RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
ATTENTION IF YOU PLEASE

=========================

I'm running through ideas on a spell idea that I'm wondering how well it would go over so I'd like some opinions.

Namely, if I create spells that allow you to build up and extend the turns of Status conditions, but when built too high those status conditions would be forcefully removed (for a reward of damage against the enemy) but the enemy would gain a new status, which I am currently calling "Dauntless". If they had Dauntless, the spells that would build up other status would fail and the enemy could gain no other status until Dauntless was removed. Not even with Curse or Terror which guarantee a status normally.

In other words, say you had a spell that slowly increased how much a target was Frozen. With a Dice of 1-3 for how many turns of Frozen were added. But, if that turns got beyond 6, you cause massive damage when the ice breaks and he'd gain Dauntless 3. Now if you tried to use this spell, he'd resist it with Dauntless and do his normal attack to you.

If you tried to use Terror to create Fear at that point, it would fail as well because of Dauntless, you'd waste the Mana and the attack would still go through.

Now things like Walls or other non-status effect Defenses would still work (Charged Shield, Ward Shield).
Summons could still block for you, but Armored Skeleton would be unable to cause Fear. Wraith would also fail to cause fear, and might be made to not give you mana either (up for debate).

This would be a major mechanic change, and I want to know how people would feel about it before I continue designing around it. Or before Kthu works out how plausible it would be to code.

Thanks in advance.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
ATTENTION IF YOU PLEASE

=========================

I'm running through ideas on a spell idea that I'm wondering how well it would go over so I'd like some opinions.

Namely, if I create spells that allow you to build up and extend the turns of Status conditions, but when built too high those status conditions would be forcefully removed (for a reward of damage against the enemy) but the enemy would gain a new status, which I am currently calling "Dauntless". If they had Dauntless, the spells that would build up other status would fail and the enemy could gain no other status until Dauntless was removed. Not even with Curse or Terror which guarantee a status normally.

In other words, say you had a spell that slowly increased how much a target was Frozen. With a Dice of 1-3 for how many turns of Frozen were added. But, if that turns got beyond 6, you cause massive damage when the ice breaks and he'd gain Dauntless 3. Now if you tried to use this spell, he'd resist it with Dauntless and do his normal attack to you.

If you tried to use Terror to create Fear at that point, it would fail as well because of Dauntless, you'd waste the Mana and the attack would still go through.

Now things like Walls or other non-status effect Defenses would still work (Charged Shield, Ward Shield).
Summons could still block for you, but Armored Skeleton would be unable to cause Fear. Wraith would also fail to cause fear, and might be made to not give you mana either (up for debate).

This would be a major mechanic change, and I want to know how people would feel about it before I continue designing around it. Or before Kthu works out how plausible it would be to code.

Thanks in advance.
...unless that power explosion would cause 999 damage this doesn't sound like anything worth it... if the enemy survives you'll either have to rely to kill the enemy with damage skills or prolong the fight by defending for several turns.
Doing this once with an enemy like greed might be acceptable but if you have to keep doing it more often than 3 times it'll only be an annoying mechanic... atleast that's how I see it

Reactions: imzahai

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
...unless that power explosion would cause 999 damage this doesn't sound like anything worth it... if the enemy survives you'll either have to rely to kill the enemy with damage skills or prolong the fight by defending for several turns.
Doing this once with an enemy like greed might be acceptable but if you have to keep doing it more often than 3 times it'll only be an annoying mechanic... atleast that's how I see it
Well, no it wouldn't be that big. The idea is that as a bonus for being able to increase Fear, Hex, Stun, Frozen, and Burn from the 1 or 2 levels you might get with other skills, up to a higher number like maybe even as much as 4 or 5 turns. But if you use that spell after a certain threshold, you're guaranteeing it's going to go over.

That said, the whole idea of this spell came from people complaining that some spells could just be spammed over and over until the end of the fight without much issue because of Status effects, or defensive measures. And I was trying to bring back the Darkness Spell with a guaranteed Fear mechanic that could build, and then would cause damage. But I realized that people would just spam it into hell, keeping the enemy under constant Fear.

Even if I just removed the Fear at the end of the build up, and did the damage, without the Positive Status to the Enemy, nothing would stop players from just going back to spam the Build Up spell again. Now there are two ways to prevent spam.

A Negative Outcome or Mana Cost.

But Mana Cost just slows down combat.

The other reason I came up with the Dauntless idea, was because in general, other than some enemies being able to gain back HP, Enemies don't have any kind of "Difficulty" increase beyond having massive amounts of Health or if they use the "Boss Fight" damage variable.

Now all of this talk is just elementary while I'm brainstorming ideas because Kthu could just come up and say "Not happening." and I'd have to take this all a different direction.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I really lack the patience for shit like this.

I see I need a save from when Sloth talks at the end of act 1 only, Sloth doesn't even show up at the end of act 1.

I have a scene with Kat, I get asked if I want to join the Elite, I get "Ending 3 For whom the bell tolls" and then I get credits ... that's it.

None of the saves around there count and I get no auto save.

ohmz

Feb 6, 2021

I see I need a save from when Sloth talks at the end of act 1 only, Sloth doesn't even show up at the end of act 1.

I have a scene with Kat, I get asked if I want to join the Elite, I get "Ending 3 For whom the bell tolls" and then I get credits ... that's it.

If you join the elite it is the end of the game. You have to choose not to join to get to the Sloth ending.

Reactions: Kthulian

mr.AwesomeGameTaste

Feb 18, 2021

yeah,joining the elite is just the end of the game somehow,even though it doesn't make sense.K said it was an ending just so there would be an ending back when he wasn't sure if Ataegina would continue much further if i remember correctly. You'd have to have a save before that and not choose the elites.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
Well, no it wouldn't be that big. The idea is that as a bonus for being able to increase Fear, Hex, Stun, Frozen, and Burn from the 1 or 2 levels you might get with other skills, up to a higher number like maybe even as much as 4 or 5 turns. But if you use that spell after a certain threshold, you're guaranteeing it's going to go over.

That said, the whole idea of this spell came from people complaining that some spells could just be spammed over and over until the end of the fight without much issue because of Status effects, or defensive measures. And I was trying to bring back the Darkness Spell with a guaranteed Fear mechanic that could build, and then would cause damage. But I realized that people would just spam it into hell, keeping the enemy under constant Fear.

Even if I just removed the Fear at the end of the build up, and did the damage, without the Positive Status to the Enemy, nothing would stop players from just going back to spam the Build Up spell again. Now there are two ways to prevent spam.

A Negative Outcome or Mana Cost.

But Mana Cost just slows down combat.

The other reason I came up with the Dauntless idea, was because in general, other than some enemies being able to gain back HP, Enemies don't have any kind of "Difficulty" increase beyond having massive amounts of Health or if they use the "Boss Fight" damage variable.

Now all of this talk is just elementary while I'm brainstorming ideas because Kthu could just come up and say "Not happening." and I'd have to take this all a different direction.
This might be to simple in my mind, but why not simply make an enemy resist a spell a single time after build up and than adding a cooldown to the skill the MC used, that way other Skills with other negative Statuseffects would still work but Players are still forced to change their tactic until the skill gets avaiable again.

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
Finally, that day in the month with Ataegina update! Impatiently downloaded, started the game dying to know what's new in the update and then:
View attachment 1783278
Oh Kthulian why did you changed Ren'PY in that cursed thing which is 7.4, why, WHY, WHAAAAAY? :cry:
OK, that's it for me, tried to fix this several times, but aside to buy new PC with better graphic card than it is my current integrated outdated shit I can't. Good luck with new updates of this incredible game, it was unforgettable while it lasted for me.
Oh...
I wasn't expecting that this would happen... What solutions have you tried to make 7.4 work? Do you have an idea why exactly your computer doesn't work with it? You can't install OpenGL 2.0?

OMG, nice update !

The fight system is REALLY better. Now you can see the ennemies precise HP. Furthemore it clearly shows how many turns the status effect will last.

Two things tho :
1/ The tier 3 spell [Shadow form] : This spell really has some interesting effects ! But the description says its effect lasts only 3 turns, however looks like it last for the entire fight, which makes you pretty much INVINCIBLE for the ENTIRE fight. This has to be a bug :LUL:
2/ The status effects still can't be accumulated. Exemple : an enemy cannot burn and be stunned at the same time.
1 - Yeah that's a bug... Should be fixed now

2- Yeah, status replace themselves, but that's not a bug... It's a feature

pervikar

Oct 2, 2021
Oh...
I wasn't expecting that this would happen... What solutions have you tried to make 7.4 work? Do you have an idea why exactly your computer doesn't work with it? You can't install OpenGL 2.0?
First of all Kthulian thank you very much for your notice of my plight.
Tried couple of tricks from these posts:
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-doesnt-start.97002/
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-7-4-4.79721/
No luck. Why my computer doesn't work is probably this quote from REN'PY documentation:
" Older versions of Ren'Py supported a software renderer, but this has been removed."
These are my specs:
specs.png
Really strange thing is that I started game called Homelander which bear some similarities with your masterpiece as some kind of consolation. It is made in REN'PY 7.4.4, with double exe ( for 64 and 32 bit) like in newest Ataegina but on my pleasant surprise I can run it without problems. For the end, if I don't find any solution until I buy new PC take good care of Izzy, Katla, Mida and all the rest beauties.

Zephea

Engaged Member
Sep 7, 2019
First of all Kthulian thank you very much for your notice of my plight.
Tried couple of tricks from these posts:
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-doesnt-start.97002/
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-7-4-4.79721/
No luck. Why my computer doesn't work is probably this quote from REN'PY documentation:
" Older versions of Ren'Py supported a software renderer, but this has been removed."
These are my specs:
View attachment 1790827
Really strange thing is that I started game called Homelander which bear some similarities with your masterpiece as some kind of consolation. It is made in REN'PY 7.4.4, with double exe ( for 64 and 32 bit) like in newest Ataegina but on my pleasant surprise I can run it without problems. For the end, if I don't find any solution until I buy new PC take good care of Izzy, Katla, Mida and all the rest beauties.
If you have some (slightly) older versions of games that still work - one last thing you can try:
- Copy one entire folder for a game that still works and make a new copy of it.
- Go into this new folder and remove all the contents of the game folder
- Copy all the content from the newest Ataegina/game folder into this now empty game folder
- Try to restart the game.
- This works best with a fresh copy of the game that has never been played or run. Also, if the Ataegina author used functions/options only available in the new version you may still have problems. Worth a try though.

I have had this work on an older Win7 laptop I have and it let me play quite a few of the games. My Win7 is 64 bit though - so good luck and wish you luck! :>)

H2R

Jul 9, 2020
how many paths are there? and is there a way to do them all at the same time?

pervikar

Oct 2, 2021
If you have some (slightly) older versions of games that still work - one last thing you can try:
- Copy one entire folder for a game that still works and make a new copy of it.
- Go into this new folder and remove all the contents of the game folder
- Copy all the content from the newest Ataegina/game folder into this now empty game folder
- Try to restart the game.
- This works best with a fresh copy of the game that has never been played or run. Also, if the Ataegina author used functions/options only available in the new version you may still have problems. Worth a try though.

I have had this work on an older Win7 laptop I have and it let me play quite a few of the games. My Win7 is 64 bit though - so good luck and wish you luck! :>)
Zephea you are greatest genius I had pleasure to encounter on this board! Good luck that I upgraded my Win 7 on 64 about 2 years ago so I copied Ataegina's 0.6.7 game folder to Romancing the kingdom 1.0 which I didn't played yet, just turned on once to see if it works. And your suggestion works! You have my undying gratitude. I'm still curious why some versions of 7.4 RENPY work and some don't on my PC but right now I'm off to see Isa posthaste! Thank you so much one more time!

Zephea

Engaged Member
Sep 7, 2019
Zephea you are greatest genius I had pleasure to encounter on this board! Good luck that I upgraded my Win 7 on 64 about 2 years ago so I copied Ataegina's 0.6.7 game folder to Romancing the kingdom 1.0 which I didn't played yet, just turned on once to see if it works. And your suggestion works! You have my undying gratitude. I'm still curious why some versions of 7.4 RENPY work and some don't on my PC but right now I'm off to see Isa posthaste! Thank you so much one more time!
I am SOOO glad! YAY! Enjoy and remember the 'tricks', there are a few. **winks** :)

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
what are your computer's specs?

4.10 star(s) 174 Votes