glasses were the first thing I tried to get to correct things. Unfortunately, very few with keratoconus find success with glasses and the most common treatment are special hard contact lenses called "scleral lenses". And like glasses, they also require fine-tuning.
My keratoconus has not delayed CH5 in any way. Getting things ready for Steam (recoding elements of the game to work with Steam Deck/controller took some work to do as well as other factors preparing for Steam) rocked things a bit. As stated, I've had my other contacts from Kaiser since CH4. For those in my inner circle know I've been wanting to see a doctor in LA for a while now. He himself has keratoconus too and has equipment suited to treating this with far better accuracy. Why not see him in the first place? He's in Los Angeles and the bill was roughly $4,000 out of pocket. Medical/vision insurance is such a grey area with keratoconus and I've been dumping funds toward custom 3D assets and upgrading equipment for Artemis development instead because as said before, I can see well enough with my previous set of contacts. It was just a matter of comfort and was something I was willing to deal with for the time being while I saved up for this doc. I've had my latest set from the new doctor for a couple of days now and I'm not getting constant mucus build-up or red eyes anymore. I've actually had some people ask if I was sober because my eyes were often red from irritation. The comfort level is a 10/10 now.
Thanks for attending my Keratoconus TED Talk lol

Have yourselves a great week and stay hydrated!

- digi.B

D-ricky

Feb 14, 2022
1689018665321.png

Why is the "just the tip" option not available when I go back into the gallery to view it? What do I need to do to unlock it?

4.80 star(s) 378 Votes