Mod Ren'Py Bad Memories [v0.8.5] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

yolochase69

Jan 12, 2018
Didn't work for me on Fedora, the same "close at launch" thing others said about Mac.
yeah, I checked the log, and it is closing out upon not finding steam (at least for me). It might work if Steam was installed on the system first. Or it may just go on to the next error...

Neoempiricist

Oct 23, 2020
Apologies but I don't support Mac. I'm fairly confident you'd have to virtual machine to run my mods on it.
I understand that you are probably heavily invested in Windows and that your code is therefore not universal. That is fine though it does mean those of us who inhabit the Mac-verse are denied the intelligence that you have evidently incorporated in the mod. I think that this limitation (PC Only) should be expressed on the title page of both your mod and the parent game page to avoid inevitable disappointment for those of us heavily invested in MacOS. Before Shaddy passed on the baton, his code was not OS-specific and we lived happily in a conjoined universe of Mac and PC. In fact, all other modders that I have come across produce universal ( across OSs, not versions!) mods for the games here.

Is there also a "lean version" of your mod which will work for us MacOSers that you could produce? Is your mod so structured that certain components could be excised to make it Mac-capable without crashing the mod?

Just a few thoughts…

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I understand that you are probably heavily invested in Windows and that your code is therefore not universal. That is fine though it does mean those of us who inhabit the Mac-verse are denied the intelligence that you have evidently incorporated in the mod. I think that this limitation (PC Only) should be expressed on the title page of both your mod and the parent game page to avoid inevitable disappointment for those of us heavily invested in MacOS. Before Shaddy passed on the baton, his code was not OS-specific and we lived happily in a conjoined universe of Mac and PC. In fact, all other modders that I have come across produce universal ( across OSs, not versions!) mods for the games here.

Is there also a "lean version" of your mod which will work for us MacOSers that you could produce? Is your mod so structured that certain components could be excised to make it Mac-capable without crashing the mod?

Just a few thoughts…
Some context if I may. This mod core pushes some limits, it's not the rampantly elementary "color the best choice green, push it out and beg for donations" type of mod like the others. Those are compatible by default since they don't change anything except a few text color tags and/or some very basic scripting, they didn't code anything special to be cross-platform. As an example this mod calls the OpenGL API extensively for animations and graphical enhancements which will automatically be an issue for mobile OS but with some tweaking it might be OSX tolerant. I'm not gloating or being snarky, I'm just pointing out that there was always going to be a higher probability of compatibility issues on platforms I don't have access to test (it wasn't coded to be anyway since it's created for personal-use). But that doesn't mean I've given up, we've already found solutions for some Linux users as an example.

With that sorted, since I don't have an OSX test machine nor do I intend on acquiring one, are you willing to guinea pig test patches? If not then I'll need some time to see if one of my other testers is willing though I believe they are all either Win or Linux. Let me know and I'll shoot you patches to test via the messaging system as long as you're willing to agree that those correspondences remain private. Regards.

Neoempiricist

Oct 23, 2020
Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I do appreciate the issue of creating cross-platform coding for a mod which seeks to be more than the usual addition of tags (yes, my spelling is consistent with my origin) plus some simple additions.

I would be happy to act as a tester, though my turnaround time may occasionally be constrained by other real-world considerations. I would respect the privacy of any communications as this would be a reciprocal expectation. Specifically, I would not share anything you send to me with any other party. I neither have the skill nor the inclination to make use of your code other than as a user testing its robustness. So, by all means send to me and I will see if it breaks on OSX. Regards.

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I do appreciate the issue of creating cross-platform coding for a mod which seeks to be more than the usual addition of tags (yes, my spelling is consistent with my origin) plus some simple additions.

I would be happy to act as a tester, though my turnaround time may occasionally be constrained by other real-world considerations. I would respect the privacy of any communications as this would be a reciprocal expectation. Specifically, I would not share anything you send to me with any other party. I neither have the skill nor the inclination to make use of your code other than as a user testing its robustness. So, by all means send to me and I will see if it breaks on OSX. Regards.
Message w/ patch sent. Absolutley no rush and thank you in advance for your assistance. Regards.

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Ubuntu and OSX tested and passed by volunteer testers. Please try the following and let me know if it works for you. If so I'll change the link in the OP. Regards

Temporary link: beta

Mentions for folks that had issues that I'm aware of for notification:
ceroffin yolochase69 Ithilion sinbsd

jufot

May 15, 2021
What do the values in the parentheses mean? I thought (Lo) might be love, but then what is (L)?

1633546495942.png

jufot

May 15, 2021
(Lo) is assumed love, (L) is also assumed love but I didn't want to spell out either since it's not 100% from the dev yet. (Ob) is not obsession though, it is obedience. Regards.
Good to know, thanks! I'm guessing the answer is no, but do you know whether the points are necessary to stay on a girl's path? For example, if I want Rachel, but not in an obedient/sub kind of way, can I keep her path open as long as I don't trigger some variable? Or maybe Rachel has to be obedient, or not an LI at all?

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Good to know, thanks! I'm guessing the answer is no, but do you know whether the points are necessary to stay on a girl's path? For example, if I want Rachel, but not in an obedient/sub kind of way, can I keep her path open as long as I don't trigger some variable? Or maybe Rachel has to be obedient, or not an LI at all?
Until the story is fleshed out more there's really no way for any of us to know the dev's gameplan tbh. Studying the entire script I would lean to saying that it likely won't matter since, if it did change more than dialogue, he may have to completely rewrite all the variables. This can be done but most devs tend to try and find workarounds. We'll see. Until then you can always keep a couple different saves and name the descriptions of the route taken. The mod will allow you to do that with ease.

Reactions: jufot

CharleyT

Jun 12, 2018
I think your Mod is excellent, even though I just started. I've played the game before, and I think your modded version just seems more...attractive(?), but do you rewrite any of the script? I may need to be in the original game thread for this, lol...every time I see the word "Hun", I think of Hungarians, not that there's anything wrong with Hungarians, lmao, but I don't think that's Rachel's intent! I know, it's a really small thing, but I'm OCD like that, "Hon" is short for honey.

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I think your Mod is excellent, even though I just started. I've played the game before, and I think your modded version just seems more...attractive(?), but do you rewrite any of the script? I may need to be in the original game thread for this, lol...every time I see the word "Hun", I think of Hungarians, not that there's anything wrong with Hungarians, lmao, but I don't think that's Rachel's intent! I know, it's a really small thing, but I'm OCD like that, "Hon" is short for honey.
Good morning. Nope, I didn't modify any dialogue at all...zero percent. The scripts are modified to carry the variable codes needed by the mod for various things like the ChoiceGuide, etc though. None of these change any of the dialogue though. The story is 100% on the dev. Regards.

neil92

Jan 30, 2018
Good morning. Nope, I didn't modify any dialogue at all...zero percent. The scripts are modified to carry the variable codes needed by the mod for various things like the ChoiceGuide, etc though. None of these change any of the dialogue though. The story is 100% on the dev. Regards.
Can u change the mod file from mega to nopy/workupload or something like that except Mediafire. mega.nz doesn't work here

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Can u change the mod file from mega to nopy/workupload or something like that except Mediafire. mega.nz doesn't work here
Good evening. Well, not until I find another host I can trust and I don't allow mirrors. Just use a VPN for now if needed, it's a simple thing really. Regards.

Reactions: neil92
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes